Advice needed - husband won't move out | ExpatWoman.com

Advice needed - husband won't move out

Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 22:06

Hi everyone. I really need your advice. My husband and I live in Dubai with our 2 year old son. My husband has done some pretty silly things and, having tried to make it work for about 3 years, I now need a break from him, to figure things out.

I have asked my husband to move out, but he refuses. What can I do to force him to leave, to give me some space? I don't really want there to be any sort of a scene as I would hate for our 2 year old to sense anything like that.

I am fortunate in that we moved to Dubai for my work. Therefore, currently, I sponsor our son. I also earn enough to support myself as my husband only earns a little and has only recently started to work at all. The tenancy is in my name. Therefore, I can be independent here without him.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. It may just be that there is no way of making it work here, in which case perhaps I need to consider moving back home...

Thanks so much

Latest post on 26 April 2014 - 20:57
A good marriage counsellor would tell you that the last thing you should do when things get tough is to move out. Take your annual leave and go on a holiday without your husband if you feel you need space to think. That should give you time to reflect upon things and him as well in a calm manner then decide once and for all what you want to go ahead with. Good luck.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 26 April 2014 - 13:52
I agree, I am sorry to say. I doubt you can force him out - men are the heads of families here and children of a marriage belong to them according to the law and sponsorship is irrelevant. My children are under my sponsorship but I still need a letter of no objection to travel with them without my husband, otherwise, we cannot leave the country. If you really need a break, you should consider taking your vacation time from work or, if it is that bad, relocating without him. I think you have some very serious thinking to do.
Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 05:24
I am not sure that you can 'do' this in the UAE just because your husband has done some silly things. Perhaps you should go on vacation to your home country and then do the needful. You may lose custody. Whatever you think, sponsorship does not equal sole custody.
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 23:26
If he doesn't earn much maybe he cannot afford to move out so easily which is why he is refusing? It's difficult to advise as I don't know how bad the situation is, but if you think the space for a few weeks would help maybe discuss renting a serviced apartment for one month for him, and make sure he sees his child, then work out where you go from there?
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 23:19
And how do you sponsor your son without your husband's "permission"? You need to educate yourself on your legal standing. If your husband decides that he wants custody of your son, this could get very ugly no matter his earnings.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY