Hiring a maid on visit visa from the Philippines. | ExpatWoman.com

Hiring a maid on visit visa from the Philippines.

Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 12:41

We have finally decided to bite the bullet and try hire a full time maid.

Our neighbours have a lovely maid who has a cousin who is looking for a job as a maid. I have spoken to her a few times on skype and she wants to come here from the Philippines on a visit/tourist visa to see her cousin and to meet us. If we like her we would like to hire her. However I am not entirely sure how to go about that? Is there anyone who has experience with hiring a maid that is in the country on a visit/tourist visa? Any advise greatly appreciated thanks!

Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 17:24
A word of caution, though. The Philippines' airport immigation officials are known to give a hard time to Filipinos who hold visit visas to Dubai. If they think the passenger is travelling to look for a job, the worst thing that could happen is she misses the flight because they won't allow her to travel. You just need to make sure her cousin teaches her how to answer and look confident if she's questioned.
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 16:56
We're going through the same for our new maid from Nipal. She is on tourist visa, & we were told she needs to leave to Kish before getting the pink slip. I think it changed recently, my dad hired a secretary from the Philippines on a tourist visa last year, she didn't have to leave, they paid extra (I think AED 650), but now it changed for employees & maids
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 14:45
Then I think that if we do decide to hire this lady it will mean a trip to Kish for her. Just hope she won't be stuck there for too long as it seems like a bit of a silly trip. Just out of interest when was the last time you hired a maid? You mentioned this was recent? Who knows they may have changed the rules again... last thursday ;) Just to add, she entered on a tourist visa. <em>edited by xmasbaby on 21/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 14:32
we have a Nepalese maid but when we first bought her to Dubai we bought her on a maid visa (but at that stage the document is called an entry permit)... we basically had the next 30 days to decide whether she was a good fit for the family before actually processing her visa (the stage that costs the 5000/-)... thankfully for us she was (is) amazing and we processed her visa but had we decided otherwise then she could have easily just been sent back at the end of the 30days and all it would have cost us was for the typing of the entry permit and the flight tickets.
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 14:23
Worth asking your company PRO if they can help? Ours did (we hadn't expected them to at all) and we paid them the money and they arranged it all, and it meant they were able to get the pink slip in advance so we flew our lady to Muscat and straight back. This was at the end of November after the rules had changed. There were some very good posts about it all in the Maids section back then that really helped. Good luck x
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 13:53
Then I think that if we do decide to hire this lady it will mean a trip to Kish for her. Just hope she won't be stuck there for too long as it seems like a bit of a silly trip. Just out of interest when was the last time you hired a maid? You mentioned this was recent? Who knows they may have changed the rules again...
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 12:59
Thanks for your reply Xmasbaby. We are a little reluctant to hire her before meeting her as it will be our first time employing a maid. I was searching other posts, but the ones I found were a little old and mentioned that essentially it is impossible to hire a maid from the Philippines without making use of an agency (who charge quite a lot). Do you know if this is still the case? I also read that instead of sending them to Kish you can let them fly to Oman and then they come back the same day so won't have to stay overnight etc. We brought ours from the phillipines directly with no issue. We were also told that by immigration that we could send to Oman. We booked the flight and she was meant to leave that evening, then we went for the pink slip. It was then that they informed us that she had to exit first, before they would issue the pink slip. We asked to pay, but they said the rule had changed. We spoke to people all the wayu up the Captain. So we ended up losing the flight to Oman as they didnt' issue any reimbursements and had to send her to Kish. The reason Kish vs Oman is because they need a specific visa to enter Oman, which they don't need for Kish. In the end, it worked out. By way of background, we have been here about 7 years and have done 2 maids, and a driver so are fairly experienced in the process. Its only when it changes that it becomes confusing :) <em>edited by xmasbaby on 21/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 12:57
Thanks for your reply Xmasbaby. We are a little reluctant to hire her before meeting her as it will be our first time employing a maid. I was searching other posts, but the ones I found were a little old and mentioned that essentially it is impossible to hire a maid from the Philippines without making use of an agency (who charge quite a lot). Do you know if this is still the case? I also read that instead of sending them to Kish you can let them fly to Oman and then they come back the same day so won't have to stay overnight etc.
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 12:51
Someone did an excellent post on this the other day but I couldn't find it. Essentially, if you are going to hire her, your best bed is to do it before she arrives. Now, if she arrives on a visit visa, she has to officially exit the country, you then process it, and then get her the copy of the visa, (leave the original at the airport) and then she re-enters. We had to send our maid to Kish Island. Previously you were able to pay a "conversion" fee to avoid the hassel but apparently the rules have changed very recently. To avoid the flight costs of her having to fly to kish, hotel, it would make sense for you to do the process before she comes and send her the email copy of the visa, she can print and just enter. The downside is you won't meet her before she arrives.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY