Neighbour's maid | ExpatWoman.com

Neighbour's maid

Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 08:00

Just returned from holiday to hear from my maid that a neighbour's maid has been locked in their house while they've been on holiday. I am absolutely horrified that someone could do this and intend to have strong words with them when they return today. I have offered to call the Philippine embassy for her but she doesn't want that as she says she owes money in the Philippines.this is a family who have had a number of maids run away ( wonder why?) they have left this poor girl with a loaf of bread for the week and a friend comes to check on her like she's an animal. Any suggestions of what I can do?

Latest post on 10 May 2014 - 13:26
yes please....updates?
Latest post on 26 April 2014 - 08:34
So what happened to the maid?
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 18:47
What does the maid want you to do? It's incredibly dangerous to lock somebody in the house, imagine if there was a fire. There is absolutly no justification for doing so. If the maid wants you to call the police then I would do so (or give her a phone so she can). Otherwise maybe either break a window or call a locksmith, and present your neighbours with the bill when they return. You can't leave her in there.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 17:09
OP I would take the advice you have been given. First of all, you don't know if it's true. Maids nor employers are always honest. Second, if you get involved and it turns out it wasn't true, you could be in serious trouble. She might have misplaced keys in the house which make her not able to leave the house. With all the crazy stuff happening I still can't believe that she is locked up during her employers home. That doesn't mean your maid is lying, she is only telling what she was told.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 17:07
The balcony faces the street. She was able to attract my maids attention and speak to her so nothing strange or sinister there, so not sure why that would not make sense! Realising why I haven't posted here for some time and needed to sign up again! Think I will be contacting the embassy as I really feel this is all wrong to treat a person in this way! so why didn't you in the first place ??
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 16:50
Nothing wrong with locking internal doors. I do that all the time as my bedroom is where I keep my safe. And the front and back door too?
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 15:44
Nothing wrong with locking internal doors. I do that all the time as my bedroom is where I keep my safe.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 15:03
The balcony faces the street. She was able to attract my maids attention and speak to her so nothing strange or sinister there, so not sure why that would not make sense! Realising why I haven't posted here for some time and needed to sign up again! Think I will be contacting the embassy as I really feel this is all wrong to treat a person in this way! if you think it's wrong - go to the police.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 14:59
The balcony faces the street. She was able to attract my maids attention and speak to her so nothing strange or sinister there, so not sure why that would not make sense! Realising why I haven't posted here for some time and needed to sign up again! Think I will be contacting the embassy as I really feel this is all wrong to treat a person in this way!
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 14:27
I would consider it being locked in if the only way [b'>out was to jump from a balcony![/b'> If she doesn't trust her why would she have her in her house and presumably look after her 'precious' children when she gets back! Glad I still have a grip on what's right and wrong in the real world unlike some on here. See you did not say this before did you? We can only go on the information that you posted and you did not include that bit before. As for judging your fellow posters who are trying to offer help all I can say is that on this board there are people who have lived here a very long time and have seen and heard it all- wrong and right on both sides of the equation. I cannot stomache abuse of maids ( or anyone else) but I know to act with caution when hearing second hand tales. As you are obviously convinced of the truth of this matter and feel obliged to do something -go ahead. But do not be surprised if either the truth is different or you get more than you bargained for.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 14:26
I would consider it being locked in if the only way out was to jump from a balcony! If she doesn't trust her why would she have her in her house and presumably look after her 'precious' children when she gets back! Glad I still have a grip on what's right and wrong in the real world unlike some on here. If the only exit was an upstairs balcony window, how was she able to talk to your maid? Sorry but this isn't making sense.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 14:09
If she can get out of one of the sliding doors and go and talk to other maids then she is not really locked in is she? [b'>I can see how some people would lock internal doors whilst they are away - say to the bedrooms or a room with valuables as there have been a number of cases of houses being cleared whilst the owners are away on holiday[/b'>. Not doubting your word or the maid's word BUT there are 2 sides to this and you are only hearing second hand through your maid. I would act with extreme caution before you consider speaking to them. edited by Genie on 23/04/2014 Especially if they have to leave the maid at home and they don't trust her .... Yes I know one couple in AD who came back from holiday to find that their much trusted male house help, who had been with them for over 10 years, had cleared the whole place while they were - every last single item. They did manage to track him down in Sri Lanka though. I have heard of plenty of other cases as well so it does not surprise me that people do this- although of course most maids would not do this - I can understand people taking precautions. <em>edited by Genie on 23/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 14:05
I would consider it being locked in if the only way out was to jump from a balcony! If she doesn't trust her why would she have her in her house and presumably look after her 'precious' children when she gets back! Glad I still have a grip on what's right and wrong in the real world unlike some on here.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 14:02
If she can get out of one of the sliding doors and go and talk to other maids then she is not really locked in is she? [b'>I can see how some people would lock internal doors whilst they are away - say to the bedrooms or a room with valuables as there have been a number of cases of houses being cleared whilst the owners are away on holiday[/b'>. Not doubting your word or the maid's word BUT there are 2 sides to this and you are only hearing second hand through your maid. I would act with extreme caution before you consider speaking to them. edited by Genie on 23/04/2014 Especially if they have to leave the maid at home and they don't trust her ....
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 14:00
If she can get out of one of the sliding doors and go and talk to other maids then she is not really locked in is she? I can see how some people would lock internal doors whilst they are away - say to the bedrooms or a room with valuables as there have been a number of cases of houses being cleared whilst the owners are away on holiday. Not doubting your word or the maid's word BUT there are 2 sides to this and you are only hearing second hand through your maid. I would act with extreme caution before you consider speaking to them. <em>edited by Genie on 23/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 13:56
So she's not locked in the house then?
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 13:52
Trust me I don't want to get involved! But it is all so disturbing. My maid has been with me for 3 years and I have no reason to doubt her word. The maid has been able to speak to others as she can get out of one of the sliding doors but as I say she wants to keep her job. I presume the family she works for have her passport and I presume she does not have the means to 'abscond' even if she wanted to. Even internal doors have been locked, apparently the friend came round yesterday to unlock some so she could clean, how kind! The family have a history with maids having had at least 2 runaway. Surely there should be a blacklist for such people to stop them sponsoring anyone in the future. They are due back today and I'm not sure I'll be able to stop my husband confronting them!
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 13:31
If you dont want to get directly involved you can call the AL AMEEN hotline and tell them what is going on. Its anonymous. Tel: 800 4888 http://www.alameen.ae/en/contact/Default.aspx
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 13:28
sugar sandwiches? Indonesian maids love these for breakfast. One could develop type 2 diabetes just from witnessing the act! The first time a maid did it in my house I was stunned, where had my 6 month supply of sugar gone? She had only been here 2 weeks. Then I saw her eating breakfast, trust me it was no sprinkle.......she packed it in. edited by CrashingWaves on 23/04/2014 not just that .. they then have a separate pile of the stuff in the corner of the plate and dip the sandwich in that with each mouthful ! All the while sipping their tea with 8 spoons of sugar. I can feel my blood sugar rising as i read this
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 13:25
sugar sandwiches? Indonesian maids love these for breakfast. One could develop type 2 diabetes just from witnessing the act! The first time a maid did it in my house I was stunned, where had my 6 month supply of sugar gone? She had only been here 2 weeks. Then I saw her eating breakfast, trust me it was no sprinkle.......she packed it in. edited by CrashingWaves on 23/04/2014 not just that .. they then have a separate pile of the stuff in the corner of the plate and dip the sandwich in that with each mouthful ! All the while sipping their tea with 8 spoons of sugar. ha ha ha ! Spot on ..
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 13:23
sugar sandwiches? Indonesian maids love these for breakfast. One could develop type 2 diabetes just from witnessing the act! The first time a maid did it in my house I was stunned, where had my 6 month supply of sugar gone? She had only been here 2 weeks. Then I saw her eating breakfast, trust me it was no sprinkle.......she packed it in. edited by CrashingWaves on 23/04/2014 not just that .. they then have a separate pile of the stuff in the corner of the plate and dip the sandwich in that with each mouthful ! All the while sipping their tea with 8 spoons of sugar.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 13:21
sugar sandwiches? Indonesian maids love these for breakfast. One could develop type 2 diabetes just from witnessing the act! The first time a maid did it in my house I was stunned, where had my 6 month supply of sugar gone? She had only been here 2 weeks. Then I saw her eating breakfast, trust me it was no sprinkle.......she packed it in. edited by CrashingWaves on 23/04/2014 not just that .. they then have a separate pile of the stuff in the corner of the plate and dip the sandwich in that with each mouthful !
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 13:19
I would never ever get involved, no matter what I thought and I would advise my maid to no longer involve herself nor report to me. This is not Europe.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 13:14
sugar sandwiches? Indonesian maids love these for breakfast. One could develop type 2 diabetes just from witnessing the act! The first time a maid did it in my house I was stunned, where had my 6 month supply of sugar gone? She had only been here 2 weeks. Then I saw her eating breakfast, trust me it was no sprinkle.......she packed it in. <em>edited by CrashingWaves on 23/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 12:26
Whereas some terrible abuse of maids does happen and we would all like to step in if we could to stop it I would act with caution in this case. The question that springs to my mind is - if she is locked in the house and can't get out how has she told your maid about it? Through a window - which she could climb out of as SalsB pointed out or is she communicating by phone in which case she could phone the police herself. Also as Mushypeas pointed out it is not unknown for maids to exaggerate mistreatment at times. I am not saying this is the case here and if what she says is genuinely true then she certainly needs help. But I would dig a little deeper with your maid first and try and establish how they are communicating. I understand your anger and need to assist - and it could be genuinely needed -but it could also be a case of fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Thumbs up for this post .. spot on ..
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 10:35
Strongly agree with Genie, however after you have done some digging, it would be a no brainer and ring police....
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 10:18
Whereas some terrible abuse of maids does happen and we would all like to step in if we could to stop it I would act with caution in this case. The question that springs to my mind is - if she is locked in the house and can't get out how has she told your maid about it? Through a window - which she could climb out of as SalsB pointed out or is she communicating by phone in which case she could phone the police herself. Also as Mushypeas pointed out it is not unknown for maids to exaggerate mistreatment at times. I am not saying this is the case here and if what she says is genuinely true then she certainly needs help. But I would dig a little deeper with your maid first and try and establish how they are communicating. I understand your anger and need to assist - and it could be genuinely needed -but it could also be a case of fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 10:12
Used to have them as a midnight snack when I was little. Bread, butter and sugar sprinkled on :) Those and tomato sauce sandwiches too. Sorry we appear to be hijacking a somewhat serious thread <em>edited by Geordie expat on 23/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 10:06
The house has windows.... she can climb out.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 09:56
sugar sandwiches? You mean to say you've never had sugar sandwiches? Geordie, some people have just not lived! Whats a sugar sandwich? -Thud!!!!!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY