Driving in the UK with Dubai licence? | ExpatWoman.com

Driving in the UK with Dubai licence?

Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:25

I have a driving licence from Dubai (i.e. I sat my test here). Never had a licence from anywhere else. Is it correct that I won't be allowed to drive when I go to the UK in the summer? I'll be there for 7 weeks and was hoping I could drive.

Just been told (by someone who isn't 100% sure but they think it's the case) that the UK doesn't accept a UAE driving licence :(

Latest post on 28 April 2014 - 13:50
my brother drove on an international license in the UK and had no problems. Think its only 100 AED and gets processed there and then at the traffic HO near Al Mulla Plaza We have driven on INT'L license from UAE in London! Same here..
Latest post on 28 April 2014 - 13:49
I am an Indian National with a Dubai issued license....have been driving in UK, Scotland, Europe for more than a decade now...with rentals never a problem. Always book with Hertz international desk here .... Only thing which was a lil different earlier on was that insurance premium was a lil high wen my license was less than a year old.
Latest post on 28 April 2014 - 12:55
That's not true busybee, you can still be added as a short term additional driver on a private UK car policy using your UAE license as we always do this when home. I have both UK and UAE licenses but hubby only has a UAE one and we have both been added as recently as Feb this year onto the insurance policy of my mum for 2 weeks - it cost all of 20 pounds for both of us - so much cheaper than hiring a car! We would pay 200-300 pounds to hire a car before so it was just getting ridiculous!
Latest post on 28 April 2014 - 12:04
my brother drove on an international license in the UK and had no problems. Think its only 100 AED and gets processed there and then at the traffic HO near Al Mulla Plaza We have driven on INT'L license from UAE in London!
Latest post on 28 April 2014 - 11:46
my brother drove on an international license in the UK and had no problems. Think its only 100 AED and gets processed there and then at the traffic HO near Al Mulla Plaza
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 22:47
Thanks. Might just rent a car then when I need one. Sounds like it will be cheaper! just be aware thats all.... maybe ask the insurance company... but i know people that use their uk licence thinking its fine but if you have an accident you will not be covered, insurance companies will find a way to get out of things if they can, and so you dont want to then damage the no claims of your friend etc.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 22:37
Thanks. Might just rent a car then when I need one. Sounds like it will be cheaper!
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 22:28
Ahhh, didn't realise that about the insurance. Thanks busybee2 for all that info. many years ago when i rarely visted uk i would go on my dads insurance, you can do like for a month at a time etc but a few years ago they changed that and now you had to be added for the whole years policy as a named driver..... and it was very expensive so not worth it...... rental cars are different, you can use a uae licence no probs. driving on a uk licence in a rental car etc whenyou are no longer resident is illegal and you will not be covered by their insurance etc just for your information.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:59
Ahhh, didn't realise that about the insurance. Thanks busybee2 for all that info.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:56
i have used my uae driving licence many times in uk... had my uae one for 17 years so far....
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:56
Thanks LadyBee, hope you're right but the person who I was chatting to thought I wouldn't be able to get an international licence based on just having a Dubai licence. I googled it earlier and I couldn't see anywhere that said that though. Hoping it's wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised as Dubai isn't renowned for driving excellence! u can get idp here in uae at the posts offices or aaa
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:55
Thanks Ladies. Hopefully I won't have any issues then but I might look into the international licence just to be sure. I won't be hiring a car - a friend has offered me her car for the time I'm there - so that might make things easier as well. you must check with her insurance then as its not like here, where the car is insured not hte person... in the uk its the person and named people on licence, if you want to drive a private car you need to be added to their insurance details etc and having a foreign licence may have an affect and also there will be aminimum amount usually driving for a year otherwise you pay more again.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:53
I have a driving licence from Dubai (i.e. I sat my test here). Never had a licence from anywhere else. Is it correct that I won't be allowed to drive when I go to the UK in the summer? I'll be there for 7 weeks and was hoping I could drive. Just been told (by someone who isn't 100% sure but they think it's the case) that the UK doesn't accept a UAE driving licence :( you can drive on your uae licence, in fact even if you have a uk one that is not valid as you are not resident... always used my uae licence... the rules are that if you are living permanently in the uk your uae licence is valid temporarily for a year, once over a year you must then go through the tests and pass the uk driving test etc.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:49
Thanks Ladies. Hopefully I won't have any issues then but I might look into the international licence just to be sure. I won't be hiring a car - a friend has offered me her car for the time I'm there - so that might make things easier as well.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:44
Thanks LadyBee, hope you're right but the person who I was chatting to thought I wouldn't be able to get an international licence based on just having a Dubai licence. I googled it earlier and I couldn't see anywhere that said that though. Hoping it's wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised as Dubai isn't renowned for driving excellence!
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:40
When I left Dubai, I hired a car at Heathrow with my UAE license and absolutely no problem but then I am British however, they were not to know that I could have taken my test here and not UK. You must have held the main license for a minimum of one year. However, best to check in advance or as said, get an international license.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:40
If you're renting a vehicle there then yes, you can drive on your UAE licence. The only restrictions may be due to the amount of time you've held a licence.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 21:28
Pretty sure you can. If in doubt, get yourself an international license. Of course, if you're a visitor and have a license issued in 'another country', according to the UK govt questionnaire below, you should be fine. :) [url= https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence'>link[/url'> . <em>edited by LadyBee on 24/04/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY