Help please! New landlord serving eviction | ExpatWoman.com

Help please! New landlord serving eviction

Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 17:16

Hi all I always follow but never post but I'm desperate for a bit of reassurance. Our apartment was sold illegally to our old landlord and the new landlords have issued a notice saying the Title deeds have been transferred and we have 30 days to sign a new 1 year lease or they will change the locks and evict us. I know in the case of the old landlord selling to the new landlord the current contract has to be honoured but since this isnt a sale can they evict us? Has anyone had a similar experience? Obviously I am heading to RERA tomorrow morning but we have paid by 1 cheque until November and Im sick with worry that we will lose everything. I cant get in contact with the old landlord, the agent who handled the rental has been useless and hubby is away. I thought the whole point of Ejari was to prevent this type of thing happening. Thanks in advance

Latest post on 26 April 2014 - 17:24
Would you mind sharing the buildings where this is happening, my company has quite a few people living all over the city and I would like to be prepared when I get asked for advice. Thanks CP x
Latest post on 26 April 2014 - 12:07
I dont trust the RERA advice...I think it is time to get a lawyer involved as these new landlords have shown they are not above intimidation tactics bordering on illegal. If anyone is going through the same thing maybe we can form a group and be represented by the same lawyer if it came down to it. Thanks for all the help ladies. I will keep you updated RERA is the Governing body for all rental disputes therefore their advice is the most accurate and up to date. <em>edited by starsouthern on 26/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 26 April 2014 - 11:48
Hi all I always follow but never post but I'm desperate for a bit of reassurance. Our apartment was sold illegally to our old landlord and the new landlords have issued a notice saying....... Hi, I think I know which Tower you are referring to, as apparently there are a number of properties who this affects. My friends friend has found out some interesting information about this 'new landlord' ..... Who has served you this notice: http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2009/01/dodgy-promises-from-dubai-heav.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012r6v0 I don't know what's fact of what's going on, whether a scam or true but certainly you can see that you need to be careful dealing with this 'new landlord'. They aren't exactly angels. DO NOT SEND ANY PAPERWORK TO THEM. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING WITH THEM DO NOT MEET WITH THEM AND MOST IMPORTANTLY.... DO NOT HAND OVER ANY MONEY .... Just go straight to RERA. !!!!! Their history is all over the internet. edited by Diamante on 24/04/2014 edited by Diamante on 24/04/2014 Just checked the links...it is the same company and the court documents are all badly photocopied and in Arabic... if your friends friend is having any luck please let me know. Dubai is like the ****** Wild Wild West!
Latest post on 26 April 2014 - 11:41
orry for the delayed reply. I went to RERA and they said that the title deed had been transferred to the new owners and they have a legal right to enter the property with an appointment. They told me that i can sign a new contract but not pay them any money. The case is still pending in courts and it affects quite a few apartments in my tower and another one in the Marina...36 in total. They have tried to set up an appointment with my husband but he is away. The landlord has been in contact and assures me he has a large legal team and they are fighting the case. I dont trust the RERA advice...I think it is time to get a lawyer involved as these new landlords have shown they are not above intimidation tactics bordering on illegal. If anyone is going through the same thing maybe we can form a group and be represented by the same lawyer if it came down to it. Thanks for all the help ladies. I will keep you updated
Latest post on 26 April 2014 - 08:16
Doesn't matter who your new LL is, they can't evict you without serving proper notice. . Not entirely true...some LL's can do it.....and some owners can be forced to sell, it all depends on who you are.
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 18:20
Doesn't matter who your new LL is, they can't evict you without serving proper notice. Proper Notice is 12 months given in writing, stating one of 4 lawful reasons and delivered either via Notary Public or registered courier. Most common of these reasons is LL selling or next of kin wanting to move in. But there are 2 other reasons relating to repairs or rennovations. Your current lease contract should roll over onto the new landlord if the premises have been sold. This is the law. If the new LL wants to change the terms of your current lease, they have to advise you more than 90 days from the date of your lease renewal. If you do not know who your new LL is, take your lease, ejari certificate and personal identification down to the Lands Department and they will do a search and tell you. Considering all of the above, your legal right is to stay until at least this time next year. Your current lease terms continue until November of this year. They will continue beyond Novemebr unless you recieve notificiation otherwise -90 days from the date in November that your lease ends (ie sometime in August presumably).
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 05:22
I agree with below, they can not evict you, see my earlier post. I repeat go straight to RERA. [b'> I have seen all the copies of title deeds and Dubai court papers that they have provided but I would never trust them, especially if they have their own bad history.[/b'> I would also stress the importance of ensuring you do not have spare keys floating about anywhere (i.e. with security/maid etc), just for your own assurance. What? You have seen all the paperwork for simpleplan's situation? This is super confusing. Who are these people? How is Diamante so sure? Where is the OP now?
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 02:14
I agree with below, they can not evict you, see my earlier post. I repeat go straight to RERA. [b'> I have seen all the copies of title deeds and Dubai court papers that they have provided but I would never trust them, especially if they have their own bad history.[/b'> I would also stress the importance of ensuring you do not have spare keys floating about anywhere (i.e. with security/maid etc), just for your own assurance. What? You have seen all the paperwork for simpleplan's situation? Not quite ......but I've seen someone else's who has this notice and the several copies of dubai court papers that came with it. I'm pretty sure it's of the same tower in Dubai marina. As it's affecting a large number of properties in that building not just one or two. It could be legitimate but the people who are the 'new owners' are not to be trusted after the scam they pulled previously. So best to check with RERA. <em>edited by Diamante on 25/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 14:49
I agree with below, they can not evict you, see my earlier post. I repeat go straight to RERA. [b'> I have seen all the copies of title deeds and Dubai court papers that they have provided but I would never trust them, especially if they have their own bad history.[/b'> I would also stress the importance of ensuring you do not have spare keys floating about anywhere (i.e. with security/maid etc), just for your own assurance. What? You have seen all the paperwork for simpleplan's situation?
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 14:45
I agree with below, they can not evict you, see my earlier post. I repeat go straight to RERA. I have seen all the copies of title deeds and Dubai court papers that they have provided but I would never trust them, especially if they have their own bad history. I would also stress the importance of ensuring you do not have spare keys floating about anywhere (i.e. with security/maid etc), just for your own assurance.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 10:59
Oh and in the mean time ask them to provide a copy of the title with the new owners name, if an agent is contacting you ask them for proof they represent the owner.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 10:54
They cannot evict you. I don't know what you mean about the sale being illegal? if you haven't already change the locks, so they can't get into the apartment. It's quiet easy, generally you can just swap the barrel. I always do this for safety, as most apartments have that stupid key to get in and out lock which is just a hazard in an emergency. They are just trying to bully you and they have no right to do any of what they are claiming.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 07:41
Sorry but not sure how you deduce this...
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 01:09
Hi all I always follow but never post but I'm desperate for a bit of reassurance. Our apartment was sold illegally to our old landlord and the new landlords have issued a notice saying....... Hi, I think I know which Tower you are referring to, as apparently there are a number of properties who this affects. My friends friend has found out some interesting information about this 'new landlord' ..... Who has served you this notice: http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2009/01/dodgy-promises-from-dubai-heav.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012r6v0 I don't know what's fact of what's going on, whether a scam or true but certainly you can see that you need to be careful dealing with this 'new landlord'. They aren't exactly angels. DO NOT SEND ANY PAPERWORK TO THEM. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING WITH THEM DO NOT MEET WITH THEM AND MOST IMPORTANTLY.... DO NOT HAND OVER ANY MONEY .... Just go straight to RERA. !!!!! Their history is all over the internet. edited by Diamante on 24/04/2014 <em>edited by Diamante on 24/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 18:27
hi, The sale is not illegal - property can be sold at any time and the tenant does not need to be notified. But the sale does not affect your right as tenants. You need only to reply to the new landlord that you have not previously been given eviction notice and you will only recognise notice served in the correct way with correct notice period and reason, namely by registered mail and 12 months with reason of eviction as either property to be sold again/owner moving in/demolition/renovation. Tell him that he is not permitted to change the locks, and that you will continue the lease for a further 12 monthson the current terms. Don't sign a contract with different terms or a notice of non-renewal, or agree to a rent increase. Tell them to open a case with the rent committee if they are not happy.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY