Dubai scam!!! | ExpatWoman.com

Dubai scam!!!

Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 12:59

I can't believe I would fall to such a scam when there is an EW page for this (talk about being an idiot!). Just charged 1,500dhs and gave the pin to this guy. I wonder why I am such an idiot on a Sunday morning and losing money is just painful :(

Hope you ladies don't fall to the same.
<em>edited by AprilD on 20/04/2014</em>

Latest post on 13 February 2024 - 22:44
I just am facing "scam" with DU sim card which I have never signed up and asked to pay AED 3500. If anyone had same/similar issue? Someone signed up DU post paid card Jun 2014. According to DU, my EID and signature are matching. Copied credit card was not readable, and registered address was blank, email address was my family name @yahoo.com which was not mine. this person spent over AED 3500 and due to payment failure, DU deactivated the account but still existing under my EID. Recently for the first time I tried to purchase DU sim card ( till now I only have Etisalat SIM ), at that time I found this heart attacking issue. ** Now I found it wasn't the call but this person bought a 2 year package with iPhone.... Unreadable credit card copy and false email address shows quite clear that the person purposely done this so that I will not find it so quickly, and as a matter of fact, I didn't know it for 9 years. Though it is not nice but all I can think of was that when I visited DU counter and did some payment for home service under my husband's name, the person might have asked my EID for some reason ( I can not remember any ) and used it to sign up. Please if anyone can help to solve this issue?
Latest post on 13 February 2024 - 12:58
I just am facing "scam" with DU sim card which I have never signed up and asked to pay AED 3500. If anyone had same/similar issue? Someone signed up DU post paid card Jun 2014. According to D...
I am also facing the same type scam with DU SIM , which I never signed up for. I too asked to pay around AED 3500. It seems that someone signed up for a DU postpaid card in June 2017 using my canceled Emirates ID. That person has incurred charges of around AED 3500 on iTunes, and payments were made from the DU postpaid account and it due to me. In 2019, when I try to purchase a DU prepaid SIM card, I came to know about this scam. The person who fraudulently obtained the SIM card used a fake Etisalat Abu Dhabi-based landline bill as address proof, and I was unaware of this for two years. Du never sent any e-bill or any notification about it to me. I remember canceling my visa in 2016 when I was working in a company at that time. The PRO did not return my canceled Emirates ID, stating that he did not get it back from where he cancelled it. Later, I learned from DU that the same canceled ID was used to apply for this SIM card in 2017. I have made several complaints about it to Du, but they don't want to listen to me, they just threatened me saying that if I don't make this payment, they will put it in the Etihad Credit Beauro and it will affect my credit score and all. I still didn't pay this and it is showing in the credit score.
Latest post on 10 July 2014 - 13:52
Its not just hospitals but ALL of Dubai's big, local companies are being targetted.
Latest post on 10 July 2014 - 13:37
Another scam to add from GN today [u'>International fraudsters target UAE hospitals in job scam[/u'> [u'>Modus operandi[/u'> 1. Fraudster sends an email to the candidate, asking him to fill up a questionnaire and choose the post he wishes to apply for from a host of ‘jobs’ on offer 2. Within weeks, F sends another email, informing C that he has been ‘accepted’ for the role he had applied for 3. C is now sent a ‘terms of employment’ that promises an outrageous ‘flat’ salary plus perks and he is asked to review and accept it 4. On accepting the offer by email, C is now sent a UAE ‘visa application form’ and contact details of a ‘travel agent’ designated to arrange visas 5. C is now required to pay $1,450 per person and $2,650 per family towards ‘immigration’ charges 6. C makes the payment in the hope of securing his ‘dream job’. However, most certainly will never hear from F ever again. http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime/international-fraudsters-target-uae-hospitals-in-job-scam-1.1357821 <em>edited by Alismum on 10/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 June 2014 - 01:06
Not a Dubai scam but I am sure a very common thing and very irritating none the less.. Just about every day I receive bogus contact requests on Skype - up to 10 a day sometimes.. all American Generals in Afghanistan or Doctors in the USA .. or so they would have me believe.. with the occasional request to be the recipient of $1000,0000,0000 from some African bank account of a rich, dead, dictator or president. The same user photos crop up time and time again with different names and appalling English.. if they were really Generals in the American Army or Doctors then God help us... I always just decline and block but is there a way to stop them seeing that I am female and in Dubai? I have looked at my public profile on Skype and privacy settings countless times but cannot see a way to hide this information. I will never fall for it but would like to know how to block the endless contact requests if anyone has any information on how to do that? edited by Genie on 20/06/2014 <em>edited by Genie on 20/06/2014</em>
Latest post on 19 June 2014 - 20:28
At least VictoriaM your experience was easy, mine was very interesting! Last thursday I received a call from Etisalat Number telling me his name - one word and I can't remember it - and he is calling me from AD Etisalat, how are you?! I told him I am fine thank you, and you? I am great ma'am! Then he told me that I had won Etisalat 500 K dhs, and I should put this PIN number for more instruction to follow how to receive my half a million! I told him; okay, why you are calling from a mobile number? he said I am calling you from Abu Dhabi and this number is a computer generated number! so I told him why Etislat number 101 didn't show on my phone, this won't be the first time Etisalat calls me? again he repeated the same sentence. then I told him maybe because you are a scammer and trying your luck, I want you to know that I am reporting you to the police because there are no such a thing like you said, scammer! then hanged up. he called me back!! like 7 times, a call after a call, on the 8th I picked up and told him if you called again this time won't be scamming, it will be harassing, and hanged up, he called agin! this time found my kids whistle and when he called second time I just blow the whistle! and hanged up! believe me he kept calling another 3 times!!! I did report him, by the night he called me again! this time handed over my phone to DH, once DH said hello, the scammer hanged up! and never called again! this number was what you call special numbers that they sell. so I really don't get what was the propose of calling me, even after I told him off! this has been going on "for years" we all have the same last 4 digits of sim cards or something... just ignore...
Latest post on 19 June 2014 - 20:12
Dear Victoria, The best thing to do would be to call Emirates ID helpline although doubt a scammer could do anything without the actual card and all your other details but better to be safe than sorry. 600530003 HTH <em>edited by admin on 19/06/2014</em>
Latest post on 19 June 2014 - 19:28
Also, ADmin or anyone else, is there an agency to which I need to report the fact that someone has fraudulently obtained my EMirates ID card number? I assume it could be used for identity theft. The PRO at my husbands work may know perhaps.
Latest post on 19 June 2014 - 18:59
Thanks Admin. I have reported it to DU, who are 'escalating´ it to whoever deals with these things. They didn't sound too concerned. They did say I could go to the local police station to open a case. As a Western female, I dont really feel comfortable doing that on my own. Will check what your information says about police.
Latest post on 19 June 2014 - 17:55
I get a lot of promotions from Etisalat on my pre-pay phone. eg pay 50 dhs to the uk and get 250 mins free. I've never thought about them, so have not double checked with Etisalat. Are they genuine?
Latest post on 19 June 2014 - 16:30
Hi There, We've got a big feature on common scams in Dubai here including where to report the phone ones too https://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/guide/faqs/common-scams-in-dubai-you-should-be-aware-of
Latest post on 19 June 2014 - 16:23
At least VictoriaM your experience was easy, mine was very interesting! Last thursday I received a call from Etisalat Number telling me his name - one word and I can't remember it - and he is calling me from AD Etisalat, how are you?! I told him I am fine thank you, and you? I am great ma'am! Then he told me that I had won Etisalat 500 K dhs, and I should put this PIN number for more instruction to follow how to receive my half a million! I told him; okay, why you are calling from a mobile number? he said I am calling you from Abu Dhabi and this number is a computer generated number! so I told him why Etislat number 101 didn't show on my phone, this won't be the first time Etisalat calls me? again he repeated the same sentence. then I told him maybe because you are a scammer and trying your luck, I want you to know that I am reporting you to the police because there are no such a thing like you said, scammer! then hanged up. he called me back!! like 7 times, a call after a call, on the 8th I picked up and told him if you called again this time won't be scamming, it will be harassing, and hanged up, he called agin! this time found my kids whistle and when he called second time I just blow the whistle! and hanged up! believe me he kept calling another 3 times!!! I did report him, by the night he called me again! this time handed over my phone to DH, once DH said hello, the scammer hanged up! and never called again! this number was what you call special numbers that they sell. so I really don't get what was the propose of calling me, even after I told him off!
Latest post on 19 June 2014 - 16:03
I just had an identical call to April from someone claiming to be from Du advising me that I am the lucky winner of AED200,000. Fortunately I didnt fall for the scam (well not completely anyway). However, just a warning, it was very realistic, and despite being justifiably sceptical of this sort of call/SMS, I actually started to believe the spiel. I got put through to a 'supervisor' who said he was local, which really added to the believability of the call. he certainly sounded Arabic. Yes they are very clever: 'my name is xxxxxx (long Arab name), I am local, I would not joke with you....... It was only when he asked me to go and buy Du vouchers for AED1,250 from the supermarket and not put the phone down that I smelt a very big rat and said no, I wasnt going to do that. Swift end of call, no surprise! Im posting this here as another warning to all you ladies out here. I will call Du to report it in a moment and give them the number. But I also wanted to check on a couple of things that concern me. First, this was a missed call that I phoned back. I think I read in another thread that that is a problem for some reason I dont remember. Does anyone know why it matters that I called them back? Apart from confirming that this is a genuine line. Second, I did not give them any bank/phone account details, but they did ask for my ID number. Can they do anything with that number, and do I need to report that to the police? And yes I know, I was stupid of me to have given them any information at all.
Latest post on 20 May 2014 - 19:29
sometimes these people just get you at the wrong time x you are right jesp
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 20:20
Once I got that call for winning Etisalat grand prize. But I also keep receiving emails where some1 is trying to transfer some funds from 1 country to another and stuff similar. If its too good to be true, it is.
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 17:05
This reminds me of the day my dad got such a scam call about winning a significant amount of money. My dad says to the guy on the phone, 'really that's great news what a lucky day! I want you to have ALL of it, go ahead enjoy it and have a great time.' Needless to say there was a click at the other end. Haha
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 16:24
what are you talking about? I received a call from this guy who said he's working from du. Then he asked for my account no. and he then told me I've won 200,000dhs from duty free and I have to process 1,500dhs of recharge card to claim it... I hate being new to Dubai... :( Perhaps a good time to remember as well that banks, phone companies, DEWA and the like are NOT supposed to ask you for your account number: all those details should be on file. If anyone in the future asks for your acct number or PIN or password, then you're probably being scammed. This obviously doesn't apply if you are phoning your own bank and you go through the official steps to speak to a customer services agent to ask about your own account and they have to verify you to provide the information. ;) Rotten for you, OP, but once bitten as they say ...
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 10:04
I just found [url=http://www.i-whizz.net/?menu=home'>this[/url'> website, I think they send out an sms fooling people into thinking they are Carrefour (but they don't actually say they are Carrefour, just say you have been [i'>selected [/i'>to win Carrefour vouchers) and get you to subscribe to their service. It's some lucky draw service and it does mention the number 3880 in their T&C. I don't have the sms anymore to check though, I deleted it. [i'>Is this yr number ********** ?! This is your LUCKY DAY! You were selected to WIN AED2000 Carrefour Vouchers. Send 'WIN' to 3880 and grab them"[/i'> <em>edited by Alismum on 16/05/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 09:24
Thanks ladies, I know it sounds too good to be true. Anyway I rang C4 yesterday and they didn't know anything about vouchers, so it's definitely a scam to extract credit from your phone by calling 3880. I do wonder what C4 are going to do with this information. It's a scam in their name after all.
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 09:20
Thanks ladies, I know it sounds too good to be true. Anyway I rang C4 yesterday and they didn't know anything about vouchers, so it's definitely a scam to extract credit from your phone by calling 3880.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 08:03
I have had a call from an Etisalat number saying I won an amount of money. I told them I am reporting them to Etisalat and I did. I try not to give my number to any store and I don't fill in any membership forms apart from Carrefour Card. I agree with Madge, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. So better be safe than sorry and always verify before getting into something that most likely is a scam.
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 03:25
I do have Carrefour cards and Carrefour do have my details Any number of companies here have your details. All of us routinely have our mobile numbers and other personal information sold on as part of marketing deals. If you buy a brand-new SIM card here and never use it, before long you will start getting spam texts and marketing calls to it. My maxim is always that faithful old standby, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". If Carrefour really was giving away 2000 AED of vouchers in return for a text, chances are they'd be promoting it publicly and loudly. But as has been said, give their service centre a call and ask them. What I definitely *wouldn't* do is send the text on the off-chance. If it's a scam, not only would you be confirming to the scammers that your mobile number is active, but it could be set up so that the text costs you a very large amount of money. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 16/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 01:17
If I was a member of Carrefours reward schemes already my curiosity would get the better of me and for the sake of 4 Dhs I would text WIN to that number. IF then they texted back requiring payment or phone credit etc I would send another text but it would say something completely different from WIN... :D
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 13:37
Ladies is this a scam or not? Can't find anything on google [i'>"is this yr nr (my number)?! This is your LUCKY DAY! You were selected to WIN AED2000 Carrefour Vouchers. Send 'WIN' to 3880 and grab them"[/i'> I do have Carrefour cards and Carrefour do have my details. What do you think? edited by Alismum on 15/05/2014 Instead of speculating, call them. yes I will just checking here first to see if anyone has had the same text.
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 13:17
Ladies is this a scam or not? Can't find anything on google [i'>"is this yr nr (my number)?! This is your LUCKY DAY! You were selected to WIN AED2000 Carrefour Vouchers. Send 'WIN' to 3880 and grab them"[/i'> I do have Carrefour cards and Carrefour do have my details. What do you think? edited by Alismum on 15/05/2014 Instead of speculating, call them. I would say it is a scam. If in doubt call their call centre and ask
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 13:12
Ladies is this a scam or not? Can't find anything on google [i'>"is this yr nr (my number)?! This is your LUCKY DAY! You were selected to WIN AED2000 Carrefour Vouchers. Send 'WIN' to 3880 and grab them"[/i'> I do have Carrefour cards and Carrefour do have my details. What do you think? edited by Alismum on 15/05/2014 Instead of speculating, call them.
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 13:11
Ladies is this a scam or not? Can't find anything on google [i'>"is this yr nr (my number)?! This is your LUCKY DAY! You were selected to WIN AED2000 Carrefour Vouchers. Send 'WIN' to 3880 and grab them"[/i'> I do have Carrefour cards and Carrefour do have my details. What do you think? <em>edited by Alismum on 15/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 10:36
sometimes these people just get you at the wrong time x
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 10:02
The OP made a mistake - ok, so a silly one, but why is everyone "giggling" at her ?? How easy do you suppose it was for her to come on here and admit to it ? But she did so purely to help prevent anyone else falling into the same trap ... And at the same time, another poster (one of the "gigglers", no less) makes an equally brave admission that she is suffering a mental illness and receives nothing but support ... How fair is that ?? DT usually I don’t agree with all your posts, but this time you nailed it. Thumb up to you :)
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 09:39
And to everyone out there, this is what I've found on EW about the common scams in Dubai! [url=http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_Common_Scams_In_Dubai_8745.aspx'>link[/url'> Oh... lesson learnt!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY