Working as a midwife in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Working as a midwife in Dubai

Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 13:26

Hi everyone
I'm just after information and advice about what it's like to work as a midwife in Dubai?
I've been approached by a recruiting agent about a job in Doha, Qatar. I'd never really thought about working in the Middle East but their email has sparked my interest. Therefore I'd like to research and compare different countries with the Middle East.
We are a family of 3, we have a 19 month old. We currently live in the UK. I've been an NHS midwife for 10 years and I'm very experienced in the intrapartum setting, both delivery suite and midwife led unit.
Any advice about working and living in the Middle East would be appreciated.
Thanks Kate

Rate it00

Rate it00

Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 16:48
I've been researching this recently, and I've seen a range of 15000-17000 for experienced and DHA licensed western midwives in private hospitals in Dubai - one posting set the upper range as 20,000. I saw these salaries posted on midwifery jobs on jobs.trovit.ae
Latest post on 12 June 2014 - 14:34
I worked in the health system in Abu Dhabi for 16 years with many midwives who sponsored their families. As a midwife you are automatically a senior nurse so have the salary and grade to allow you to sponsor. In fact even the junior staff nurses, mostly Filipino, earned enough to sponsor their husband and children and a lot of them did, This was in the government sector. ETA - I am not sure if the system in Dubai is the same. From what I have seen of the government hospitals the care is not midwife led so the midwife positions may not be as senior. I know that a few years ago they were advertising for senior western midwives in the government obstetric hospital here so it may have changed. The government hospitals in Abu Dhabi have a midwife led system with good packages for midwives. <em>edited by Genie on 12/06/2014</em>
Latest post on 11 June 2014 - 22:41
I know several women who sponsor husbands and kids...
Latest post on 11 June 2014 - 21:51
OKAY.... Forgive my inaccurate wording... But the sentiment is correct .... Except in specific circumstances which I doubt this perfectly well qualified woman fills, women cannot sponsor their husbands or children(unless divorced or a widow I'm guessing).... This is linked to the Local law
Latest post on 11 June 2014 - 05:59
Love the way some people are such experts in Sharia Law. A woman can sponsor her husband, when he finds a job he needs to transfer to his own employment visa. I'm sitting here laughing that some poster wrote down below that it is Sharia Law that a woman can't sponsor her husband in the UAE! I wonder where they get the information from. It's simply not true. Actually only women in very specific professions are allowed to sponsor their husbands. These include teachers, nurses and doctors. I'm guessing that midwives could potentially fall into the medical profession, but you would need to double-check. I was not allowed to sponsor my dh when I came here 10 years ago, despite earning a good salary. Things may have changed since, but men and women are far from equal in terms of their ability to sponsor. I am not saying that the sponsorship laws aren't true. I was only laughing because someone said that it is Sharia Law. Sharia Law covers many aspects, but it makes no mention of UAE sponsorship regulations...
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 22:40
Love the way some people are such experts in Sharia Law. A woman can sponsor her husband, when he finds a job he needs to transfer to his own employment visa. I'm sitting here laughing that some poster wrote down below that it is Sharia Law that a woman can't sponsor her husband in the UAE! I wonder where they get the information from. It's simply not true. Actually only women in very specific professions are allowed to sponsor their husbands. These include teachers, nurses and doctors. I'm guessing that midwives could potentially fall into the medical profession, but you would need to double-check. I was not allowed to sponsor my dh when I came here 10 years ago, despite earning a good salary. Things may have changed since, but men and women are far from equal in terms of their ability to sponsor. You also have to have a University Degree or equivalent to sponsor husband and children. We've just had friends who had to go back as they came out for wife's job but as she didn't have a degree she couldn't sponsor the family. Despite earning well above minimum salary requirements and having a management position in a large company here. <em>edited by starsouthern on 10/06/2014</em>
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 22:28
Love the way some people are such experts in Sharia Law. A woman can sponsor her husband, when he finds a job he needs to transfer to his own employment visa. I'm sitting here laughing that some poster wrote down below that it is Sharia Law that a woman can't sponsor her husband in the UAE! I wonder where they get the information from. It's simply not true. Actually only women in very specific professions are allowed to sponsor their husbands. These include teachers, nurses and doctors. I'm guessing that midwives could potentially fall into the medical profession, but you would need to double-check. I was not allowed to sponsor my dh when I came here 10 years ago, despite earning a good salary. Things may have changed since, but men and women are far from equal in terms of their ability to sponsor.
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 22:17
Hi everyone I'm just after information and advice about what it's like to work as a midwife in Dubai? I've been approached by a recruiting agent about a job in Doha, Qatar. I'd never really thought about working in the Middle East but their email has sparked my interest. Therefore I'd like to research and compare different countries with the Middle East. We are a family of 3, we have a 19 month old. We currently live in the UK. I've been an NHS midwife for 10 years and I'm very experienced in the intrapartum setting, both delivery suite and midwife led unit. Any advice about working and living in the Middle East would be appreciated. Thanks Kate Hi Im working as a Midwife here in Dubai, we are also recruiting ,If I post my email can you take it, then I can remove it .....thanks Rate it00 Rate it00
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 22:10
Hi everyone I'm just after information and advice about what it's like to work as a midwife in Dubai? I've been approached by a recruiting agent about a job in Doha, Qatar. I'd never really thought about working in the Middle East but their email has sparked my interest. Therefore I'd like to research and compare different countries with the Middle East. We are a family of 3, we have a 19 month old. We currently live in the UK. I've been an NHS midwife for 10 years and I'm very experienced in the intrapartum setting, both delivery suite and midwife led unit. Any advice about working and living in the Middle East would be appreciated. Thanks Kate Rate it00 Rate it00
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 22:09
Love the way some people are such experts in Sharia Law. A woman can sponsor her husband, when he finds a job he needs to transfer to his own employment visa. I'm sitting here laughing that some poster wrote down below that it is Sharia Law that a woman can't sponsor her husband in the UAE! I wonder where they get the information from. It's simply not true.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 19:50
Love the way some people are such experts in Sharia Law. A woman can sponsor her husband, when he finds a job he needs to transfer to his own employment visa. I'm sitting here laughing that some poster wrote down below that it is Sharia Law that a woman can't sponsor her husband in the UAE! I wonder where they get the information from. It's simply not true.
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 19:27
Love the way some people are such experts in Sharia Law. A woman can sponsor her husband, when he finds a job he needs to transfer to his own employment visa. I'm sitting here laughing that some poster wrote down below that it is Sharia Law that a woman can't sponsor her husband in the UAE!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 18:43
Love the way some people are such experts in Sharia Law. A woman can sponsor her husband, when he finds a job he needs to transfer to his own employment visa.
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 18:30
Yes you can sponsor your husband and child - my employer just moved someone here who was exactly in that position. I don't know about working in Dubai as a midwife but I know the hospitals in Abu Dhabi employ a vast amount of British Midwives although I think she felt that most of the women giving birth had far more respect for the doctors than the midwife. I think she felt she was undermined by the doctors at times and felt her skills were not used to the full. Saying that she had a fab time, went off to some exotic countries as well as saved a little nest egg :)
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 15:06
I don't know anything about being a midwife, but you can sponsor your husband and/or child.
Latest post on 10 June 2014 - 14:55
Hi, we just moved and are in totally different jobs but so can't help you on the midwife thing but you have to bear in mind that as a woman you cannot sponsor you husband or child, I know that sounds bizarre but it's Sharia law and only in exceptional circumstances can you do this. It's not necessarily an issue, you husbands and child will come on visit visa's and will need to do visa runs to Oman once a month until your husband gets a job, he would then apply for residency for your child. It's not actually as complicated as it sounds but there is a bit of bureaucracy here that you wouldn't be used to. I would recommend the move though for quality of life. It's very multicultural and surprisingly liberal. if you are both professionals you will live very comfortably and it really is a great place for a family, I have a 3 and 1 year old and we moved a few months back. Do a lot of research on start up costs though as things like rent have to be paid in fail up front for the year as do other childcare costs etc. it's just the way it works. Good luck.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY