Girly Question | ExpatWoman.com

Girly Question

Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 10:57

If you had good strong nails, but were going on holiday for 2 1/2 weeks and wanted a nail polish that lasts, would you use a gel - or will it destroy your nails?

I've never used gel before - so nervous about it destroying my nails.

Any advice appreciated?

TIA

Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 13:57
Bio sculpture gel is more similar to shellac and Gellish is it is a 'soft gel' and needs soaking off and replacing every time. Hard gels such as brissa gel are used for people who have weaker nails and need more support. If done correctly, shellac Gellish bio sculpture and hard gel should all last between 2-3 weeks wi no lifting or peeling
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 13:51
Do bio scuplture gel nails lift at the edges like acrylics? I have been wearing them for a year but constantly have to apply cuticle oil. Do you get refills or are they replaced every 3 weeks (or however long they last) Also any idea of prices? edited by liinsh on 09/07/2014 I've never had problems with my nails whilst using Biosculpture Gel. I usually have mine done every two or three weeks. There is no refil, they soak off the old gel and replace with new everytime. I still use cuticle oil / moisturiser but i don't think you need as much as when you have acrylics but everyone is different. This link is from their website but its currently being updated so I'm not sure if the menu and prices are up to date. http://www.thenailspa.com/TNS_menu.pdf
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 12:00
Do bio scuplture gel nails lift at the edges like acrylics? I have been wearing them for a year but constantly have to apply cuticle oil. Do you get refills or are they replaced every 3 weeks (or however long they last) Also any idea of prices? <em>edited by liinsh on 09/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 10:15
Thanks. I've obviously walked past the one at Meadows without even noticing it.
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 10:11
OK then as everyone seems to be recommending BioSculpture Gel :) How much and where can I get it done please? I need something that will last at least three weeks as I will be incapacitated for roughly this length of time. edited by Geordie expat on 09/07/2014 The Nail Spa use Biosculpture Gel. I'm not sure which location would suit you but this link should show all of the locations. http://www.thenailspa.com/maps.pdf Sorry I dont remember the price. I've been using The Nail Spa for year, they are a little more expensive but I find the quality and service much better than other salons so don't mind paying a little extra. I don't think you will have any issues with it lasting 3 weeks and you can always add another clear top coat after 2 weeks to make them shiney again. <em>edited by Yorky on 09/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 10:00
OK then as everyone seems to be recommending BioSculpture Gel :) How much and where can I get it done please? I need something that will last at least three weeks as I will be incapacitated for roughly this length of time. <em>edited by Geordie expat on 09/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 09:58
Biosculpture gel is much kinder to your nails. I use it all the time and my nails are in very good condition. When I used Gellish I had to have regular breaks as it made my nails very thin. I have used BioSculpture Gel for 11 years and I'd never be without it. It lasts 3 weeks for me and I have it soaked off completely (never filed, just the minimal scrape with the tool they use to clean up) Gelish never lasted with me when I tried it. I prefer to pay the little bit extra and know that I'll have no problems for three weeks.
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 19:32
Biosculpture gel is much kinder to your nails. I use it all the time and my nails are in very good condition. When I used Gellish I had to have regular breaks as it made my nails very thin.
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 17:29
I use Gellish off and on. If you keep doing it back to back it can thin the nails but if you rest them then it's fine Actually I don't recommend french or any pale colour because what happens is by the 2nd week there are tiny cracks in the polish. On the dark colours you would never know but on the light ones, the tiny cracks get dirt in and show up (a bit)
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 14:22
Used Acrylic and Gel for years in the UK Came here and have gellish now. My nails are fine, not thin, I can get 3 weeks out of my gellish manicure. Have always used Tips and Toes and have never had any problems with peeling etc
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 12:49
I've tried shellac once - and that was, hopefully, the last time! But I found OPI polishes very good and long lasting (none of the other brands lasted as long as OPI on me as I use water all the time)
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 12:07
Biosculpture gel will not destroy your nails. They have it at the Nail Spa. I find very few salons use it. The product is originally from South Africa. The main reason is because when they remove it, they soak off 90% off the gel and only file a little bit to get it all off. Been there, done that and other gel nails has made my nails paper thin in the past mostly because of the filing when they remove it. The biosculpture is brilliant, stays chipped free for 3 weeks and actually makes my nails stronger and very hard. I have had it done a few years now with the same therapist so that may be a factor too as she is excellent but then so is most of the Nail Spa ladies. I use the one at Ibn Battuta. I second this and have this done at the Dubai mall branch. Wouldn't go anywhere else and find the biogel much less damaging than gelish. I use any girl there as they're all excellent.
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:58
A gel will destroy your nails, I had lovely long nails then had gelish manicure done before my holiday 2 weeks ago, just got back and after peeling it all off my nails are really soft and have to cut them down. They will soon grow back though, if you don't mind re-growing them once your back then I'd say go for it as it's worth it as stays on for so long! They won't ruin your nails in the long run unless you have them done all the time, as a one off its fine :) Peeling it off? Of coz it will ruin your nails. Gel needs to be soaked off, not peeled off!!! OP, no if you do it once or twice it will not ruin your nails. Don't go for hard gel, go for gelish. But soak it off if you want to remove it, don't peel it off like some people! Yes peeled off because they started to come off on there own - it's not the end of the world I'm sure I'll live!
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:34
True, even with gel polish you need someone who knows what they're doing, otherwise it will just peel off! I have only 2 ladies in Dubai that I go to, Zenny, she is at Lorita salon in sky court towers near outlet mall and the other one is Mariam at Nadia beauty style on sheikh zayed road! I'm quite particular so I don't mind the drive, at least I know my nails will look gorgeous and it won't peel off!! I've been using the one on sheikh zayed and as a bonus for the last year they've been doing groupon vouchers for 89aed, plus 50 for removal. So I think it's quite a bargain for gelish mani and pedi for 140aed
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:18
I went from doing nail extensions to gel polish and my nails are very strong and healthy. I even do a gelish french manicure and most times people think I have nail extensions on. I highly recommend gel - however you need a very good person to apply it and ensure that it lasts long. I once experienced a lady who laid the nail polish on too thick and the polish started to peel within a week. Never used her again. Also key to good nails is following the product instruction, don't peel it off, visit your salon and have the lady remove it for you and put the treatment etc. Love it!
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:10
In fact, I have not been without gel on my nails for the past 3 years. I had very weak nails and it's now in a much better condition since I started using gelish/shellac! I change the gel every 2 weeks and replace it straight away with a new layer. I had endless problems in the beginning when I used the hard gel, it ruined my nails totally from all the filing etc. But for the past 3 years no issues with gelish! Ditto!
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:09
I'm too mean to pay the extra for Shellac every time ;)
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:09
Biosculpture gel will not destroy your nails. They have it at the Nail Spa. I find very few salons use it. The product is originally from South Africa. The main reason is because when they remove it, they soak off 90% off the gel and only file a little bit to get it all off. Been there, done that and other gel nails has made my nails paper thin in the past mostly because of the filing when they remove it. The biosculpture is brilliant, stays chipped free for 3 weeks and actually makes my nails stronger and very hard. I have had it done a few years now with the same therapist so that may be a factor too as she is excellent but then so is most of the Nail Spa ladies. I use the one at Ibn Battuta.
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:08
GE - ah ok that is good! Thanks Avdm159 - that is reassuring!
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:08
In fact, I have not been without gel on my nails for the past 3 years. I had very weak nails and it's now in a much better condition since I started using gelish/shellac! I change the gel every 2 weeks and replace it straight away with a new layer. I had endless problems in the beginning when I used the hard gel, it ruined my nails totally from all the filing etc. But for the past 3 years no issues with gelish!
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:05
Hi Both, Yep I am happy to leave them nail polish free for a few weeks after I get back no problem. I normally have to do that anyways, as they tend to go a bit yellow if polish left on for too long! Lazy Bones :) But so long as they go back to normal eventually! (sooner rather than later) You don't need to leave them polish free, just have an ordinary polish put on.
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:05
A gel will destroy your nails, I had lovely long nails then had gelish manicure done before my holiday 2 weeks ago, just got back and after peeling it all off my nails are really soft and have to cut them down. They will soon grow back though, if you don't mind re-growing them once your back then I'd say go for it as it's worth it as stays on for so long! They won't ruin your nails in the long run unless you have them done all the time, as a one off its fine :) Peeling it off? Of coz it will ruin your nails. Gel needs to be soaked off, not peeled off!!! OP, no if you do it once or twice it will not ruin your nails. Don't go for hard gel, go for gelish. But soak it off if you want to remove it, don't peel it off like some people!
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:04
Hi Both, Yep I am happy to leave them nail polish free for a few weeks after I get back no problem. I normally have to do that anyways, as they tend to go a bit yellow if polish left on for too long! Lazy Bones :) But so long as they go back to normal eventually! (sooner rather than later)
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:01
I always go for Gelish or Shellac before my hols. No chipping and it lasts. Personally I prefer Shellac, not sure if there is actually any difference and I always have it removed properly. Never try and peel it off myself. As long as you give your nails a rest after two to three weeks no issues at all. It has the opposite effect on mine. Gives them a chance to grow without splitting and breaking. edited by Geordie expat on 07/07/2014 <em>edited by Geordie expat on 07/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:01
A gel will destroy your nails, I had lovely long nails then had gelish manicure done before my holiday 2 weeks ago, just got back and after peeling it all off my nails are really soft and have to cut them down. They will soon grow back though, if you don't mind re-growing them once your back then I'd say go for it as it's worth it as stays on for so long! They won't ruin your nails in the long run unless you have them done all the time, as a one off its fine :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY