Dress Maker? | ExpatWoman.com

Dress Maker?

Latest post on 21 May 2014 - 17:12
I just went to this very good tailor shop it is located in Motor City. I went there do my sisters Prom dress and several alterations they are excellent and comes with a good pricing. The place is clean and staff is very accommodating. I think it is in the Detroit House Building on the first floor. you can contact them anytime this is the number 044313117
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 19:30
Someone I know recently started a boutique for tailoring. It's called Lolo A and is at I-Rise Tower, Ground floor in Tecom. I have not yet tried her but some friends who have are pleased. She is fairly reasonable though not Satwa prices. I've had friends who have had bad experiences in Satwa and am not sure about giving them expensive fabrics.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 12:08
LH, I had a very simple sleeveless top copied from an original, made by Coventry tailors and they charged AED175, Dreamgirls would probably have cost AED100 for the same. I don't mind paying more if I get a better quality, but I still had to go back twice for them to get it right. I have also tried a VERY expensive tailor, Tatiana, she charged AED1200 for a short cocktail dress, one side of the neck was crooked and when they tried to fix it, they made it even worse. It was also very uncomfortable to wear. All these prices are excluding fabric. There are lots of fabric shops in Satwa, best quality and choice is Regal.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 06:19
I have not had good experience with Dreamgirls, nothing was ever right. I have also tried Coventry tailors but didn't think much of them either, a bit better than Dreamgirls and much more expensive. Poor quality workmanship all round, if I am honest. Others have recommended a british tailor in Satwa, I think the shop is called Montexa, (double check it) and say she is excellent for evening and bridal gowns. Good luck Do you mind sharing the price you have paid in the past at these shops? I have a simple dress bought in Thailand that I'd like to have copied if possible. Also, do they offer a good variety of fabrics? New to this ;)
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 22:07
Thanks for that suggestion, Mum2girls. If it was just a dress for me, I wouldn't be so bothered, but as it is for my sister.....and it's an evening dress, I want to find someone good.
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 21:50
I have not had good experience with Dreamgirls, nothing was ever right. I have also tried Coventry tailors but didn't think much of them either, a bit better than Dreamgirls and much more expensive. Poor quality workmanship all round, if I am honest. Others have recommended a british tailor in Satwa, I think the shop is called Montexa, (double check it) and say she is excellent for evening and bridal gowns. Good luck
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 20:37
Thanks Yorkielass12......we will give them a go, although might try a simple dress first before we try the more complicated evening dress.
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 19:50
My friend got bridesmaid dresses (copied from a fancy design) made by Dreamgirl tailors in Satwa. Excellent quality. I've also used Hamid from Dreamgirl at the same branch and he's made numerous posh evening dresses for me over the years. Can't recommend them highly enough. They're on Satwa Road close to the big mosque and the post office.
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 17:16
Thank you, Desertrose. Fully worth it for a wedding dress but probably a bit pricy for a dress for my sister. Thanks, anyway.
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 17:02
The wedding dress was over 4,000 AED, but sure it would be much less for a bridesmaids dress.
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 16:53
Ha ha.....I just re read the posts and it dawned on me that I had probably got the wrong price. Wild you mind giving me some idea of price.....if its not too cheeky. I'm reluctant to send my sister to any of the tailors that I have ever used (too many disasters lol) but just don't want to send her to someone good who may be too pricey for her.
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 16:48
Thank you DesertRose83. My sister is keen to get a nice evening dress copied when she comes out on holiday and I know of course that it depends on the dress style, but I wanted an idea of price for her. I also don't know of any good tailors, so your thread was great timing. The dress you had done seems very reasonable. So thanks for the info. edited by snowflake on 22/04/2014 Sorry for the confusion, didn't get those dresses made actually, got them in a store. I had my wedding dress made, but that was a fair bit pricier.
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 16:37
Thank you DesertRose83. My sister is keen to get a nice evening dress copied when she comes out on holiday and I know of course that it depends on the dress style, but I wanted an idea of price for her. I also don't know of any good tailors, so your thread was great timing. The dress you had done seems very reasonable. So thanks for the info. <em>edited by snowflake on 22/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 16:13
Hope you don't mind me asking, but approximately how much did it cost for your bridesmaid dress? I only spent 195 aed per dress. Was a bit of luck at the time, as they were actually cheaper here than in the UK.
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 15:49
Hope you don't mind me asking, but approximately how much did it cost for your bridesmaid dress?
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 14:53
I recently got married and had the bridesmaid dress made by Barbaranne at Moirai Style. http://moiraistyle.com/ I gave her a picture of the dress and she made it exactly how we wanted it. I also had a evening dress made for myself and both were very well made. I'm sure she would be able to help you out, there is also a Facebook page. HTH Good luck <em>edited by Yorky on 22/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 14:19
Not got enough wedding drama in my life clearly as I just created another hitch. Have added another bridesmaid and groomsmen (after much to and froing about how many were going to be in the wedding party). I have dresses for the other bridesmaids already, but of course they are no longer in stock. Does anyone know of a dress maker that will make me one that matches or just slightly different for the maid of honour?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY