bedtime routine advice | ExpatWoman.com

bedtime routine advice

Latest post on 16 May 2014 - 22:01

can anyone give me some advice please as don't seem to be able to get a grasp on this.

I'm trying to figure out a bed time routine for my 3year old, 18 month old and six week old.

can anyone make any suggestions on what times they may have put their kids to bed

I'm finding it difficult to have all the kids in bed by 8pm.

i give dinner at 6pm to the older two and start bath at 7pm, by 8pm their asleep (if I'm luck my eldest won't come out of bed too many times) but the baby has no routine as yet.

any advice would be appreciated

xx

Latest post on 25 May 2014 - 22:29
thank you ladies for all the advice, sorry didn't reply earlier, unfortunately DH came home from a work trip last week with strep throat and passed it on to all of us. have taken on all the advice you ladies have given, and am slowly getting somewhere with the routine. i now start my babies routine around 5.30ish - 6pm which allows me to feed the boys in the kitchen whilst i bath her in the baby bath. my only problem is all my children wake up early, by 5am the day starts. my youngest wakes for a feed around midnight and then again around 3am, from there it goes down hill as she suffers congestions so i end up holding her most of the morning. my eldest on the other hand has always been an early waker ( 6.30 is a considered a sleep in!) refuses to stay in bed though. and my middle child seems to be going through something so don't even now what to say about his sleep at the moment, be happy if he sleep past 4am! does anybody have any advice how to keep them in bed past 5am??? TIA
Latest post on 20 May 2014 - 13:14
i am a huge beliver in routines and started the bath/bottle bed routine at 7 weeks! it wasn't easy as when little DD wouldn't always go down easily, but we persisted and now she goes down like a dream. i couldn't entertain being up all night with a baby, i wanted to have my evenings back. even before she slept through we always knew that 7 pm - 11 pm she would sleep, we could have dinner and re-connect. what time do you kids get up inthe morning? if it's early for school, then 8 pm is maybe a bit late as a bedtime. we feed at 5 pm. bath at 6.30. bed and bottle at 7. My DD is 8 months, and i'm sure it is a lot easier just having one. good luck :)
Latest post on 19 May 2014 - 13:59
I have a 4 year old and a 19 month old and our bedtime routine is as follows:- 5pm Dinner 5.45 Bath 6.15 19 month old has a bottle 6.30'ish teeth brushing 7pm Bed When my 19 month old is about 2 years of age I will start to try feeding dinner later, say at 5.30pm :) Hope this helps and just know that even in our house this time of the day/evening is still busy and often stressful. Best of luck :)
Latest post on 19 May 2014 - 13:13
I have an 8 year old and 5 year old and another on the way. Our routine for many years has been unchanged! We have done bath at 7.00 pm on the dot since they were under 12 months old. Dinner at 5.30 (maybe 5.45 if I am running late). Quiet activities until 7.00pm. I am intending on doing the baby bed routine between 6.30 and 7.00pm. Which will be bath, breastfeed, book and bed. Bathtime for the older 2 at 7.00pm. Clean teeth, get pjs on, read books and then to bed. The older one has lights out at 8.00 and reads to himself. The 5 year old gets his book and then lights are out by 7.30. I have never tolerated coming out at bedtime. When they were little (and not still in the cot) I had a gate across the door and even from about 2 years we have had no dramas. I do the bedtime routine by myself most nights as the DH is rarely home. <em>edited by australiajudy on 19/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 May 2014 - 15:42
Steth, i only have 1 child but at 6 weeks old he was in bed by 6pm- could you get him to bed then in time for dinner at 6? at 6 weeks he was in bed by 6, dreamfeed at 10ish and feeding at 2amish then back down until 7. i did have him in a routine very early though as i was heading back to work...
Latest post on 17 May 2014 - 20:43
I don't have any advice for you but I just wanted to say that I empathize with you. I have four children, ages 6, 5, 2, and 3 months. Nighttime is a disaster for me. My two eldest never want to go to sleep yet I have to wake them up every morning to go to school and they moan and cry! My almost two year-old goes to sleep later than me most nights because he is never tired because he still has an afternoon nap. And the baby wakes up several times a night and does not resettle after 5 am. Most nights I just lie down with all of them and sometime around 9 pm everyone eventually falls asleep!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY