Formalin and Grapes? | ExpatWoman.com

Formalin and Grapes?

Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 09:29

I was out grocery shopping at one of the large supermarket chains yesterday and they had really nice juicy looking red globe grapes on sale. As I was standing in front of this mountainous pile of grapes, I realized it smelled somewhat funny. It triggered my smell associated memory and a few seconds later, I realized what the smell reminded me of ----> formaldehyde! It was an unpleasant association because the last time I smelt that when I was dissecting cadavers in a lab!

I do have an annoyingly acute sense of smell, and that our smell association is just what it is, an association only. Grapes do contain very small quantity of natural formaldehyde, but I had never had such pungent smell experience with grapes that I associated them with cadavers. I was wondering if any of you have smelled this in the last two days buying red globe grapes. It could pose a serious health hazard if true, but at the same time, I do not want to be sued in a libel case. Perhaps I have just gone paranoid after watching those fake eggs, fake grapes, fake buns, fake intestines on youtubes :D

Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 22:12
Izzy, I've never seen organic, local grapes for sale in a grocery here. The nearest you get to local is...India.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 11:34
Buy local and organic, solves the problem :)
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 11:06
This morning I made a trip to this supermarket in question, the red globe grapes were no where to be seen. However, I noticed that they used the exact same sign for the green grapes because it read [Red Globe Grapes - S/A - 5.95/kg'> next to them. Hmmm........
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 14:31
When I was young I remember hearing from my parents on how some brands of American apples were not good as they were sprayed with stuff to make them shine, and while they could not use it on fruits sold sold within the US, it was used on exported stuff
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 13:49
It would not surprise me if they spray it with something to keep them looking fresh longer. Last summer my husband bought grapes, put them in the fridge, came back after about a month, and they were still "fresh".... This would not happen with the grapes you pick from your garden. Also, I would not rely on the fact that if something is banned in Australia or other western countries, it's not used on fruits if they are destined specifically for export. I don't believe they have to follow the rules if they are not selling in their country. I have seen some products that have a small print: "Not to be sold in XY", where is XY is the country of origin or "For Export Only". I don't know the reason for sure, but I thought it was because it contains something that is banned in that country. <em>edited by sand_dunes_dubai on 22/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 13:18
omg! i have a cold so did not smell anything but my kids have been munching on the stuff......
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 12:37
I normally take note of the country of origins when I buy fruits because I want to know if it is worth the (extra/higher) costs. I have noticed that they have been having the red globe grapes sales for the last two weeks or so, and this week it is at 5.95/kg. Then I was distracted by the smell and forgot everything else......I will check tomorrow if I go back there.
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 12:17
There are only 4/5 countries from where you get grapes here, so maybe you can tell us which one it was so that those of use with less acute senses of smell can avoid them ?!
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 11:24
Its possible you are right. Some countries do still dip grapes and other fruits and even fish in formalin, best look for a place of origin where the use of formaldehyde is banned such as Australia and other western exporters.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY