Which school? | ExpatWoman.com

Which school?

Latest post on 12 July 2014 - 19:03

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations on British curriculum primary schools in Doha. I have two boys age 5.5 and 3.75 years old. We hope to be moving next year and commence school in September 2015. My eldest has completed his first year at school in a nondenominational school in Ireland. He will need a place for year one and my youngest will be starting school for the first time.
All recommendations grateful

Latest post on 11 August 2014 - 01:25
All of the schools mentioned are good. If I had anything to add it would be: be super organised about deadlines. I nearly came a cropper because my chosen school said in Sept. Applications would close in January... Ha! Found out on the grapevine that they were to close in November because they were so swamped... A very lucky reminder to me not to be too British and expect that someone would have had the courtesy or foresight to call me and let me know of a major change in plan. Just be one step ahead and be comforted that you are not neurotic or a pain, and that everyone else is probably doing the same ie ringing admissions frequently... Also, you are right to remain optimistic, because no-one else will be that for you. I have had a real treat as I couldn't find my youngest a spot in pre-school. What a great, precious, fun year it has been for us. I know everyone has different circumstances, but my glass is half full as a result!
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 02:52
Tory and whereintheworld, Thank you both so much for your advice. I'm trying to keep optimistic re school places, and worry if necessary later!
Latest post on 25 July 2014 - 19:50
Does anyone know what the other 4 schools that were licensed are, in addition to the Finnish school? I can't seem to find that information anywhere
Latest post on 25 July 2014 - 17:33
Hi there, I just blogged about the schooling issue for the Telegraph. Hope this helps a little.. or at least, lets you know what you're up against! http://my.telegraph.co.uk/expat/victoriascott/10155673/new-schools-give-hope-to-parents-battling-for-places- in-qatar/ Very insightful , Tory. It would have made a huge difference to me would have had this information back before we moved to Qatar ( It just may have made me turn back ! ). It just bumbled along thinking because we were British and our then one child was tiny , there was no problem getting into the school of choice. It would be ever so helpful to able to waitlist at birth like in Dubai where we came from. <em>edited by Whereintheworld on 25/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 July 2014 - 13:59
Hi there, I just blogged about the schooling issue for the Telegraph. Hope this helps a little.. or at least, lets you know what you're up against! http://my.telegraph.co.uk/expat/victoriascott/10155673/new-schools-give-hope-to-parents-battling-for-places-in-qatar/
Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 17:57
Schooling in Doha begins at FS1 so children start in the year ( Sept 1st -Aug 31st ) that they turn 4.I think your youngest will be entering Reception in 2015 where there will be a smaller intake . Apply as soon as you can. Expect not to get your first choice and wait for sometime to get both boys in the same school.Once one is in the other will be on a priortity list if he fits the critera. The most difficult years to get places are Preschool and Reception and no school allows you to put their names down earlier than at an annual given time eg: Apply Jan for Sept Preschool intake . DESS is tight. Expect a two -three year wait for early years even with a British Passport . DC and DBS have bigger intakes and two campuses each so there is more chance.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 16:09
Thank you so much, I have been looking at all the school websites and without some guidance from parents living in Doha I felt totally at a loss. I was very impressed with what I've read about DESS and DBS. Fingers crossed for a place now!
Latest post on 15 July 2014 - 22:19
DESS, DC, DBS as mentioned, Park House English School - all have good reputations and with good reason. Unless all the schools that the SEC have promised materialise I would recommend applying to as many as you can, as soon as applications open and you are able to. Also depends on your budget to some extent as the fees can be crippling. It's good if you want to live somewhere like Al Wakra as there are about 3 new schools opening there but that's not so good if you live in central Doha.
Latest post on 15 July 2014 - 21:25
Have heard lots of recommendations for DESS and doha college. I am also personally impressed with Doha British School. But I would suggest you look around and chose one that suits your kids.