WHERE TO LIVE IN DUBAI WITH DOGS????? | ExpatWoman.com

WHERE TO LIVE IN DUBAI WITH DOGS?????

Latest post on 13 July 2014 - 18:51

Hi,

I. Will probably move to dubai mid august and will be looking to rent an apartment for long term.

I have 2 big dogs and they will join after couple of months.

In which area is it likely to find a dog friendly apartment, not expensive?? ( budget 55000/year)

Thank you for all kind of info or advice

Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 00:15
Thank you. On Dubizzle there is an option for PETS ALLOWED search, and most apartments with pets allowed are at International City or JVC. I will see what is available once I get there and will take my decision accordingly.
Latest post on 19 July 2014 - 05:47
Hi ValineC and welcome to this forum. You mentioned big dogs, any specific breed? There is a law in Dubai where dogs like the GSD, Rottweiler (BSL type dogs) are not allowed to live in apartments in this city, not because they are aggressive but because they need space. While there are people who do own these types of dogs and do live in apartments, it all depends on one's landlord and if the building management permits it. Living with dogs in an apartment is absolutely doable as long as the dog gets the required exercise. There are many daycare facilities in Dubai where you can drop your dogs before work and pick them in the evening. This way they are supervised, socialized and stimulated. For a budget like AED 55K you will find it difficult to find a place in Dubai but do register yourself at [b'>Nakheel's 'The gardens'[/b'>. It's best to look at the northern emirates where you would be able to find a great apartment for this budget. Make sure, where ever you do take an apartment that your landlord specifies that dogs are allowed in that apartment and it's mentioned in your tenancy contract. This will safe guard you from hassles in the future. There are many dog owners who have had to move out of Dubai because of the rising rents but have found villas and apartments in the northern emirates which allow dogs. The commute is doable as thousand do it everyday. All the best. Actually dogs are not permitted at the Gardens, there are some people who keep dogs living there but they are breaking the term of their leases, so you would be running a risk if you got an apartment in The Gardens. I happen to know that from a friend that it only takes one neigbour to report you and you would be obliged to get rid of the dogs or move out. In any case waiting lists for gardens apartments are pretty huge and I think rents begin at over 55k pa. So it would probably not suit you anyway. This article may help, although its not recent and things have changed in the Marina, most of the other areas suggested as dog friendly still are as far as I know. http://gulfnews.com/business/property/uae/a-pick-of-the-best-paw-friendly-areas-in-dubai-1.889126 <em>edited by Di@DXB on 19/07/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 18 July 2014 - 19:30
Thank you all for your replies. My dogs are german sheperd like dogs, they are used to living in an apartment but obvioulsly it isnt small and got two balconies and we spend lot of time outside playing and running with them. They have been with us since many years, so it is not an option to leave them behind, however they will join only if i find a proper solution, otherwise they will stay with my husband and i will move back after couple of.months of work. However, you mentioned living outside dubai and commute, where would be the best place and what transportation options are there?? If you opt to live in Sharjah, which is where most people live who want lowers rents, you can add another 2,5 to 3 hours to your day as that is how long you will probably commute. You will need a car, although there are public transport options, they are limited. The different emirates are not really linked properly. There are busses but they take forever.
Latest post on 18 July 2014 - 18:02
I agree with lady bee, If you have an option not bringing your dogs here, then DON'T I have small dogs too but its just getting harder to have a dog here. Today an article was printed on the front page of 7days paper, dogs are being forbiden to walk in neighborhoods that they used to be welcome there. Yes they are daycares but it gets very expensive. In most communities dogs are not welcomed but tolerated...
Latest post on 18 July 2014 - 13:04
Thank you all for your replies. My dogs are german sheperd like dogs, they are used to living in an apartment but obvioulsly it isnt small and got two balconies and we spend lot of time outside playing and running with them. They have been with us since many years, so it is not an option to leave them behind, however they will join only if i find a proper solution, otherwise they will stay with my husband and i will move back after couple of.months of work. However, you mentioned living outside dubai and commute, where would be the best place and what transportation options are there?? you could get a cheaper accommodation in Sharjah or Ajman, small villa with garden. But commute time would be long, at least an hour! You could put a dog flap in the door so your dogs could come in and out whenever they need.
Latest post on 18 July 2014 - 13:01
Thank you all for your replies. My dogs are german sheperd like dogs, they are used to living in an apartment but obvioulsly it isnt small and got two balconies and we spend lot of time outside playing and running with them. They have been with us since many years, so it is not an option to leave them behind, however they will join only if i find a proper solution, otherwise they will stay with my husband and i will move back after couple of.months of work. However, you mentioned living outside dubai and commute, where would be the best place and what transportation options are there??
Latest post on 14 July 2014 - 14:41
I agree with lady bee, If you have an option not bringing your dogs here, then DON'T I have small dogs too but its just getting harder to have a dog here. Today an article was printed on the front page of 7days paper, dogs are being forbiden to walk in neighborhoods that they used to be welcome there. Yes they are daycares but it gets very expensive.
Latest post on 14 July 2014 - 14:04
I've a friend in Motor city and i've seen lots of people walking their dogs around there. Not sure of what the rents are like but, it might be worth checking out! Good luck!
Latest post on 14 July 2014 - 12:33
Hi ValineC and welcome to this forum. You mentioned big dogs, any specific breed? There is a law in Dubai where dogs like the GSD, Rottweiler (BSL type dogs) are not allowed to live in apartments in this city, not because they are aggressive but because they need space. While there are people who do own these types of dogs and do live in apartments, it all depends on one's landlord and if the building management permits it. Living with dogs in an apartment is absolutely doable as long as the dog gets the required exercise. There are many daycare facilities in Dubai where you can drop your dogs before work and pick them in the evening. This way they are supervised, socialized and stimulated. For a budget like AED 55K you will find it difficult to find a place in Dubai but do register yourself at Nakheel's 'The gardens'. It's best to look at the northern emirates where you would be able to find a great apartment for this budget. Make sure, where ever you do take an apartment that your landlord specifies that dogs are allowed in that apartment and it's mentioned in your tenancy contract. This will safe guard you from hassles in the future. There are many dog owners who have had to move out of Dubai because of the rising rents but have found villas and apartments in the northern emirates which allow dogs. The commute is doable as thousand do it everyday. All the best.
Latest post on 14 July 2014 - 07:20
Just to add: finding a 'dog friendly' apartment may also be an issue. Unless the building management -- and Landlord -- approve of the arrangement (and there are many apartment buildings which don't permit dogs) your choice of rental spaces is severely reduced. And not all apartments/studios have balconies so the dogs would be even more trapped. Sorry. :(
Latest post on 14 July 2014 - 07:13
I'm trying not to be judgmental, but please ... please don't bring your two big dogs to Dubai and hope that they can adjust to living in a 55K-priced apartment. They will suffer; you will suffer. If you are working full-time, your dogs will be trapped inside without any chance to stretch their legs during the day and nowhere to go. Bored, lonely and unhappy dogs will act up and can have a tendency to make their own 'fun' at home -- destroying furniture etc -- or, even worse: may self harm (chewing their paws to the point of horrible infection, losing their appetite, hair, will to live). If they haven't been raised in a small environment, these are not uncommon reactions. I think it's commendable that you want to bring your pets with you, but think of how they will cope in what will essentially be a studio or a very tiny 1-bed space. Living outside the emirate -- as someone else suggested -- may be a better option, but you will have to commute (and it's not pleasant) and that also means your dogs will be left alone for even longer days than if you were working 10 minutes from home. The last thing you want to do is import your beloved pets and be unable to cope. There are so many abandoned animals out here, it would be mortifying if your dogs were yet another statistic. Good luck. Sorry to be so blunt. . <em>edited by LadyBee on 14/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 July 2014 - 20:33
for your budget of 55000 aed/ year you can get one bed in JVC, Dubailand, International City, Silicon Oasis. Have a look on Dubizzle. I do not recommend keeping two large dogs in small apartment, but I hope you will have some one to look after them during a day or at least have a dog sitter.
Latest post on 13 July 2014 - 20:27
I think you can find something for your budget in Mirdiff, Warqaa side
Latest post on 13 July 2014 - 19:14
I cannot offer any such rentals but consider another Emirate if you can, say Sharjah or Ajman. The rents are cheaper and your budget will be very, very tight for Dubai, especially with two LARGE dogs as you would not be able to fit into a studio which I am afraid is all I ano imagine you will get for this budget in Dubai.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY