Importing the pet - so many questions | ExpatWoman.com

Importing the pet - so many questions

Latest post on 20 May 2014 - 18:56
Thanks for the measures. I think there is only one registry-page: https://eservices.moew.gov.ae/OnlineRegisteration.aspx Otherwise I didn't find anything else. I think I'm going to buy this one: http://www.amazon.de/Stefanplast-Transportbox-GULLIVER-IATA-52/dp/B000LOY9QG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1400597204&sr=1-1&keywords=iata It's 70x50x51 and has IATA-Standards.. I think it's very large, but it will be more comfortable :)
Latest post on 18 May 2014 - 12:18
Regarding the travelbox: you must make sure that the cat inside is comfortable and able to stand up and rotate itself. When standing the kennel must be at least 10cms higher than its head. The kennel must have 2 feeding trays that attach on the door. The door must be metal and must lock.The hinges of the door must surpass the frame of the door.It must also have some absorbing material at the bottom of the kennel and no wheels. The 2 parts of the kennel must be attached together with screws. My travelbox was 60x40x40, which I believe was huge for my regular size cat, but they did not accept anything smaller. I used Emirates cargo (Skycargo) but bookied it through a greek cargo shipment company. Have a look at http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live-animals/pets/Pages/index.aspx http://www.dkc.ae/docs/The_Science_of_Travel_Boxes_and_Measuring_Your_Pet.pdf For MOEW: http://www.moew.gov.ae/en/our-services/animal-wealth/permits/إصدار-إذن-استيراد-حيوانات-الرفقة-قطط-ـ-كلاب.aspx Press Start the service then register and from then on it is pretty straight forward. I do not remember my login details to log in and explain more but I do not remember having any problem. (regarding the arabic name are you sure you are filling in the correct form?)
Latest post on 14 May 2014 - 23:38
Update: I found a nice website with IATA-standard travelboxes. Sadly it's not an english website, but a german one. I hope it is not against the rules, if I post the link. It might could help someone who has the same question: http://www.onlineholidays.de/reisen1/tierereisen/hund_katze_flugbox.html <em>edited by Ciliegia on 14/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 14 May 2014 - 22:45
So I don't need to send the health certificate to the MOEW? I need it later? I always thought I need it to get the permit. Now it makes sense.. Did you request the permit online? I don't get what I have to fill in in the "Full arabic name*" and "full english name" section. I also thought to fly in the afternoon, so we arrive around 23.00. I think it's better, with the temperature too. And I won't mess up my sleeping-rythm. :D For sure the cats don't like the travel, but they are not going through this all the time. It's a single-event and so they will manage ;) LAST question.. After I think to have understood well, what I need to do and how to organize: Now I'm at the point where I am completly confused with the travelboxes. On the internet-petshop where I use to order are some "Cargo Boxes", but completly made of plastic and I can't image that they will accept that. Which airline did you use? And could you tell me which travelbox you chose?
Latest post on 14 May 2014 - 12:16
I imported my cat from Greece about 6 months ago and did it on my own. 1. your pet must have an International Certificate of vaccination and health (passport), all vaccinations up to date, microchip placed and rabies blood test results (from a government party). 2. you apply online at MOEW for the import permit. It lasts 30 days. I did pay thought around 220 AED for this permit via credit card. 3. Once you have the import permit, you need to issue a Government Health Certificate of export for unaccompanied live animals. This lasts 10 days so make sure you have already found the cargo airline. 4. When you have this last document, you can book your date with the cargo and ship your pet here. Note that the cage has to be according to IATA or they cargo airline may not accept the shipment. (I used Emirates Skycargo) 5. Some documents must accompany the pet but they will tell you all about it from the cargo. 6. The pet will arrive in Cargo Village and it takes about 2 hours before you can even start the procedure to take the pet. You have to visit many different people and pay the charges there but they guide you through the procedure so it is not frustrating. Make sure you have plenty of cash with you and your credit card. You also have to visit the airport vet. Before you visit him he has already examined the pet to make sure it is ok. You also have to pay him. Our cat's flight arrived at arround 21.00, we went there at 23.00 and had her in my arms at around 02.00, so be patient. I believe that if you can find a late flight like this it is better as there are not a lot of people there and it is faster and easier for you. I'm glad we did it on our own and saved all that money because the flight itself is already too expensive!!!
Latest post on 14 May 2014 - 08:19
Hi Ciliegia, for the import permit you do everything online, once you have all documents in place (vaccinations, blood test results etc), you Apply online, do not have to pay anything, they will send you the import permit with in 3 days from your request and it has a validity of 30 days. Then you will ask your vet to visit your cat and produce the health certificate within 7 days from your departure and this document, together with all other docs and the permit will travel with the cage. Once in Dubai, at the cargo village, you will have to pay for the import Taxes.
Latest post on 14 May 2014 - 01:03
You just brought me to the dkc.ae :o I didn't find them until now. Thanks a lot! I saw that online-formular on the MOEW - but I don't get through the registry. The ID and arabic name makes me confusion. Maybe I just need my invitation-letter before to understand better. But that's not troubling me. My fiance is getting to Dubai some weeks before me, so he can find a nice apartment and prepare everything, so I will send him personally to the MOEW as I read on their Website it would be the other way. After the health certificate lasts only up to 10 days I guess the MOEW will give imminently the importing permission after paying? Thanks again - I'm getting nerve crises when I only think something could go wrong with my cat :S That it will take a bunch of time is okay, as long as everything's going right.
Latest post on 13 May 2014 - 07:12
Hi Ciliegia, we did all by ourselves. Just carefully read all the info on dkc Dubai, they are perfectly clear, follow the steps. Then we applied for the import permit on the ministry website. The health certificate from your country vet has to Be 7/10 before departure. We spent "only" for the cargo service which is already a huge amount and saved the service expenses. When you arrive to Dubai, you could wait up to 3 more hours after landing before you can meet your pet. Hope it helps.
Latest post on 12 May 2014 - 23:44
Do you know if the certificate of health has to be less than 10 days to request the importing permission at the ministery of environment and water, or did your pet-shipper organized it all? I'm thinking about to use them, too. Because they are very useful, but it costs lot of money which would be nice to save, after spending already a lot of money for the entire relocation. I found different ones and one of them only takes about 900 USD Best wishes
Latest post on 11 May 2014 - 18:06
We just imported our puppy we got from Canada, decided to use a company here to deal with the requirements and gave us a contact in Canada to sort that end out. We used Dubai kennels and cattery, also another company here just sent me info on importing pets: posh paws. If you google both of them perhaps that will be a start. We were really happy to have the help as would have found it daunting. Though I'm sure some have managed well on their own. edited by dancer2003 on 11/05/2014 <em>edited by dancer2003 on 11/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 11 May 2014 - 16:43
Thanks, I already read a lot of articles. But I was hoping someone could share her personal experience with pet-travelling :)
Latest post on 11 May 2014 - 16:12
Use the search bar above and input "importing pets" there are lots of posts with advice regarding this
Latest post on 11 May 2014 - 15:33
Hello :) Some weeks from now I'm going to move to Dubai with my fiancé and we are really looking forward to this, but importing our cat is really stressing me out. I do researches since weeks about all documents, health certificates, passport and everything I need to import it from Europe to Dubai. So basically my question is if anyone of you has already imported a cat from Europe to Dubai and has some precious advise for me. Did you organised it on your own or did you use the services of a pet-shipping company? How where your experience? Was is as complicated as it seems on the internet? I'd really appreciate any information and any advise you can give. :) Thanks

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY