Anxious - Planning to move to Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Anxious - Planning to move to Dubai

Latest post on 30 April 2014 - 16:23

Hi,

We are planning to move to Dubai and have few questions. Please help !
My husband has bene offered a job. He will be moving with me and my 3 year old daughter. Here are few questions that we have before making a big decision -

1) He has been offered a salary of 14000 (all inclusive) AED per month. Do you think this is good enough to rent an apt in dubai, eat well and also send my daughter to an American/British school ?

2) Are the schools very expensive in Dubai and is the education really good ?

3) Some people advised us to stay in Sharjah to say on some rent. But some other folks suggested that Dubai is a better place to stay and also Dubai has better education to offer for my daughter.

4) My husband's company is not paying anything for me and my daughter's travel. What does my husband need to do ?

5) Are the fees to get VISAS for me and my daughter expensive as my husband has to bear the expense ?

Waiting for your expert advice.

Thanks !

Latest post on 04 May 2014 - 15:05
I was told today that they are changing the rules regarding sponsoring dependants as in family members, earlier the salary was a min of 7000, but they are going to raise it to 15,000 so this is also something your husband needs to check with his company. It was AED 4000 a month and is being changed to AED 10000.http://m.thenational.ae/uae/labour-law/families-hit-by-new-minimum-monthly-wage-rule-for-visas GN reporting is not changed at all now, still 4k as before. “So far there is no change,” the official told Gulf News. “Transactions are taking place as we speak on the normal Dh4,000 salary requirement,” the official said." http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/visa/new-rule-on-family-visa-sponsorship-clarified-1.1327711
Latest post on 04 May 2014 - 14:45
There are three whole pages of very insightful advice and a wealth of real life info on this thread including a post by Admin with some useful links, so I cannot see the occasion for dismissive comments that responses to the OP's question have been [i'>"brief and lacking in info" [/i'> I disagree and actually find that a little offensive towards all those who have genuinely taken the time to help the OP in her research. Wishing the OP all the best with her decision. Well that wasn't what was said, was it?? What I said was that the OP's questions are often brief almost to the point of firing out a quick question and appearing slightly rude and lacking in the info that people need to answer properly e.g. where is your husband working? Answer ; Dubai. Quote "in fact the answers are so brief and lacking in info that I have wondered if this thread is not for real.." Don't see any reference to the OP in that sentence but if that is what you meant then your reply was not clear edited by Di@DXB on 04/05/2014 Agree and your interpretation was incorrect. You did not actually say "[i'>the OP's questions are often brief almost to the point of firing out a quick question and appearing slightly rude and lacking in the info that people need to answer properly" until your response to me above."[/i'> You may have meant it, but I am not psychic!
Latest post on 04 May 2014 - 13:20
There are three whole pages of very insightful advice and a wealth of real life info on this thread including a post by Admin with some useful links, so I cannot see the occasion for dismissive comments that responses to the OP's question have been [i'>"brief and lacking in info" [/i'> I disagree and actually find that a little offensive towards all those who have genuinely taken the time to help the OP in her research. Wishing the OP all the best with her decision. Well that wasn't what was said, was it?? What I said was that the OP's questions are often brief almost to the point of firing out a quick question and appearing slightly rude and lacking in the info that people need to answer properly e.g. where is your husband working? Answer ; Dubai. Quote "in fact the answers are so brief and lacking in info that I have wondered if this thread is not for real.." Don't see any reference to the OP in that sentence but if that is what you meant then your reply was not clear edited by Di@DXB on 04/05/2014 Agree and your interpretation was incorrect.
Latest post on 04 May 2014 - 06:46
There are three whole pages of very insightful advice and a wealth of real life info on this thread including a post by Admin with some useful links, so I cannot see the occasion for dismissive comments that responses to the OP's question have been [i'>"brief and lacking in info" [/i'> I disagree and actually find that a little offensive towards all those who have genuinely taken the time to help the OP in her research. Wishing the OP all the best with her decision. Well that wasn't what was said, was it?? What I said was that the OP's questions are often brief almost to the point of firing out a quick question and appearing slightly rude and lacking in the info that people need to answer properly e.g. where is your husband working? Answer ; Dubai. Quote "in fact the answers are so brief and lacking in info that I have wondered if this thread is not for real.." Don't see any reference to the OP in that sentence but if that is what you meant then your reply was not clear <em>edited by Di@DXB on 04/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 04 May 2014 - 06:43
There are three whole pages of very insightful advice and a wealth of real life info on this thread including a post by Admin with some useful links, so I cannot see the occasion for dismissive comments that responses to the OP's question have been [i'>"brief and lacking in info" [/i'> I disagree and actually find that a little offensive towards all those who have genuinely taken the time to help the OP in her research. Wishing the OP all the best with her decision. Well that wasn't what was said, was it?? What I said was that the OP's questions are often brief almost to the point of firing out a quick question and appearing slightly rude and lacking in the info that people need to answer properly e.g. where is your husband working? Answer ; Dubai.
Latest post on 04 May 2014 - 06:28
There are three whole pages of very insightful advice and a wealth of real life info on this thread including a post by Admin with some useful links, so I cannot see the occasion for dismissive comments that responses to the OP's question have been [i'>"brief and lacking in info" [/i'> I disagree and actually find that a little offensive towards all those who have genuinely taken the time to help the OP in her research. Wishing the OP all the best with her decision.
Latest post on 03 May 2014 - 07:14
I was told today that they are changing the rules regarding sponsoring dependants as in family members, earlier the salary was a min of 7000, but they are going to raise it to 15,000 so this is also something your husband needs to check with his company. It was AED 4000 a month and is being changed to AED 10000.http://m.thenational.ae/uae/labour-law/families-hit-by-new-minimum-monthly-wage-rule-for-visas
Latest post on 02 May 2014 - 23:47
I was told today that they are changing the rules regarding sponsoring dependants as in family members, earlier the salary was a min of 7000, but they are going to raise it to 15,000 so this is also something your husband needs to check with his company.
Latest post on 02 May 2014 - 22:59
dubaiexplorer; I know it probably seems daunting to move to Dubai after reading the posts, I would be afraid to move if I wasn't already here lol! In reality what the girls have posted is true and it is very expensive here in Dubai, manageable and enjoyable (beautiful place and people) if you have the right contract with your employers. Don't be turned off coming to Dubai but do ensure what a potential employer is offering will cover your costs and savings. In the UK (sorry not sure where you are from) a salary of 2-5 thousand is good because you can avail of free schooling, free NHS and rent or even mortgage is relatively less than here, food and clothing and other entertainment is also cost less (obviously depends). One can only comment from their experience and lifestyle and in Dubai there are so many, a salary that wouldn't cover someone's rent for a month would potentially cover someone's rent for the year, that is the reality in Dubai. It is also very difficult to move between employment once contracted (especially within the first year) so always read the contract and understand it!) If possible (I would suggest always) visit first and see for yourself what is on offer and what is best for you and your family, best of luck x
Latest post on 02 May 2014 - 21:21
Hi QueenL, This post is for real and I am doing the research athat I can. It is a very important deciosin for us and I want to be very sure of the steps we take. Since you al are stating there , I wanted to get first hand views. If ypu are irritated and do not think you want to add to this therad, I am thankful for whatever you have suggested and may not continue t provide your thoughts. It is a very important decision for my family and ony reading articles may not give me realk picture, so i thought to ask for expert advice
Latest post on 02 May 2014 - 11:19
So what is the cost of living in these areas I'm going to be a bit harsh here and suggest you you do some research. You seem to know very little about Dubai and that is concerning. Working as a mother of a child is not easy here - there are major logistical hurdles which are easily overcome if you have the $$$$. Yes that's harsh! Dubaiexplorer is doing research here and I would think on other ways too. You know that, do you? Not much evidence of it.. You are entitled to your opinion but there is a huge amount of lack of basic knowledge about the place and in the end it is her family that will suffer. People are happy to help BUT there is a limit... She's never been in Dubai, so of course she will have a lot of questions! If your limit is reached log out or check another thread... edited by Silvstet on 02/05/2014 No I am entitled to say what i think as it is relevant - we had a poster on here before who went through all of this in a very similar fashion THEN hated it and came on and slagged everyone off ....in fact the answers are so brief and lacking in info that I have wondered if this thread is not for real..
Latest post on 02 May 2014 - 11:13
Bottom line: if you are willing to live a more frugal and humble life in the UAE go for it! It can be done BUT it will be tough. There are so many added expenses here that I would have never occurred back at home...childcare issues, healthcare, transportation (cars), etc...do a bit of maths based on factual numerics: -contact actual schools for fees, admissions info -search for flats on dubizzle, go to the RERA website to get an accurate idea of rent -check what medical insurance you will receive here and what that will cover down to the last tooth -check car rental companies online or email them for quotations -email an agency asking for the costs of a part-time helper etc... Good luck! :-)
Latest post on 02 May 2014 - 11:00
So what is the cost of living in these areas I'm going to be a bit harsh here and suggest you you do some research. You seem to know very little about Dubai and that is concerning. Working as a mother of a child is not easy here - there are major logistical hurdles which are easily overcome if you have the $$$$. Yes that's harsh! Dubaiexplorer is doing research here and I would think on other ways too. You know that, do you? Not much evidence of it.. You are entitled to your opinion but there is a huge amount of lack of basic knowledge about the place and in the end it is her family that will suffer. People are happy to help BUT there is a limit...
Latest post on 02 May 2014 - 10:53
So what is the cost of living in these areas I'm going to be a bit harsh here and suggest you you do some research. You seem to know very little about Dubai and that is concerning. Working as a mother of a child is not easy here - there are major logistical hurdles which are easily overcome if you have the $$$$.
Latest post on 02 May 2014 - 10:43
Also since many of you have suggested on this thread that I should also take up a job. I am an IT professional with 8 years of IT experience in software. If I also earn say around 10 K ( totalling the household income to be around 25000 AED per month) ., we would need to send my daughter to a day care. S that is what I am trying to explore. Is that not correct ? Thanks Please be aware that the IT market is saturated here in Dubai and there are IT professionals with 10 years plus' experience happy to work for a very low salary (3-4,000 AED) a month, there is also the reality that those from the same background as you, will be paid a lot less even though they have skills and first class degrees, it may seem unfair but it is sadly a reality. IT jobs can often entail long and out of normal hours working - I know this as my company have a small number of IT experts on coveted overseas contracts who only just make 10,000AED a month - however if your husband is on an overseas contract then it is unlikely that you will be able to have an overseas contract, and be employed as a local contract with no benefits. I had a job in the UK that paid twice what I earn here with shorter hours, but as a working mum this is what is on offer and I have to take it - however my husband is on 5x what he earned in the UK - so for us it balances out, but do the maths before your come - when you get here and it is not quite as rosy you may regret it. Jobs for spouses are very hard to find and then you have to balance the costs of childcare and/or schooling. Please think very carefully about coming. Working mums with no support network (family or housemaid/nanny) find it very hard as the culture and infrastructure is not mature here to support it. I have been here 5 years and the cost of housing has risen significantly, school fees have risen significantly, and the cost of living is rising by the month - yet no increases in salaries/benefits. Currently we're still in a position to stay - but Dubai is not a place I want to be where I would have to watch every dirham, unexpected costs just appear and you have no option to delay paying some of these! Yes people manage on a lot less, but I would not give up a good life to come here and potentially struggle. I wish you well in your choices
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 17:15
www.propertyfinder.ae or www.dubizzle.com will guide you on rental prices.
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 17:14
So what is the cost of living in these areas
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 17:05
the commute to al barsha is not bad at all from more affordable areas like: Al Nahda, Al Ghusais, Mirdif, Silicon Oasis, International City etc. There are also plenty of nurseries and schools in these areas.
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 17:01
Al Barsha The distance between Barsha and Sharjah is a minimum of 50 km. The commute out of Sharjah in the mornings and into Sharjah in the evenings is horrible. It may take him anywhere between 1 and 2 hours twice a day. If you're looking at affordable housing you're better of looking at appartments in silicon oasis. But you will need a car as I don't think there's public transport between Silicon Oasis and Barsha. I don't know about schools there, maybe others can advice. Agree with this. I have no idea about the cost of living close to that area, others might be able to help
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 16:49
Al Barsha The distance between Barsha and Sharjah is a minimum of 50 km. The commute out of Sharjah in the mornings and into Sharjah in the evenings is horrible. It may take him anywhere between 1 and 2 hours twice a day. If you're looking at affordable housing you're better of looking at appartments in silicon oasis. But you will need a car as I don't think there's public transport between Silicon Oasis and Barsha. I don't know about schools there, maybe others can advice.
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 16:33
Al Barsha
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 16:24
His job location is Dubai Dubai is huge! Where in Dubai?
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 16:22
His job location is Dubai
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 16:21
Can I ask about the location of your husband's job? It will be easier for us to advise you about schools & accommodation
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 16:20
They changed the rules for starting school this year. For the year 2014-2015 the kid should turn 4 before 31st December 2014. You need to explore more about this, & I guess now it's too late to register her in a school most schools have long waiting lists & registration is closed. but you can go for a nursery with FS1/ KG1. I'm not saying you will not find A job, you might find a job immediately. I don't like rushing into things, it seems that you made up your mind regarding coming here, which is the 1st step, now figure out where you're going to stay them plan accordingly. Once you're done with this you can think about schools.
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 16:12
Also stating in sharjah is not possible because of various factors like husband's job in Dubai and openess in culture compared to Dubai
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 16:11
We will be staying in Dubai and yes will try taking up a house near the school But confused why are you saying she wont go to a school for a year. She will be 3 on 21 Aug 2014 and then i guess will go to a school that offer FS1 ? Also since many of you have suggested on this thread that I should also take up a job. I am an IT professional with 8 years of IT experience in software. If I also earn say around 10 K ( totalling the household income to be around 25000 AED per month) ., we would need to send my daughter to a day care. S that is what I am trying to explore. Is that not correct ? Thanks
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 15:50
1st make up your mind where you are going to stay before thinking about all this, you have a whole year before your kid goes officially to school, you might work in a school & have your kid with you a win win situation. Your kid is not even 3! She would benefit from having you around during the 1st few months as it will be all new for her away from familiar faces. Before deciding to live in sharjah check the location of your husband's work, then plan accordingly. The 1st thing I'd look for is accommodation in your case, you will need to furnish it & so on. It is still too early to worry about schools, daycare & so on. I don't even see a point of looking at schools or nurseries if you don't even know where you're going to live. Traffic is killing here, for a nursery it is better if you find a place close to your house, kids get sick a lot during the 1st year of school. Try to breath & stop worrying about all those stuff at this stage. Good luck!
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 15:45
http://www.uaebizindex.com/The-Little-Star-Nursery-2428-151.htm (hours 8-6) http://www.orangetreedubai.com/ (hours 7am-6pm) http://www.uae4kidz.biz/education-childcare/dubai-ec/nurseries-dubai/building-blocks-al-jafiliya-branch http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/expatinfo/littlewings.htm There's four to start you off. But there are lots, you could spend a morning/afternoon driving around all the streets in these areas. I hate Orange tree and wouldnt use it but I know for a fact that it is up to 950 a month just for the transport, never mind the fees!
Latest post on 01 May 2014 - 15:23
http://www.uaebizindex.com/The-Little-Star-Nursery-2428-151.htm (hours 8-6) http://www.orangetreedubai.com/ (hours 7am-6pm) http://www.uae4kidz.biz/education-childcare/dubai-ec/nurseries-dubai/building-blocks-al-jafiliya-branch http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/expatinfo/littlewings.htm There's four to start you off. But there are lots, you could spend a morning/afternoon driving around all the streets in these areas.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY