Do you have dates in your garden [the fruit, not the occasion!]? | ExpatWoman.com

Do you have dates in your garden [the fruit, not the occasion!]?

Latest post on 31 July 2014 - 20:38
pmd,maybe ladyB is out of town, I can give you a bag of mine - post your email or number!
Latest post on 31 July 2014 - 18:15
Hey, I never got your text. I could pop in Saturday to collect the dates. Let me know! Hi PMD, It wasn't me that was texting you, I think it was LadyB :) Oh sorry, I got confused!
Latest post on 31 July 2014 - 16:39
Hi Sue, Well - ours were super dusty so I left them all soaking overnight to find that the water had fermented in the morning - I rinsed again and left them drying out but am not sure what the answer is, I think they are so soft that rinsing them makes them fall apart a bit! Am not sure what moist wiping is but it sounds cumbersome and would have taken hours with ours. As it is it took a looong time picking each one off the twigs. (I think I am very much over being a date-farmer). :D Thanks Tattle - will try rinsing without soaking and see what happens.....!
Latest post on 31 July 2014 - 16:01
Hey, I never got your text. I could pop in Saturday to collect the dates. Let me know! Hi PMD, It wasn't me that was texting you, I think it was LadyB :)
Latest post on 31 July 2014 - 15:59
Hi Sue, Well - ours were super dusty so I left them all soaking overnight to find that the water had fermented in the morning - I rinsed again and left them drying out but am not sure what the answer is, I think they are so soft that rinsing them makes them fall apart a bit! Am not sure what moist wiping is but it sounds cumbersome and would have taken hours with ours. As it is it took a looong time picking each one off the twigs. (I think I am very much over being a date-farmer). :D
Latest post on 31 July 2014 - 12:49
Can anyone advise on cleaning dates please? Some have referred to "moist wiping", but I have hundreds to do! Can they just be rinsed in a colander and drained before storage?
Latest post on 31 July 2014 - 12:48
Tkoshy, I can spare a wee bag of unripe ones if you want to put up your email ad! Hey, I never got your text. I could pop in Saturday to collect the dates. Let me know!
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 10:55
TB, you have mail. Thank you.
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 05:48
Hi, Got it!
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 00:22
Tkoshy, I can spare a wee bag of unripe ones if you want to put up your email ad! Thank you so much TB, my email . Thanks again. <em>edited by tkoshy on 30/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 29 July 2014 - 18:57
Tkoshy, I can spare a wee bag of unripe ones if you want to put up your email ad!
Latest post on 29 July 2014 - 18:44
Fellow-daters If you are making spicy date pickle, I have just used this recipe and the pickle has a very bitter aftertaste. The amount of cumin seeds/mustard seeds seemed really high so I only used a fraction of what it said, but it is still very bitter. (Even when I use cumin/mustard seeds in Dal they also seem bitter, is it my seeds?!) http://www.erivumpuliyumm.com/2012/12/dates-pickle-eenthappazham-achar.html
Latest post on 26 July 2014 - 18:43
Hey, hey: I have your number written down -- so you can delete it if you want -- and I'll text you first chance I get tomorrow or Sunday. :) Perfect! I'll be looking fwd to your text!
Latest post on 26 July 2014 - 06:01
I haven't had time to start anything yet...eek. Has anyone made anything yet?
Latest post on 25 July 2014 - 21:06
Hey, hey: I have your number written down -- so you can delete it if you want -- and I'll text you first chance I get tomorrow or Sunday. :)
Latest post on 25 July 2014 - 09:16
Our gardener puts our dates in mesh 'at the right time of the year' and around about now, we're presented with great hacked-off branches of gorgeous brown fruit that I sort, moist-wipe and store for future use. I freeze some, I dry-pack some, I give a lot away ... and I have lots of recipes too. Question: what do other people do with their dates after they've been picked? Am I doing the right thing in terms of storage and preparation for use? Any info would be lovely. I have several huge branches with which I have to 'deal' and more to come from our trees in the next week or two. TIA. :) Want to give some away??? I am looking for dates to make date jam but don't want to do it with store bought ones. I can give you jam in return ;) Sure! How many pounds do you need? No need to 'repay the favour' [unless you really really really want to!'> ... am happy to share the bounty. Let me know. :) I don't know... a few...Thank you so much, I am sure I really, really would like to repay the favor! edited by pmd on 08/07/2014 Hi pmd! Dates are ready. Sorry for the delay -- our gardener wanted to leave some of the big bunches for just a bit longer! -- but I now have several pounds of lovely little beauties for you, whenever you're ready for them. I've wiped them and packed them, so all we need to do is set up a time for the handover. I'm not on EW very often but will try to keep a look-out for your reply. :)
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 07:19
Following thread with interest. I have just inspected mine and they are at the green-turning-orange stage. I'll be making: - spicy date pickle thing that you can get in the Bur Dubai choitrams (think it's locally made and scrumptious) - sticky toffee pudding -date jam -some sort of christmas chutney thing (will it keep from now until then??) Actually, some of the chutney recipes recommend a good 2-3 month 'sitting time' with the acknowledgment that -- unopened -- said chutneys last a lot longer. So yes, making jarred stuff now would be perfect. Great ideas! Thank you. I'm planning on making a sticky toffee pud/cake this very weekend actually: great minds think alike. The pudding itself is lush enough, but it's the buttery caramel sauce which really packs a punch. I once made this particular recipe for a dinner party and took the remains into work for morning tea; it went down a treat. The sauce though? Well, some colleagues decided it would be a GREAT idea to eat the extremely moreish but rich leftover caramel goo directly from paper cups after all the cake had gone ... and I think one of them was actually hallucinating from the sugar high. :D
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 07:14
Ladybee, if you have any yellow, unripe ones , I'd love to buy some. TB, my mum makes that spicy date pickle - yellow dates, garlic and birds eye chilli. Slightly sweet, crunchy and spicy.Very, very popular in our house. Edited to add a recipe that I've tried and love: [url=http://www.thekitchn.com/party-appetizer-recipe-bacon-wrapped-stuffed-dates-recipes-from-the-kitchn-43591'>Bacon wrapped Dates stuffed with almonds[/url'> - I substitute toasted pine nuts or cheese for almonds. edited by tkoshy on 09/07/2014 Darn it, I've only got the 'gone-to-brown-sugar' types left, tkoshy ... but come next season, I will definitely keep you in mind. Promise. That pickle recipe sounds lovely! And the wrapped dates too. There are so many great ideas here: thank you. :)
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 07:13
Sure! How many pounds do you need? No need to 'repay the favour' [unless you really really really want to!'> ... am happy to share the bounty. Let me know. :) I don't know... a few...Thank you so much, I am sure I really, really would like to repay the favor! Aw! No worries. I'll drag this message back up around 'weekend'-time -- after I have a few more branches harvested -- and we'll arrange a handover. :)
Latest post on 09 July 2014 - 05:58
Ladybee, if you have any yellow, unripe ones , I'd love to buy some. TB, my mum makes that spicy date pickle - yellow dates, garlic and birds eye chilli. Slightly sweet, crunchy and spicy.Very, very popular in our house. Edited to add a recipe that I've tried and love: [url=http://www.thekitchn.com/party-appetizer-recipe-bacon-wrapped-stuffed-dates-recipes-from-the-kitchn-43591'>Bacon wrapped Dates stuffed with almonds[/url'> - I substitute toasted pine nuts or cheese for almonds. <em>edited by tkoshy on 09/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 17:01
Following thread with interest. I have just inspected mine and they are at the green-turning-orange stage. I'll be making: - spicy date pickle thing that you can get in the Bur Dubai choitrams (think it's locally made and scrumptious) - sticky toffee pudding -date jam -some sort of christmas chutney thing (will it keep from now until then??)
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 12:14
Our gardener puts our dates in mesh 'at the right time of the year' and around about now, we're presented with great hacked-off branches of gorgeous brown fruit that I sort, moist-wipe and store for future use. I freeze some, I dry-pack some, I give a lot away ... and I have lots of recipes too. Question: what do other people do with their dates after they've been picked? Am I doing the right thing in terms of storage and preparation for use? Any info would be lovely. I have several huge branches with which I have to 'deal' and more to come from our trees in the next week or two. TIA. :) Want to give some away??? I am looking for dates to make date jam but don't want to do it with store bought ones. I can give you jam in return ;) Sure! How many pounds do you need? No need to 'repay the favour' [unless you really really really want to!'> ... am happy to share the bounty. Let me know. :) I don't know... a few...Thank you so much, I am sure I really, really would like to repay the favor! <em>edited by pmd on 08/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 11:26
What a fa recipe! I adore Deliciouslyella. This brownie recipe with a tasty salted caramel sauce will be my mission for the weekend! Since you mentioned it......I love making the brownie recipe and pressing out to about 1cm thick in a tray or tin. Make the salted caramel and add 100g of melted cocoa butter when you blend it. Pour the caramel over the brownie, pop in the fridge until cool then top with dark melted chocolate. I make my own, melt 100g of cocoa butter and whisk in 50g of cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of syrup (I use either date, agave or maple). Set until firm in the fridge then slice in to squares. Yum. edited by Daza on 08/07/2014 That's millionaire's shortbread with a difference - please feel free to send a slice or two to me :)
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 11:20
What a fa recipe! I adore Deliciouslyella. This brownie recipe with a tasty salted caramel sauce will be my mission for the weekend! Since you mentioned it......I love making the brownie recipe and pressing out to about 1cm thick in a tray or tin. Make the salted caramel and add 100g of melted cocoa butter when you blend it. Pour the caramel over the brownie, pop in the fridge until cool then top with dark melted chocolate. I make my own, melt 100g of cocoa butter and whisk in 50g of cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of syrup (I use either date, agave or maple). Set until firm in the fridge then slice in to squares. Yum. <em>edited by Daza on 08/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 10:26
Our gardener puts our dates in mesh 'at the right time of the year' and around about now, we're presented with great hacked-off branches of gorgeous brown fruit that I sort, moist-wipe and store for future use. I freeze some, I dry-pack some, I give a lot away ... and I have lots of recipes too. Question: what do other people do with their dates after they've been picked? Am I doing the right thing in terms of storage and preparation for use? Any info would be lovely. I have several huge branches with which I have to 'deal' and more to come from our trees in the next week or two. TIA. :) Want to give some away??? I am looking for dates to make date jam but don't want to do it with store bought ones. I can give you jam in return ;) Sure! How many pounds do you need? No need to 'repay the favour' [unless you really really really want to!'> ... am happy to share the bounty. Let me know. :)
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 10:03
Our gardener puts our dates in mesh 'at the right time of the year' and around about now, we're presented with great hacked-off branches of gorgeous brown fruit that I sort, moist-wipe and store for future use. I freeze some, I dry-pack some, I give a lot away ... and I have lots of recipes too. Question: what do other people do with their dates after they've been picked? Am I doing the right thing in terms of storage and preparation for use? Any info would be lovely. I have several huge branches with which I have to 'deal' and more to come from our trees in the next week or two. TIA. :) Want to give some away??? I am looking for dates to make date jam but don't want to do it with store bought ones. I can give you jam in return ;)
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 09:45
Have a look at deliciouslyella.com she uses dates a lot in her recipes. One of my favourite date recipes is for raw brownies, seriously amazing. http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2011/04/the-raw-brownie-2/ Also, good call on the date caramel Izzy. Soak 2 cups of cashew nuts in water overnight. Drain, rinse and blend or process with 2 cups of fresh dates. Add 1/2 tsp of salt if you want salted caramel. Delish. It freezes well too. What a fa recipe! I adore Deliciouslyella. This brownie recipe with a tasty salted caramel sauce will be my mission for the weekend! Snap! Me too! :D
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 09:39
Have a look at deliciouslyella.com she uses dates a lot in her recipes. One of my favourite date recipes is for raw brownies, seriously amazing. http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2011/04/the-raw-brownie-2/ Also, good call on the date caramel Izzy. Soak 2 cups of cashew nuts in water overnight. Drain, rinse and blend or process with 2 cups of fresh dates. Add 1/2 tsp of salt if you want salted caramel. Delish. It freezes well too. What a fa recipe! I adore Deliciouslyella. This brownie recipe with a tasty salted caramel sauce will be my mission for the weekend!
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 09:34
Thanks, Londiamond and Daza !! Feeling inspired now! :) ETA: Am drooling over the caramel recipe you shared, Daza! Ta! . <em>edited by LadyBee on 08/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 08 July 2014 - 09:22
Have a look at deliciouslyella.com she uses dates a lot in her recipes. One of my favourite date recipes is for raw brownies, seriously amazing. http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2011/04/the-raw-brownie-2/ Also, good call on the date caramel Izzy. Soak 2 cups of cashew nuts in water overnight. Drain, rinse and blend or process with 2 cups of fresh dates. Add 1/2 tsp of salt if you want salted caramel. Delish. It freezes well too.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY