Question about Mirena Coil | ExpatWoman.com

Question about Mirena Coil

Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 17:17

Im due to have one fitted, however after reading all the horror stories on the internet i am not so sure anymore if this is the best option for me. I cant use pills due to blood clotting issues and the depo provera shot does not suit me. Has anyone with the Mirena coil fitted in had issues with weight gain? or perforation? . I know there is a non hormonal coil available as well but my gyne does not recommend that as an option.

Latest post on 04 December 2017 - 08:36
I'm a horror story one too. Had a "permanent" period with cramps when it was in. Also, if you have any history of depression or mood problems STAY AWAY. The mirena coil can compound such symptoms. Was so happy that the doctor took it out, I was better almost immediately.....and unfortunately pregnant shortly after.....I had a tubal ligation when my "bonus surprise" baby was born. Heyjude, can you pls tell me about tubal ligation. How do you feel post this procedure and has it lead to any side effects or weight gain ?
Latest post on 17 May 2014 - 15:07
I'm a horror story one too. Had a "permanent" period with cramps when it was in. Also, if you have any history of depression or mood problems STAY AWAY. The mirena coil can compound such symptoms. Was so happy that the doctor took it out, I was better almost immediately.....and unfortunately pregnant shortly after.....I had a tubal ligation when my "bonus surprise" baby was born.
Latest post on 17 May 2014 - 14:13
Ive used it for years and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. However, the same cant be said for a very close female relative. Her permanent symptoms of PMT and crying and just generally feeling dreadful meant that one day we were out shopping and I took her to a gynaecologist and said pls remove the thing because its awful for her. We'd just had a major meltdown in a shop. She tells me the next morning she woke up feeling human again, the effect of having removed was so instant. But these are only our experiences, you wont know how you'll be with it till you try it. I absolutely love my Mirena even though Im technically almost past the age of needing it - it does help me though with symptoms of the menopause. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 17/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 May 2014 - 08:00
I'm afraid I also am one of the few who had a bad experience with the mirena coil. I persevered for 2 years but unfortunately it caused me repeated cysts on my ovaries and breasts. I also suffered far more severe premenstrual symptoms than previous. I had it removed a few months ago and the cysts are gone and periods far better.
Latest post on 17 May 2014 - 07:49
I am one of those that has only horror stories about the mirena. Not only did I gain weight (eating no differently and still going to gym every single day), I fell pregnant and then lost the baby due to it implanting on the mirena. I would never ever use it again.
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 22:13
I've also been toying with the idea of changing my contraception to the Mirena coil. Any idea how much it costs please?
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 19:53
I'm too on my 3rd mirena and the only reason I gained weight was I ate too many chocolate raisins! I also have very light period, pain free and would highly recommend it :)
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 19:11
The depo provera also didn't suit me when I talked to my gyne about coil options she said that the mirena has the same hormones in it, both her and my endocrinologist said that I should have the normal coil fitted particularly as I was over weight although not a concern for diabetes. I personally would seek a second opinion, the price of both is hugely different. The dosage of hormones in Mirena that is absorbed to the blood flow is significantly lower compared to other forms (oral, depo...)
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 18:37
The depo provera also didn't suit me when I talked to my gyne about coil options she said that the mirena has the same hormones in it, both her and my endocrinologist said that I should have the normal coil fitted particularly as I was over weight although not a concern for diabetes. I personally would seek a second opinion, the price of both is hugely different.
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 18:34
I too am a great fan. Now on my 4th one I can tell you that the hormones have been reduced in the past 15 years, the first 3 mirena coils I had stopped my periods completely after a settling down period of light spotting. With the 4th, most recent mirena, I now get regular light periods due to the milder hormones. Personally I have not suffered with any weight gain. HTH
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 18:32
I had no weight gain when it was placed, and I've always been struggling with weight as well and if the numbers do go upwards I don't blame it on Mirena, I know exactly why it happens. I believe it is an excuse for some people to blame it on something else rather than pure calories... You should try it, give it at least 6 months time to adjust and then see if it fits or not. I feel like born all over again ever since it was put in there...
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 17:51
Personally, I would award Nobel prize to the one that invented Mirena... I have my second one placed, I've even had birth in between. I have no complications whatsoever. The risk of perforation is the same with all IUDs, but the hormone coat in Mirena does miracles for me. When you survive first couple of months (approx 3) of spot bleeding which might be boring but totlly normal, you don't have to worry about that any more. Sometimes I know when I'd be bleeding, sometimes I don't, but I don't even have other PMS sympthoms. My RBC is within normal now, and I used to be anaemic due to severe menorrhagia. As far as I'm concerned I'll just be replacing them one after another every five years... I recommend it! Thanks veela, have you noticed any weight gain with the coil? i am in desperate need to lose weight since it might lead to diabetes if my weight isnt well with the normal range. Im worried the mirena might hinder weight loss. Do you have any experience regarding this?
Latest post on 15 May 2014 - 17:43
Personally, I would award Nobel prize to the one that invented Mirena... I have my second one placed, I've even had birth in between. I have no complications whatsoever. The risk of perforation is the same with all IUDs, but the hormone coat in Mirena does miracles for me. When you survive first couple of months (approx 3) of spot bleeding which might be boring but totlly normal, you don't have to worry about that any more. Sometimes I know when I'd be bleeding, sometimes I don't, but I don't even have other PMS sympthoms. My RBC is within normal now, and I used to be anaemic due to severe menorrhagia. As far as I'm concerned I'll just be replacing them one after another every five years... I recommend it!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY