Lonely in Umm Sequim | ExpatWoman.com

Lonely in Umm Sequim

Latest post on 28 April 2014 - 15:10

I moved to Dubai just over a year ago with my husband. My children are back in the UK the youngest is in Uni. I am finding it difficult to settle I feel very lonely during the week. I wondered if there would be any ladies who would be free to have coffee and chat in my area as I am not very confident on the roads yet!

Latest post on 07 May 2014 - 15:36
Have edited original post to remove add. Glad to hear from you jenny916. Will email you. :)
Latest post on 07 May 2014 - 10:23
Yes.. that would be the morning 5.30...nice and cool then ;)....did have a large piece of cake and an afternoon nap later so not feeling quite so virtuous today! <em>edited by veganprincess on 07/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 06 May 2014 - 12:08
some of us get up at 5.11 am for work!!!!
Latest post on 06 May 2014 - 11:49
Hi jenny916..so sorry it has taken a while to reply...I was without a computer for several days. Would love to meet for coffee. Could you send me an email: jaybridge2005 at yahoo dot com...let me know when I can remove the address. :) Looking forward to hearing from you! Also, Puck and Weebles...I love walking and wandering...tis a bit hot now although I managed (jjust) a couple of circuits of Safa Park at 5.30 this morning. Would love to hear from anyone who wants to hang out and beat the summer blues! Sorry, did you just say 5.30 in the morning??? LOL Is there one ?
Latest post on 06 May 2014 - 11:45
Hi jenny916..so sorry it has taken a while to reply...I was without a computer for several days. Would love to meet for coffee. Could you send me an email: jaybridge2005 at yahoo dot com...let me know when I can remove the address. :) Looking forward to hearing from you! Also, Puck and Weebles...I love walking and wandering...tis a bit hot now although I managed (jjust) a couple of circuits of Safa Park at 5.30 this morning. Would love to hear from anyone who wants to hang out and beat the summer blues! Sorry, did you just say 5.30 in the morning??? LOL
Latest post on 06 May 2014 - 10:55
Hi jenny916..so sorry it has taken a while to reply...I was without a computer for several days. Would love to meet for coffee. Could you send me an email: at yahoo dot com...let me know when I can remove the address. :) Looking forward to hearing from you! Also, Puck and Weebles...I love walking and wandering...tis a bit hot now although I managed (jjust) a couple of circuits of Safa Park at 5.30 this morning. Would love to hear from anyone who wants to hang out and beat the summer blues! <em>edited by veganprincess on 07/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 12:22
I live in Umm Suqiem 2 and I don't venture to the big malls or over to Sheik Zayed yet. I pretty much stick to Al Wasl and JBRoad for the time being. If one of the mods could set something up, there are plenty of Starbucks (one I can walk to). I am near Al Manara and JBR. I have a daughter in school all day and plenty of free time, I don't work. There is so much to do on this side of town. :)
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 00:19
I also think this is interesting. I've found that there is stuff happening over the weekends, but not a lot happening during the week. I'd really like to find a bunch of people who get out and explore (weather permitting) the area. I love taking photos, but not too sure about straying too far from the malls, etc. If anyone knows of such groups, please let me know. OP sorry to hijack. I feel like you as well... Puck I would be up for keeping you company! Hi Jenny. I'm in nz/oz at the moment but will contact you through this thread when I get back and then perhaps meet up at a coffee morning. Well done for triggering this thread!
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 17:17
Hi, Why don't you join the mall walkers in MOE? They are a really lovely bunch of ladies of all ages who get together at 8am (I think) every week day morning and walk the mall for exercise. They have a coffee after and often do day trips too. You don't have to go every morning but they are so welcoming! Good luck it is hard being lonely here.
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 17:01
Hi Jenny again, how about tomorrow, Wed, at the expat coffee morning in the Mall of the Emirates. It is on from 0830 till at least 1030 though ladies often stay on chatting. You can combine it with shopping after! It's in the back of Biella, an Italian restaurant. Maybe see you there :-)
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 14:42
There is a hostess at each one... if you let us know which one you're going to we will inform the hostess so she knows and she'll make sure you're altogether. All you have to do is introduce yourself to her...the cafes all know where the group is as well so you can always ask a waiter, they usually have flags on the table or a pop up banner with our logo on. There are between 10 and 30 people at each one so it's not easy to get lost. There's tons of info about the coffee mornings and how to make friends in Dubai here http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_discover_dubai_How_To_Make_Friends_In_Dubai_10421.aspx HTH
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 14:24
Jenny I would like to meet up too but not sure how we would all find each other at an expat woman coffee morning
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 13:35
Whereabouts are you jenny916? I live not far from Wasl Square and to tell you the truth I'm feeling a bit lonely in Umm Suqeim myself as recently various friends have left etc...Would love to meet for coffee/chat. Hi Veganprincess, I am close to Kings School and would love to meet for coffee
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 13:19
Hi All, Why don't you pick one of our hosted coffee mornings to meet up at and take it from there? It's not allowed to arrange meet ups on the forum unfortunately. We've got 10 a week all round town and they will continue over the summer. Great, safe place to meet members from the forum and to make new friends. All the details can be found here on the Coffee Mornings page http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_events_whats_on.aspx#CoffeeMorning Warm regards, EW Admin Thanks Admin
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 13:17
I also think this is interesting. I've found that there is stuff happening over the weekends, but not a lot happening during the week. I'd really like to find a bunch of people who get out and explore (weather permitting) the area. I love taking photos, but not too sure about straying too far from the malls, etc. If anyone knows of such groups, please let me know. OP sorry to hijack. I feel like you as well... Puck I would be up for keeping you company!
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 13:10
Hi Jenny, can you come along to coffee morning in the Mercato Mall tomorrow morning? It's on from 10-12 and there is a wide range of ages, very friendly and welcoming. Hop in a taxi if you are nervous driving. We meet upstairs in the coffee place by the kids play area, Plaisir du Chocolat. Hope to see you there :-) Hi Oldtimer. Tuesday morning is the only time I actually do something as I help out at a nursery close to where I stay, will look at the other coffee mornings though thanks
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 13:04
Whereabouts are you jenny916? I live not far from Wasl Square and to tell you the truth I'm feeling a bit lonely in Umm Suqeim myself as recently various friends have left etc...Would love to meet for coffee/chat.
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 13:04
Hi jenny, sorry to hear you're finding it hard to settle. Could you let us know a bit about your interests, hobbies etc? Also, do you know EW run coffee mornings - check out What's On page :-) Don't worry, everyone has been in your position at some point. Thanks Whiteorchid I will do that!
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 12:51
Hi All, Why don't you pick one of our hosted coffee mornings to meet up at and take it from there? It's not allowed to arrange meet ups on the forum unfortunately. We've got 10 a week all round town and they will continue over the summer. Great, safe place to meet members from the forum and to make new friends. All the details can be found here on the Coffee Mornings page http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_events_whats_on.aspx#CoffeeMorning Warm regards, EW Admin <em>edited by admin on 29/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 11:35
I also think this is interesting. I've found that there is stuff happening over the weekends, but not a lot happening during the week. I'd really like to find a bunch of people who get out and explore (weather permitting) the area. I love taking photos, but not too sure about straying too far from the malls, etc. If anyone knows of such groups, please let me know. OP sorry to hijack. I feel like you as well... Puck; Grab your camera, take a taxi to HSBC / Central bank in Bur dubai and wander around - take an abra to cross the creek and find spice souk and gold souk - ignore the "bagmen" and just snap away..... it really is fun and safe and the only annoying thing is the "bagmen" edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 29/04/2014 Thanks Izzy. I need to stop being feeble! OP - sorry again....
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 11:29
I also think this is interesting. I've found that there is stuff happening over the weekends, but not a lot happening during the week. I'd really like to find a bunch of people who get out and explore (weather permitting) the area. I love taking photos, but not too sure about straying too far from the malls, etc. If anyone knows of such groups, please let me know. OP sorry to hijack. I feel like you as well... Puck; Grab your camera, take a taxi to HSBC / Central bank in Bur dubai and wander around - take an abra to cross the creek and find spice souk and gold souk - ignore the "bagmen" and just snap away..... it really is fun and safe and the only annoying thing is the "bagmen" <em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 29/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 11:22
Thanks weebles. Will do so. In my previous life, I could roam freely, but worked in high pressure job so didn't really have the time to really get into it. Now I've got the time as I'm not working, live in a very interesting part of the world, but am timid about exploring on my own.... Thanks again. Don't be timid, I feel much safer here than most other places in the world and don't be shy about poking about with your camera - the beauty of digital is that you can take hundreds of shots and delete 98% of the rubbish. You will find most people love having their picture taken but ask first obviously!!! Personally, I love taking depth of field photos of flora and fauna but I really want to get into black and white stuff. I know GPP does some walks around Dubai - Bur Dubai, Fish Market, etc - Friday afternoons I think. I wish I could come and join you on your future roams around the city. Thanks weebles. Perhaps we will get together to roam at some stage over the weekend... I love the old parts and the people and culture. Global Village was amazing as well.
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 11:19
Thanks weebles. Will do so. In my previous life, I could roam freely, but worked in high pressure job so didn't really have the time to really get into it. Now I've got the time as I'm not working, live in a very interesting part of the world, but am timid about exploring on my own.... Thanks again. Don't be timid, I feel much safer here than most other places in the world and don't be shy about poking about with your camera - the beauty of digital is that you can take hundreds of shots and delete 98% of the rubbish. You will find most people love having their picture taken but ask first obviously!!! Personally, I love taking depth of field photos of flora and fauna but I really want to get into black and white stuff. I know GPP does some walks around Dubai - Bur Dubai, Fish Market, etc - Friday afternoons I think. I wish I could come and join you on your future roams around the city.
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 11:11
Thanks weebles. Will do so. In my previous life, I could roam freely, but worked in high pressure job so didn't really have the time to really get into it. Now I've got the time as I'm not working, live in a very interesting part of the world, but am timid about exploring on my own.... Thanks again.
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 11:01
I also think this is interesting. I've found that there is stuff happening over the weekends, but not a lot happening during the week. I'd really like to find a bunch of people who get out and explore (weather permitting) the area. I love taking photos, but not too sure about straying too far from the malls, etc. If anyone knows of such groups, please let me know. OP sorry to hijack. I feel like you as well... Puck, if photography is your thing, take a look at Gulf Photo Plus (GPP) based in Al Quoz. They have lots of events on and I am sure they do some stuff during the week too. I am just getting into photography and took one of their beginner courses (weekend though because I do the dreaded 'work' thing). I wish I had more time to mooch about taking photos of so many interesting things in Dubai.
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 10:55
I also think this is interesting. I've found that there is stuff happening over the weekends, but not a lot happening during the week. I'd really like to find a bunch of people who get out and explore (weather permitting) the area. I love taking photos, but not too sure about straying too far from the malls, etc. If anyone knows of such groups, please let me know. OP sorry to hijack. I feel like you as well...
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 06:35
Would very much like to meet up also. Somewhat similar circumstances!
Latest post on 29 April 2014 - 00:15
Another one here lonely during the week......with kids in the UK at uni :) My friends all seem to have left recently too! <em>edited by fruitcake on 29/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 28 April 2014 - 20:01
Hi Jenny, I live in Umm Sequim and run a family related volunteer group, would you perhaps like to volunteer to support a family who is finding it tough at the moment?
Latest post on 28 April 2014 - 17:38
Hi Jenny, can you come along to coffee morning in the Mercato Mall tomorrow morning? It's on from 10-12 and there is a wide range of ages, very friendly and welcoming. Hop in a taxi if you are nervous driving. We meet upstairs in the coffee place by the kids play area, Plaisir du Chocolat. Hope to see you there :-)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY