Bougainville help | ExpatWoman.com

Bougainville help

Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 16:17

Hello ladies.
Anyone out there know anything about Bougainvilles?
When we moved into the house in which we are currently living, there were four bougainville plants along one side of the house and they were massively overgrown and had clearly not been cared for in a long time.
I cut them right back so that the trunk only came about a foot above the ground. Or maybe a bit more than that, but not much.
Anyway, I decided I wanted to turn them into nice round bushes and I've been trimming them back and trying to create my nice fat round bushes for about 9 months now and I don't seem to be getting anywhere very fast!!
Yes they're bigger and fuller and rounder than they were 9 months ago but other than cutting down a few long stems that poke out of the tops of my bushes every week or so, my plants don't seem to be developing any colour. They're just green. And two of them (which were tiny plants I added in between the ones that were already there, are still small and stringy and although they do have some colour, they don't look anything like a round bush. And they've been there for about 9 months too!
Any suggestions??
Many thanks

Latest post on 18 May 2014 - 10:01
I have also struggled to get my bougainvillea to flower - and for me it has been 2 years! They are lush and green but very few flowers. My gardener thinks it's because a tree near mine soaks up their water. Is something like that a possibility?
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 18:28
They love lots of sun and as TB says less water. I had many who were virtually bald at the base but where they had full sun exposure on top of the wall they went wild with leaves and flowers. Yours could also be suffering from over pruning....perhaps don't clip back as often.
Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 17:15
use very little water!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY