maid salary / leave salary / etc. | ExpatWoman.com

maid salary / leave salary / etc.

Latest post on 25 September 2014 - 10:23
Brit's may understand it better as double time. If you work on your day off you may earn time and a half (50% extra salary) or double time (100% extra salary). For double time, if you work (for instance) on a Sunday which would usually be your day off, instead of being paid your normal amount of 100 you would receive 200 and the day off would be lost. So if a maid usually earns 2000 per month and doesn't want to take her leave, she would receive 4000 and lose the months holiday for ever. Hope this doesn't confuse further.
Latest post on 25 September 2014 - 09:18
It depends.....did you agree with her that YOU need her to stay back and work..... If so she is entitled to get her extra salary... I have great Sri Lankan lady working.....but she did the same this year ... She stayed back herself that she wanted to save money....while we were away on vacation....I insisted she a ails her leave...she didn't ...the day I came back she asked me for an extra salary.....I was surprised how this wasn't mentioned earlier....
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 23:44
Thank you oopsiedaisy. If the maid agreed to have the leave at same time as family went home is she entitled to it? My friend isn't being difficult but they went on leave in June and the extra salary wasn't mentioned and now it has. If it was agreed that she would take leave at that time then no, she isn't entitled to an extra months salary. You get either the month off or an extra months salary in lieu, not both. If leave wasn't agreed then your friend needs to pay the extra month. Yes, that's correct.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 21:19
Thank you oopsiedaisy. If the maid agreed to have the leave at same time as family went home is she entitled to it? My friend isn't being difficult but they went on leave in June and the extra salary wasn't mentioned and now it has. If it was agreed that she would take leave at that time then no, she isn't entitled to an extra months salary. You get either the month off or an extra months salary in lieu, not both. If leave wasn't agreed then your friend needs to pay the extra month.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 20:39
Thank you oopsiedaisy. If the maid agreed to have the leave at same time as family went home is she entitled to it? My friend isn't being difficult but they went on leave in June and the extra salary wasn't mentioned and now it has.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 20:34
Yes, correct. 13th month is confusing. She gets 12 month's salary for 11 month work in a year. If she works 12 month you pay her an extra month.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 20:27
Thanks ladies. It's very confusing, I've had a maid for 3 years- she has always taken her leave and I've paid her for the month she's off but she has never received 13 months salary. Is this not correct? She gets 12 salaries a year including the month she is on holiday.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 20:00
Messaging on behalf of a friend. Maid decided not to go on leave so stayed here. They paid her 3k for flight ticket instead. They went away for 1 month so she didn't work but she's now asking for the 13 month salary. Is she entitled to this? Thanks Yes she is, It is stated on the contract that is signed by both parties when processing her visa.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 19:58
Did they agree beforehand that the maid would take the month the family was away as her annual leave/holiday? If no, then she is entitled to the extra salary she would be paid during her annual leave.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 18:19
Messaging on behalf of a friend. Maid decided not to go on leave so stayed here. They paid her 3k for flight ticket instead. They went away for 1 month so she didn't work but she's now asking for the 13 month salary. Is she entitled to this? Thanks
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:50
You girls like to make things confusing lol A maid is contracted for 12 months and contract to work 11 months. If the maid gos on Vacation she gets paid as normal (once a month but obviously they like the salary early to take hom with them) If your maid stays here and works, then you have to pay them the extra month salary becuase they are working an extra month (ie 12 months working instead of 11 months) thanks for the clarification mumofmoo
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:48
You girls like to make things confusing lol A maid is contracted for 12 months and contract to work 11 months. If the maid gos on Vacation she gets paid as normal (once a month but obviously they like the salary early to take hom with them) If your maid stays here and works, then you have to pay them the extra month salary becuase they are working an extra month (ie 12 months working instead of 11 months)
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:48
Because leagally she is entitled to one month PAID leave...... if she works through that she is still entitled to it.... so a 13 month is paid..... if she's going on leave she just gets her regular pay. Ah ok, I get it now. Thanks.
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:46
her 13th month salary was basically her leave salary... which she basically never went on... until now... so I just want to make sure that I'm not undercutting her... this is [u'>[b'>not[/b'>[/u'> a bonus... we give her extra money as a gift on birthdays (both hers and our kids) and also on religious festivals (her festivals)... but never as a bonus and she hasn't expected that either... we have however given her a salary increment each year... I guess I will need to talk to her and explain the whole 13th month salary was leave salary bit... But why would you pay her a "leave salary" when she doesn't go on leave, and then not pay it when she does go? That doesn't make sense to me, unless I've misunderstood something. To me it seems fairest that she gets her 13th month salary this year too. I'm sure that's not illegal and you've benefited from her not going on annual leave for two years previously. Because leagally she is entitled to one month PAID leave...... if she works through that she is still entitled to it.... so a 13 month is paid..... if she's going on leave she just gets her regular pay.
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:44
her 13th month salary was basically her leave salary... which she basically never went on... until now... so I just want to make sure that I'm not undercutting her... this is [u'>[b'>not[/b'>[/u'> a bonus... we give her extra money as a gift on birthdays (both hers and our kids) and also on religious festivals (her festivals)... but never as a bonus and she hasn't expected that either... we have however given her a salary increment each year... I guess I will need to talk to her and explain the whole 13th month salary was leave salary bit... But why would you pay her a "leave salary" when she doesn't go on leave, and then not pay it when she does go? That doesn't make sense to me, unless I've misunderstood something. To me it seems fairest that she gets her 13th month salary this year too. I'm sure that's not illegal and you've benefited from her not going on annual leave for two years previously.
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:42
If you have been paying your maid an annual bonus then you owe her 3 months salary for the extra month worked. huh?? because you have been only paying her monthly salary - she is entitled to paid leave; if she worked through her leave you should pay her double for that month. which is what I did with the 13th month salary... basically paying her leave salary for the month that she worked (when she should have technically been away)
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:39
If you have been paying your maid an annual bonus then you owe her 3 months salary for the extra month worked. huh?? because you have been only paying her monthly salary - she is entitled to paid leave; if she worked through her leave you should pay her double for that month.
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:37
If you have been paying your maid an annual bonus then you owe her 3 months salary for the extra month worked. huh??
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:36
I guess it depends on why the 13th month salary was paid by the OP. Was it an annual bonus or additional compensation for the maid working through her annual leave period? Since the flight allowance was paid in cash to compensate the maid for not taking her leave, I assumed that the 13th month's salary was an annual bonus. If that's the case, it's still payable of the maid decides to take her annual leave - but the flight allowance isn't, as it its used towards the flights home. I wouldn't expect any employer to force employees to forego bonus payments because they take their rightfully earned annual leave entitlement. But then again, I have come to understand that maids and nannies in Dubai are most often not treated like other humans. her 13th month salary was basically her leave salary... which she basically never went on... until now... so I just want to make sure that I'm not undercutting her... this is [u'>[b'>not[/b'>[/u'> a bonus... we give her extra money as a gift on birthdays (both hers and our kids) and also on religious festivals (her festivals)... but never as a bonus and she hasn't expected that either... we have however given her a salary increment each year... I guess I will need to talk to her and explain the whole 13th month salary was leave salary bit...
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:36
If you have been paying your maid an annual bonus then you owe her 3 months salary for the extra month worked.
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:34
exactly my thoughts... just so confused about this... and would really like to understand what I'm legally obliged to Why did you pay her the 13th month salary to begin with?
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:32
She has been paid the extra month as she has stayed here and prob worked her holiday, hence paying extra. If she is not here why should OP pay her for 13 months? exactly my thoughts... just so confused about this... and would really like to understand what I'm legally obliged to
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:31
I guess it depends on why the 13th month salary was paid by the OP. Was it an annual bonus or additional compensation for the maid working through her annual leave period? Since the flight allowance was paid in cash to compensate the maid for not taking her leave, I assumed that the 13th month's salary was an annual bonus. If that's the case, it's still payable of the maid decides to take her annual leave - but the flight allowance isn't, as it its used towards the flights home. I wouldn't expect any employer to force employees to forego bonus payments because they take their rightfully earned annual leave entitlement. But then again, I have come to understand that maids and nannies in Dubai are most often not treated like other humans.
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:26
Not sure a maids contract states an annual bonus is to be paid?
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:25
Never worked in a company where I got an annual bonus, I got an annual salary divided by 12 and 6 weeks paid holiday..so I took 6 weeks off but my monthly salary continued to be paid into my bank account.
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:22
She has been paid the extra month as she has stayed here and prob worked her holiday, hence paying extra. If she is not here why should OP pay her for 13 months? Do you forego bonuses at work because you take annual leave during the month when the bonuses are paid?
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 11:18
She has been paid the extra month as she has stayed here and prob worked her holiday, hence paying extra. If she is not here why should OP pay her for 13 months?
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 10:17
thanks for clarifying that... so I just continue paying her every month as is... with no 13th month salary in advance on may 7th... I don't think that's right. In May every previous year, you have paid her the monthly salary, the 13th month salary (which is like her annual bonus) + her flight allowance, as she has chosen not to fly home. But as she is now flying home, the only difference is that she will get her tickets paid for. So you should still pay her the monthly salary + the 13th month salary. Every month after that you continue to pay as normal. If you want to give her the salary due on the 7th June in advance too (since she will be away on that date) that's up to you.
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 09:18
Exactly as you are paying for her plane ticket right...? yes we are and it's already been booked and paid for
Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 09:16
As she is back on the 10th July (didn't see the date there), you can pay her July salary when she is back as only a few days late.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY