dog over the summer holidays | ExpatWoman.com

dog over the summer holidays

Latest post on 30 June 2014 - 00:30
It would be very expensive if you have to fly two dogs home and back every summer! I do remember from previous posts that you already have a saluki/labrador mix????
Latest post on 07 June 2014 - 20:47
Thank you so much for the reply. We wanted a french bulldog but decided against it as they don't fly well and we will move away eventually so need a breed that flies. Looking at jack russel or pomeranian or yorkie or chihuahua... my hubby stays here most summer so he will take care of the dog but thought it might be nicer to take him to Europe as it is much more dog friendly...Looking into getting the puppy at the end of August onwards so lots of time to think about all the options before next summer.... <em>edited by mareike76 on 07/06/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 June 2014 - 00:35
I have worked with boarding dogs and great options are out there, specially if your dog is social... however, If traveling is not something too stressful for the dog (each dog is a world), and if you plan on being 2 months away, I would definitely consider giving the flying option a shot, more so given it is a UAE-Europe-UAE trip, which is quite straightforward both ways now that there is no need of rabies blood tests when leaving the UAE. One thing to keep in mind though is the breed of the dog since you don't have it yet... snub-nosed dogs do not tend to travel well and are even banned by some airlines... so I would cross those out (as adorable as they are)... plus they are not ideal for UAE hot and humid season anyways (high heat stroke risk). When I worked at Urban Tails we had dogs stay for the whole summer season and they just did fine... plus some owners did not have the option to take them for the summer be it because of destination or because dog was not a good traveller... so boarding was the best option. In your case I would consider the flight since you are going for 2 months... and I am sure your dog will appreciate avoiding the extreme heat ;) John at UT does relocations and could most probably give you a gral estimate versus the price of boarding so you can compare... but for 2 months, as you said, it does make sense to fly. Hope this helped!
Latest post on 05 June 2014 - 14:56
We usually go home for 2 month so boarding or flying would be the same price...plus wouldn't want to leave dog for so long...
Latest post on 05 June 2014 - 14:47
If you can afford it and get through all the paperwork every time, I wouldn't say you can't.
Latest post on 05 June 2014 - 14:39
Hi again, The other question I have is...Would it be possible to fly a dog home over the summer (Europe) every summer? We as a family would like to get a puppy after the summer holidays but are wondering if we could take him home with us every summer....Any ideas???

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY