Any Goodreads members here? | ExpatWoman.com

Any Goodreads members here?

Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 12:11

Ladies, trying to investigate ways in which to download books aside from the Kindle (which I want but understand there are problems downloading here I think). I've looked at the Samsung Tablets but they are pricey as I just want something for books exclusively.

My question about Goodreads -- I've looked at the site but I get the impression that you only recommend books etc -- I don't find how you can actually download etc. Does anyone use this site and give me a clue how it works.

Oh, and by the way, finding sour gummy worms are impossible to find (aside from the the kiosk where you buy by the gram) -- I've tried so many different Spinneys and Choithrams -- nothing! Anyone seen any real recently?

Latest post on 05 May 2014 - 04:17
@ Norak. If you are living in Libya, with connection problems, I would suggest you buy a Kindle with 3G. This would enable you to download books without having to connect to a computer and without needing WiFi. The problems associated with Kindle related to having to have a UK credit card to use Amazon.co.uk and presumably ditto for US. I don't know if this is still a problem. I know at least one person who got around this by using Kobo, the only site that allows e books to be officially sold into this area due to ridiculous publishing restrictions. It is free to download the Kindle app onto your PC so before purchasing a Kindle it might be a good idea to try purchasing on the Kindle app.
Latest post on 05 May 2014 - 04:06
Goodreads is addicting for me! I don't even download the books but enjoy reading reviews and suggestions. Wouldn't an official EW book club be great?! I just came on here to find out what had happened to the info about the two official Expat Woman Book Clubs - neither are listed in the info on this site any more, no idea why not! The one I run is an evening group that meet at 8pm on the third Tuesday of the month at Pauls Mercato. This month's book is Kinder Than Solitude by Yiyun Li and it's available on Kindle. There is also a morning group on the second Tuesday of the month at 10am. This meets in people's houses around Dubai. Both groups would welcome new members. PS I'm also a member of GoodReads :)
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 18:56
Goodreads is addicting for me! I don't even download the books but enjoy reading reviews and suggestions. Wouldn't an official EW book club be great?!
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 16:28
Thanks Apricot. I just returned from a visa run this morning, then Dragon Mart on the way back. Heading over to my email.
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 13:28
Apricot, You've got a mail. You can remove your email now.
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 13:23
Gorobattie, pls send me a message, I may be slow to respond as I don't check often, but will get back to ya. <em>edited by Apricot on 25/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 13:16
Apricot, my site start with 4 Now I am so interested to share our info, I do love reading, and nothing more could make me happy than knowing more sources for that.
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 13:12
Hi Norah, you can take down your email address, you have mail. Gorobattie, we use a similar method. I use a site which starts with K.
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 11:54
Hi Apricot. I had company over this evening for dinner and have just finished cleaning up. Anyway, my email ----------- I don't have an ipad or sophisticated phone. I just want a way to download books as I now live outside Dubai most of the year (Libya) but when I come back to Dubai to stock up they take a great deal of travel weight. Another problem I have is that the electricity in Libya is unstable so there are sometime long periods without electric -- hence the Kindle (or like) is a better option. I also heard the Galaxy Tabs are good but pricey. I don't want or need the ability to also use the device for anything else or as a phone. I would be interested to hear your thoughts as it just makes my head spin when I start talking to the sales people. Thanks for your time. Also, I have looked at Carrefore for gummy worms --- did not see the strings but will look again. I use sometimes a site that have free books to download, you keep searching the name of the book or the author in many different ways, so you can come up with results.. this site users buy the books, scan it, then upload it, you can always get them for free, you just pay money if you want to comment on the book. When you are ready tell me to post the site name, I don't want to give it just like that. <em>edited by Gorobattie on 25/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 23:09
Hi Apricot. I had company over this evening for dinner and have just finished cleaning up. I I don't have an ipad or sophisticated phone. I just want a way to download books as I now live outside Dubai most of the year (Libya) but when I come back to Dubai to stock up they take a great deal of travel weight. Another problem I have is that the electricity in Libya is unstable so there are sometime long periods without electric -- hence the Kindle (or like) is a better option. I also heard the Galaxy Tabs are good but pricey. I don't want or need the ability to also use the device for anything else or as a phone. I would be interested to hear your thoughts as it just makes my head spin when I start talking to the sales people. Thanks for your time. Also, I have looked at Carrefore for gummy worms --- did not see the strings but will look again. <em>edited by norak on 25/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 20:02
Hi Norak, pls put up your email and I'll share my experiences with Kindle and ebooks... I have a bit of software on PC called Calibre which helps manage my ebook collection. You can get the Kindle app for iPad also. I have a Goodreads acct, but I forget to update it. BTW, did you try Carrefour for the sour gummy worms? They have sour gummy strings.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 16:25
Thanks for the replies ladies. I have been running all day and, frankly, quite exhausted. Anyway, I am not sure why I had reservations regarding books and the Kindle -- I want the Kindle Whitepaper. Maybe I had read something about them blocking certain titles, etc or using my credit card -- don't know why I had that thought in my head. Anyway, may just go ahead and get the Kindle Whitepaper. Thanks again.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 13:50
I'm a member of Goodreads and yes it is just a site for reviews and recommendations. I have a Kindle and the app on my Note, so both DH and I can read whatever is going. Yes it's far too easy to click and buy on Amazon, especially since I don't even have to find the CC now, to pay for them :)
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 13:10
Not sure what exactly you're looking for (i.e., you don't like the Kindle device?), but I use a Kindle app on my iPad to read books. My account is also connected with my family so whatever they download, I also have access to. I pay with my UAE credit card on Amazon.com.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 12:42
I always use my kindle now and have not had any problems downloading books, I use the amazon.co.uk site and it's far too easy to click buy!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY