Moving to Abu Dhabi | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Latest post on 18 July 2014 - 16:08

Hi ladies,

My name is Hasnae, i'm 27 years old and from the Netherlands. In september we're moving to AD. I will be 7 months pregnant when we arrive.

I would like your advice/help/information about the healthcare in AD and specially suggestions where to give birth. We don't know yet where we going to live. The first month we will stay at a hotel.

Advice of finding a good nanny is also appreciated. We have a beautiful 3 years old daughter and i'm wondering what to do when i need to give birth (middle of the night for example) and there's no one around who can stay with her. And there are so many many other questions. But let start with this.

I hope to hear from you.

Latest post on 01 August 2014 - 00:16
Hi Hasnae Firstly you want to make sure you have health insurance in place ASAP - your husbands employer will arrange this. Depending on the insurance company you can choose which hospital to go to for ante natal and delivery care. The main maternity hospital is Corniche in the city - this is a government hospital, it has a good reputation for maternity care and attracts doctors and midwives from overseas to work here - however, they don't accept all insurance cards and won't accept cash payments now - so you have to have one of the pre approved insurance companies' plans. The administration and organisation is chaotic but the health care is generally accepted to be the best for both mum and baby in Abu Dhabi, if not the UAE. Many people also use Al Noor Hospital - it is a private hospital- there is one in the city (Khalifa St) and another on Airport Road (further out of the city centre), I have heard good and bad as with most things, but I have personally been looked after by Dr Ahmed Abdel Haq and highly recommend him if you do end up going here. He worked in the UK and Ireland for a long time and had similar ideas and expectations about care that I did. Regarding a nanny - there are lots of Facebook forums, especially if you know where you will be living you can go on to those community Facebook pages and often you see people looking for work, families helping their nanny find a new employer if they are leaving etc. I think there is a UAE Housemaids page ( or something similar). I haven't done it myself, but from friends who have, I understand it can be a lengthy process just finding the right person, let alone the visa paperwork and procedures which will ensue - we are talking weeks and even months for this if there are any complications . With regards your daughter - my best advice would be to get family out to visit around the time of the birth - you will have peace of mind at least knowing she is happy and with people who she knows. Next best thing would be as soon as you know where you are living let us know and we can advise you where to meet other mums and toddlers and I am sure one of the other mums would help you out. Hope this helps somewhat. Jackie