Help my dog just bit the driver :( | ExpatWoman.com

Help my dog just bit the driver :(

Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 22:03
You should sack your driver because if his reaction and prediction skills are that poor to a small mutt taking a wee nip how can you trust him driving on the roads here?[/quote Lol
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 23:24
sorry, I didn't see why you were quoting that story ....
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 22:35
Did anyone read the story in the UK press a couple of months ago about the babysitter that was found to be seriously physically abusing a toddler? It came to light because the dog was showing strong aggression to the babysitter whenever she arrived and the owners, thinking this was unusual of the situation and dog's character, placed hidden cameras in the house when the babysitter was alone with the dog and child. Had they reacted on similar black/white advice given in this thread, they would have had a dead dog and possibly dead child. None of us know the situation, let alone the dog, child or experience of the owners, yet there are calls to immediately end the life of the dog as if it's a disposable object. Some people have a far better understanding and experience of animal behaviour than others, and some feel a closer connection to their pets than others - I understand that. But if this dog is a loved member of the family then surely it would be better to have the dog assessed by someone that is a respected expert than to immediately put it down (and presumably hope the next one doesn't bite toddlers without warning). And before the person on this board than inevitably has had a dog that bit the babysitter that was under 24hr surveillance as she/he was finalising an animal behaviour thesis jumps on to point out the differences in the two situations, it's just an example - I'm sure there are endless others. Are you suggesting the driver has been interfering with the OP's child ?? Hasn't she got enough to worry about ?? No, it would be ridiculous to jump to such conclusions.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 19:56
You should sack your driver because if his reaction and prediction skills are that poor to a small mutt taking a wee nip how can you trust him driving on the roads here? That's a bit harsh. Some cultures here have a belief that a dog is the dirtiest of animals- so to be bitten by one may upset someone more than those of us used to dogs. I did not mention that, i mentioned reaction times.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 19:49
You should sack your driver because if his reaction and prediction skills are that poor to a small mutt taking a wee nip how can you trust him driving on the roads here? That's a bit harsh. Some cultures here have a belief that a dog is the dirtiest of animals- so to be bitten by one may upset someone more than those of us used to dogs.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 19:38
You should sack your driver because if his reaction and prediction skills are that poor to a small mutt taking a wee nip how can you trust him driving on the roads here?
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 19:14
Did anyone read the story in the UK press a couple of months ago about the babysitter that was found to be seriously physically abusing a toddler? It came to light because the dog was showing strong aggression to the babysitter whenever she arrived and the owners, thinking this was unusual of the situation and dog's character, placed hidden cameras in the house when the babysitter was alone with the dog and child. Had they reacted on similar black/white advice given in this thread, they would have had a dead dog and possibly dead child. None of us know the situation, let alone the dog, child or experience of the owners, yet there are calls to immediately end the life of the dog as if it's a disposable object. Some people have a far better understanding and experience of animal behaviour than others, and some feel a closer connection to their pets than others - I understand that. But if this dog is a loved member of the family then surely it would be better to have the dog assessed by someone that is a respected expert than to immediately put it down (and presumably hope the next one doesn't bite toddlers without warning). And before the person on this board than inevitably has had a dog that bit the babysitter that was under 24hr surveillance as she/he was finalising an animal behaviour thesis jumps on to point out the differences in the two situations, it's just an example - I'm sure there are endless others. Are you suggesting the driver has been interfering with the OP's child ?? Hasn't she got enough to worry about ??
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 16:45
Did anyone read the story in the UK press a couple of months ago about the babysitter that was found to be seriously physically abusing a toddler? It came to light because the dog was showing strong aggression to the babysitter whenever she arrived and the owners, thinking this was unusual of the situation and dog's character, placed hidden cameras in the house when the babysitter was alone with the dog and child. Had they reacted on similar black/white advice given in this thread, they would have had a dead dog and possibly dead child. None of us know the situation, let alone the dog, child or experience of the owners, yet there are calls to immediately end the life of the dog as if it's a disposable object. Some people have a far better understanding and experience of animal behaviour than others, and some feel a closer connection to their pets than others - I understand that. But if this dog is a loved member of the family then surely it would be better to have the dog assessed by someone that is a respected expert than to immediately put it down (and presumably hope the next one doesn't bite toddlers without warning). And before the person on this board than inevitably has had a dog that bit the babysitter that was under 24hr surveillance as she/he was finalising an animal behaviour thesis jumps on to point out the differences in the two situations, it's just an example - I'm sure there are endless others.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 15:43
Any dog that has bitten would have first displayed warning signals and if the human has neglected to see this or has no clue of these signs then that person should not have a dog. There is always a reason why any dog would bite, instead of simply labeling that dog as dangerous / vicious, we should spend time trying to figure out what caused it, if you have no time to figure it out then don't own a dog. If a dog drew blood on it's first bite then that dog is not going to bite again because it's tasted blood, this is just another old wives tale, if it does bite again it's because or various other reasons which do not include the taste of blood or flesh.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 15:10
Never heard of Stewart Lee and I live in the UK!! He can't be that popular LOL! Was voted 41st "top" comedian !! lol But I think he's just had his own series on TV... but very much an acquired taste.. ETA he co-wrote Jerry Springer the Musical edited by Doubting Thomas on 24/04/2014 Jerry Springer the musical?? Well that just says it all LOL!!
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 13:41
Ok. Lost the topic somewhere there in between…  I love pets and have some. Just so you don’t think I don’t. But, let’s be honest here. If your driver is with your family on daily basis and he is not attacking you or your child in any way, then I am sorry, but the fault is with the dog. You must get rid of him ASAP. As for the driver – yes, hospital run will be a must and a handsome tip + a very sincere apology. Some breeds or mixed breeds are very territorial. Maybe yours is too and he has never accepted the driver in his territory and never will. That may escalate to other people, including your child. Don’t take that risk. I know for pet owners their pets are like children, me included, but your human family has to be first and other humans around that are not threatening you should too. Sorry  You can approach lots of organizations here in Dubai and UAE to re-home your dog with a single person or a family without kids, maids, etc.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 13:29
If you died at home and your dog was there what do you think would happen? To quote Stuart Lee, educated British stand up comedian, your dog would 'eat you'. Dogs are not part of the family, they are animals with animal instincts. As Stuart says, as far as your dog is concerned, you are meat, with a voice. Nothing makes me angrier than pet lovers. Sorry. So basically, according to her, we should be taking advises about the life of our beloved pet from a stand up comedian?? I hope she turns to someone else for major decisions of her life, like kids, education, marital issues etc. rather than turning to this idiot comedian...... Her whole post is just utter nonsense and the poster has no idea what she is talking about and missing in life by being a pet HATER! Stewart Lee has a whole range of anti-dog gags... [I'>STEWART Lee hates dogs. If they are really man’s best friend, he asks, do we really want a friend who uses play areas as a toilet and bites children in the face? Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/REVIEW-Stewart-Lee-Colston-Hall-5-5/story-20577582-detail/story.html#ixzz2zn3RRkmV [I/'> Thanks sooo much for posting this link. He is described as 'elitist' so I guess that is why a lot of folks don't like or get his humour lol. LOL !! Described as elitist by himself no doubt !! :D eta ... lol @ gags about dog poo being elitist <em>edited by Doubting Thomas on 24/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 13:27
If you died at home and your dog was there what do you think would happen? To quote Stuart Lee, educated British stand up comedian, your dog would 'eat you'. Dogs are not part of the family, they are animals with animal instincts. As Stuart says, as far as your dog is concerned, you are meat, with a voice. Nothing makes me angrier than pet lovers. Sorry. So basically, according to her, we should be taking advises about the life of our beloved pet from a stand up comedian?? I hope she turns to someone else for major decisions of her life, like kids, education, marital issues etc. rather than turning to this idiot comedian...... Her whole post is just utter nonsense and the poster has no idea what she is talking about and missing in life by being a pet HATER! Stewart Lee has a whole range of anti-dog gags... [I'>STEWART Lee hates dogs. If they are really man’s best friend, he asks, do we really want a friend who uses play areas as a toilet and bites children in the face? Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/REVIEW-Stewart-Lee-Colston-Hall-5-5/story-20577582-detail/story.html#ixzz2zn3RRkmV [I/'> Thanks sooo much for posting this link. He is described as 'elitist' so I guess that is why a lot of folks don't like or get his humour lol.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 13:27
Please google "todder dog bites" and then click on images.... oh fgs...why on earth would I want to subject myself to that ??
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 13:24
Never heard of Stewart Lee and I live in the UK!! He can't be that popular LOL! Was voted 41st "top" comedian !! lol But I think he's just had his own series on TV... but very much an acquired taste.. ETA he co-wrote Jerry Springer the Musical <em>edited by Doubting Thomas on 24/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 12:59
Please google "todder dog bites" and then click on images.... Yup and most of the dogs involved are known breeds that should never be housed around children, not your average mutt.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 12:47
Please google "todder dog bites" and then click on images....
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 12:42
My 3 year old daughter bites. I probably wont put her down though. My saluki mutt sometimes looks likes she will bite too, she has a particular disdain for the pool man but loves everyone else. I suspect there is history between them. Maybe the same here. edited by gopies on 24/04/2014 <em>edited by gopies on 24/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 12:38
Really surprises me with few responses...how easy it is to opt for putting a pet down for safety of a child.... with out giving it a thought about working on the issue... could we say the same thing about a child who is differently abled, with aggression issues? If we can always monitor our kids not being left alone with pets why does it need to be the only option to put the pets or as I call them "fur babies" to sleep? Dubai pet owners really make me question about humane treatment of animals.....
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 12:36
Never heard of Stewart Lee and I live in the UK!! He can't be that popular LOL!
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 12:29
If you died at home and your dog was there what do you think would happen? To quote Stuart Lee, educated British stand up comedian, your dog would 'eat you'. Dogs are not part of the family, they are animals with animal instincts. As Stuart says, as far as your dog is concerned, you are meat, with a voice. Nothing makes me angrier than pet lovers. Sorry. So basically, according to her, we should be taking advises about the life of our beloved pet from a stand up comedian?? I hope she turns to someone else for major decisions of her life, like kids, education, marital issues etc. rather than turning to this idiot comedian...... Her whole post is just utter nonsense and the poster has no idea what she is talking about and missing in life by being a pet HATER! Stewart Lee has a whole range of anti-dog gags... [I'>STEWART Lee hates dogs. If they are really man’s best friend, he asks, do we really want a friend who uses play areas as a toilet and bites children in the face? Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/REVIEW-Stewart-Lee-Colston-Hall-5-5/story-20577582-detail/story.html#ixzz2zn3RRkmV [I/'>
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 12:18
I may have watched toooooo many Hollywood movies but IMHO, if two humans were locked up in a room with no way to get out to get food, and one of them died, the other would eventually do exactly what Cushion claims the dog would do... eat to survive... that's a no brainer... you would be AMAZED at what even humans can be pushed into doing when faced with desperate situations
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 11:56
If you died at home and your dog was there what do you think would happen? To quote Stuart Lee, educated British stand up comedian, your dog would 'eat you'. Dogs are not part of the family, they are animals with animal instincts. As Stuart says, as far as your dog is concerned, you are meat, with a voice. Nothing makes me angrier than pet lovers. Sorry. So basically, according to her, we should be taking advises about the life of our beloved pet from a stand up comedian?? I hope she turns to someone else for major decisions of her life, like kids, education, marital issues etc. rather than turning to this idiot comedian...... Her whole post is just utter nonsense and the poster has no idea what she is talking about and missing in life by being a pet HATER! And what about dogs who have patiently stayed by the bodies of their owners, sometimes for days, waiting for someone to come along. [u'>[b'>In some cases the owners have even been saved this way[/b'>[/u'>. They have been known to known detect cancer, identify when a seizure is setting in etc.....Also, am sure anyone who had seen the movie, 'Hatchi'......can vouch for a dog's dedication to the family.... Also, the story behind HMV's logo and tagline, "My master's voice".......Simply beautiful!
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 11:51
If you died at home and your dog was there what do you think would happen? To quote Stuart Lee, educated British stand up comedian, your dog would 'eat you'. Dogs are not part of the family, they are animals with animal instincts. As Stuart says, as far as your dog is concerned, you are meat, with a voice. Nothing makes me angrier than pet lovers. Sorry. So basically, according to her, we should be taking advises about the life of our beloved pet from a stand up comedian?? I hope she turns to someone else for major decisions of her life, like kids, education, marital issues etc. rather than turning to this idiot comedian...... Her whole post is just utter nonsense and the poster has no idea what she is talking about and missing in life by being a pet HATER! And what about dogs who have patiently stayed by the bodies of their owners, sometimes for days, waiting for someone to come along. In some cases the owners have even been saved this way.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 11:47
If you died at home and your dog was there what do you think would happen? To quote Stuart Lee, educated British stand up comedian, your dog would 'eat you'. Dogs are not part of the family, they are animals with animal instincts. As Stuart says, as far as your dog is concerned, you are meat, with a voice. Nothing makes me angrier than pet lovers. Sorry. So basically, according to her, we should be taking advises about the life of our beloved pet from a stand up comedian?? I hope she turns to someone else for major decisions of her life, like kids, education, marital issues etc. rather than turning to this idiot comedian...... Her whole post is just utter nonsense and the poster has no idea what she is talking about and missing in life by being a pet HATER!
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 10:53
Fur baby ????
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 10:50
The situation is far from tough when children are involved, I am glad that everything worked out well for you bubble trubble, but for me such action is totally irresponsible. We have "a family pet" that is actually a therapy dog. Without her my son would not be the person he is today, of this there is absolutely no doubt. Even in such circumstances I would not hesitate to act if not doing so could compromise the safety of my children
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 10:39
Its a tough situation when we have kids and babies in the picture... our once rescued belgian shepherd had nipped my newly adopted daughter(8 yrs back), we thought of immediately putting the fur baby away...but thanks to a dear friends who is an animal behaviourist we were able to pull the furb baby back from her vicious streak. Now we have a baby(boddler) at home...the once vicious one is so gentle with him. Having said that..we NEVER leave the fur babies( 3 rescued) with the baby alone even for a second. Babies/kids are unpredictable too as pets...so why leave a window for an accident. In my opinion killing a pet for one mistake which could be rectified is completely inhumane....
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 09:55
I completely agree with you DesertRose. We have two dogs, one JR we've had from being a pup and the other a rescue ??? from N Cyprus. Both are noisy when anyone passes the house or comes to the door, which is no bad thing, but if ever either of them even thought about nipping, or biting, I think I would have to say that once was once too many. I also couldn't live with having to think "what if" everytime we had someone in the house, or met someone outside.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 09:46
We have 2 dogs, an alsation/spitz mix, she's the third generation of dog from the same family, and we also have a long haired, long backed pekinese. They are both very old now and might last another year if we're lucky and for sure when one dies the other will follow very quickly. They love each other. We also once upon a time rescued a wadi dog. Another time we had a long haired daschund. As much as we love them I couldn't have them around us if I always had to be thinking 'what if'. It really is not worth it and as small as some of these wee yappy type dogs are - they can be really vicious. What they lack in size they can make up for in nastiness. edited by DesertRose1958 on 24/04/2014 <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 24/04/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY