Introducing cats to new family | ExpatWoman.com

Introducing cats to new family

Latest post on 02 June 2014 - 21:43

Hi.

I am re homing two outside cats from my garden to a family in another area. These cats have always lived outside and we have fed them for a few years. I now have a lady that is willing to take them. Can they go straight outside at her place - or will they run away?

Thanks

Latest post on 03 June 2014 - 15:57
Thanks for the advice.
Latest post on 02 June 2014 - 23:51
They will in all probability run away if you put them straight into strange surroundings, and try to get back to your property. They need to be put into a secure area to get used to their new surroundings for a few weeks ( personally I would keep them secure for a minimum of 3 weeks ). Once you let them out into the yard guide them around the new yard for short periods of time and then put them back in the secure area. I know it sounds like a lot of effort for outside ,possible bin kitties, but to successfully transition them will take a bit of time. For all intents and purposes they have established your garden as their home and will be really upset and confused when moved. Another thing that seems to work, can't explain why!, but smear a bit of butter on each of their paws before letting them out...to make sure they come back to the new yard. Wishing you the best with the move.;) <em>edited by Nomad on 02/06/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY