20 reasons not to move to Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

20 reasons not to move to Dubai

Latest post on 21 July 2014 - 11:52

From someone that doesn't seem to have lived here long enough:

http://www.escapeartist.com/live/2014/03/18/20-reasons-not-to-move-to-du...

Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 02:16
I'm in Uk at Present and can think instantly of 20 reasons why I love Dubai. Has any one created a more positive list of 20 reasons why the UAE is great? I am not a Dubai lover and already have an exit strategy but there are a few good things: 1) Being able to eat out pork free and buy pork free meats. Beef bacon, beef sausages (which are not in pork skins), lasagne/bolognese without pork in it, turkey/beef ham on pizza etc. 2) Decent snow dome, unfortunately it has some down right dangerous skiers in it and zero ski patrol but if you're a strong skier that can avoid such dangers (or take them out) it's good. 3) Cheap petrol. 4) Meat imported from Australia and NZ. Sorry UK but Australian beef and NZ lamb rules. (Although have recently discovered some great meat from the UK online butcher Donald Russell). 5) Climate conducive to grow some fruits such as mango, pineapple and dates for yourself. 6) Dates. 7) Variety of cars. It's kind of fun (as a Brit) to have the choice of buying a huge Cadillac! 8) Kids. Restaurants are normally welcoming of kids in Dubai. The UK often seems to hate kids. (Of course if only every resident could control their kids it would make for a perfect situation!)
Latest post on 29 July 2014 - 15:27
I won't address every question in your post because I don't understand it all. Anyway, I have never seen or met such a variety of people as here and I have lived in and been to many big cities across three different continents. That is only my experience...
Latest post on 29 July 2014 - 15:08
I guess it depends on how you see things. A lot of people keep their national dress here whereas it would not be tolerated elsewhere. Also, lots of men walk around wearing makeup here. In my home country, that would be sure to raise eyebrows. I have met Jews living in this country with no issues... Really? Which synagogue do they go to and where do they shop for kosher food? I've never seen someone in traditional hasidic dress in Dubai or even sporting a yarmulke? Also with regard to dress then skimpy dress is not tolerated here. Frankly I'm pleased about that, I'm all against people dressing up like they're for sale. I myself only ever wear jeans/trousers and t-shirts/sweaters anywhere except the beach/pool and gym. But I was slightly peeved off when pregnant and a security guard had a fit because my t-shirt had ridden up slightly when I was sitting in a chair and it was showing a cm of flesh on my back, (visible only if you walked directly past when I leaned forward and if you peered over - I was yet to get some larger maternity clothes). And weren't some people fined and deported for cross dressing earlier this year? Finally what does wearing makeup have to do with anything? Is this to do with gays? Do gay people all wear makeup? What about emo kids? Are they all gay? I'm confused? Dubai may turn a blind eye to many of these things but it does not mean it is legal, they may be more liberal than other countries in the region but cannot be compared to many other places in Europe where you can be openly gay, cross dress etc. These things to my knowledge are illegal in Dubai. It's not a criticism, I wouldn't expect any religious country to be liberal in this way, but it cannot be stated as an accolade either. Whilst there are many great things about Dubai, I cannot agree that tolerance for all religions and ways of life is one of them. <em>edited by RuthM on 29/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 29 July 2014 - 08:45
I guess it depends on how you see things. A lot of people keep their national dress here whereas it would not be tolerated elsewhere. Also, lots of men walk around wearing makeup here. In my home country, that would be sure to raise eyebrows. I have met Jews living in this country with no issues... What land is this you speak of?
Latest post on 29 July 2014 - 07:57
I guess it depends on how you see things. A lot of people keep their national dress here whereas it would not be tolerated elsewhere. Also, lots of men walk around wearing makeup here. In my home country, that would be sure to raise eyebrows. I have met Jews living in this country with no issues...
Latest post on 29 July 2014 - 00:22
I'm in Uk at Present and can think instantly of 20 reasons why I love Dubai. Has any one created a more positive list of 20 reasons why the UAE is great? 4. Tolerance for all religions and ways of life I'm not entirely sure about this one, certainly as a comparison to London for example I'd say definitely not. There are some religions/ways of life which you would simply not put on a form in Dubai. Atheism and Agnostic (not available as far as I'm aware) and Jewish. Also you may not wish to disclose to authorities if you are gay.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 22:26
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/health/sick-and-dying-mother-of-five-faces-pleads-for-mercy-1.1362596 For the life of me i cannot imagine how living here with five daughters is cheaper than Pakistan... Most likely because the father won't find a job that allows him to support his family at all. There is a reason people move here.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 22:24
1. Papparoti :) 2. Being able to be out at night as a woman and not being harassed 3. Being able to have a nice meal in a dry restaurant 4. The way the community steps up when people need help 5. Dubai is a lot cleaner than other big cities I have visited
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 21:33
I'm in Uk at Present and can think instantly of 20 reasons why I love Dubai. Has any one created a more positive list of 20 reasons why the UAE is great? I will write 6 and I hope that other posters will add to my list. 1. Safe city with little violence 2. Good variety of indoor and outdoor activities depending on the season 3. Nice, well-maintained roads 4. Tolerance for all religions and ways of life 5. Wide variety of foods available 6. Availability of ladies' gyms <em>edited by AnonDubai on 28/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 21:23
I'm in Uk at Present and can think instantly of 20 reasons why I love Dubai. Has any one created a more positive list of 20 reasons why the UAE is great?
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 16:07
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/health/sick-and-dying-mother-of-five-faces-pleads-for-mercy-1.1362596 For the life of me i cannot imagine how living here with five daughters is cheaper than Pakistan...
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 14:33
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/health/sick-and-dying-mother-of-five-faces-pleads-for-mercy-1.1362596
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 23:31
I lost with this thread and the directions it is taking, what's wrong with the article again? classic LC! The article is just a moan...it is pretty factual but yet very whingy. But i think to people who have been here long enough it seems petty. I personally LOVE dubai, and have made it my home, so part of living here does also include reading strange articles that show Dubai in a bad light, and EW threads that ramble aimlessly....
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 22:52
But Ruth you do agree with me. By justifying that "everyone everywhere does it", you are one of us - the billions of people worldwide who care but care more about ourselves. No matter how we paint the picture to ourselves, how we position it's acceptability to ourselves, the truth is that everywhere, in most cases, there are people suffering and we, as humanity, allow it to happen. But for some unbeknownst reason, people come here and are shocked to see it happening and attempt to separate themselves from it, as though it is 'them' not 'us' when the truth is they know what is going in and support it in some way shape of form by staying here where it [the extent of human hierarchies'> is much more transparent than in other countries. edited by Londiamond on 22/07/2014 Sorry you did say " if you have a resident visa… you are on board with everything here, like it or lump it you sold your values for the job that brought you here." If merely having a Dubai visa means you have sold your values then you actually sold your values the day you were born whether you wanted to or not. In actuality it is possible to say many Dubai residents who do say something about this are more enlightened than others in Europe/Americas/Australasia who blindly buy their clothing made in Bangladesh, their computers made in China, their non fairtrade pineapples from Philippines. Likewise there are people who are horrified to find lamb biryani starts off looking like a cute little fluffy lamb (as someone whose family do a lot of shooting and have spent half my life criticised by anti-hunting meat eaters I always find this amusing). Western civilisation over the last fifty years or so has become more and more manufactured, most people do not consider where their food or their consumable items come from except when the press decides to make a song and dance about something (tea, coffee, Apple products). I know very few people who inspect labels to see where things were manufactured and even in doing so you still have to consider just because an item of clothing was for example made in Italy, the fabric may have still been manufactured under sweatshop conditions in the far east. Now just because you are benefitting from these things does not mean you have sold your values. As a citizen of many countries in the west there are things governments do that you may disagree with, but very few people rescind their citizenship. In 2003 up to a million people protested in London over the Iraq war and most of them probably went straight back to work the next day, paying taxes, purchasing VAT goods and funding the very war they protested about. Just because we benefit from citizenship of a country whose foreign policies we don't necessarily agree with, or products manufactured under poor working conditions does not mean we cannot say something about them (although in certain places you can only whisper). In order to function in a modern world we all have to 'compromise' on our values. This is not selling out, this is compromising and merely living in Dubai does not mean you've sold out your values. So long as you do not forget what you stand for and are still disgusted by the inequality of different ethnic groups then your values are still there.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 16:17
I lost with this thread and the directions it is taking, what's wrong with the article again?
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 15:19
I am on clock watch! 10 hours until I leave for a work trip and tiny getaway…I have one more client to see at 3pm then it's out of the office for a week. You wouldn't get that week off in the UK! Lol why not ? My husband has less time off here than he did at home...
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 14:28
I am on clock watch! 10 hours until I leave for a work trip and tiny getaway…I have one more client to see at 3pm then it's out of the office for a week.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 14:19
You are being very philosophical, Londiamond...
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 14:18
But Ruth you do agree with me. By justifying that "everyone everywhere does it", you are one of us - the billions of people worldwide who care but care more about ourselves. No matter how we paint the picture to ourselves, how we position it's acceptability to ourselves, the truth is that everywhere, in most cases, there are people suffering and we, as humanity, allow it to happen. But for some unbeknownst reason, people come here and are shocked to see it happening and attempt to separate themselves from it, as though it is 'them' not 'us' when the truth is they know what is going in and support it in some way shape of form by staying here where it [the extent of human hierarchies'> is much more transparent than in other countries. <em>edited by Londiamond on 22/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 14:05
I don't wish to burst anyone's bubble here but like it or not if you are a resident here you benefit from in some way or turn a blind eye to any under the rug goings on because you KNOW you do not have a voice to fight them yet remain here anyway because you need the job yourself. And anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. The only people who can rightfully say it is not done wrong, it is bad, are those who say so as they sit in another country and refuse to come. There is the thumb down option so you can further be in denial. But if you have a resident visa… you are on board with everything here, like it or lump it you sold your values for the job that brought you here. edited by Londiamond on 22/07/2014 I think that most of us expats, of all races and religions and all walks of life, have come here for a better standard of living and more money. Everything is relative in terms of what is a better standard of living depending on where the expat comes from... edited by AnonDubai on 22/07/2014 I disagree with both these posts. Firstly even if you have attempted to always purchase fair trade goods for many things it is not possible. Unless you have exited society, live in a cave and do not use any imported goods whatsoever (so no filling your car with petrol, not that you would own a car anyway unless you built it yourself) then you are guilty of 'selling your values' in order to live in modern society. Just because you cannot see the sweatshops and construction workers in Europe, America and Australasia does not mean you are not benefitting from them. Secondly there are a large number of people who are not in Dubai to have a better standard of living and make more money. DH would earn the same salary package in UK as here. Once we've paid the extortionate rent and inflated prices for just about everything in Dubai we would probably break about even with UK tax. However he works internationally all over Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia and we are in Dubai as it means we can spend more time together and he can arrange a lot of client meetings here as a central hub. It also gives us a nice hub to travel and explore some of Asia. In the UK we already have a similar sized property, private health care and would be putting our kids in private school. Frankly our UK property is better built than our Dubai one, the health care is better (I have just spent a considerable amount of time in leading London hospitals and there is good reason why they are absolutely packed with wealthy Arabs many of which are Emirati) and the well established prep/public schools are definitely superior to the profit driven UAE schools. These are reasons why we will be leaving the UAE prior to our kids reaching age 5, (possibly age 3) and most likely going back to the UK where the quality of living is better.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 14:05
I came here a long time ago for work purposes. I was facing unemployment in the USA so coming here was definitely a better option. Out of all the places I have lived, Dubai is my favorite. I would not want to live anywhere else... Same here. I have earnt more money here in 8 years than I ever could of in 15 years in the UK Germany as an expat was my favourite place ( Pre Euro) we were spoilt rotten being Wives of UK servicemen and didn't pay tax. I still miss those days but love Dubai, who knows where I will end up next
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 14:04
But many of those that you are talking about would be working in the slums in third world countries - not the west. It is convenient and not to mention somewhat arrogant to lump every "worker" into one category but that is seldom accurate. There are many workers here such as waiters, drivers and so on who never lived in a slum and have reasonable homes and life back home. The reason they move here is because there are no jobs and so they would rather work here than be unemployed. They sacrifice their living standards and trade living with their family to sharing a room with 4 or 6 others in order to earn and send money. again would not be ABLE to work in the west; which was the point i was making - these people ARE mainly from the thirld world. FYI. They are called developing countries these days!
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 14:04
It wouldn't be my sole reason but Dubai is in the 'middle east' therefore it makes a lot of places easier to get to. I would love to live somewhere with no bad points but no such place exists. Here i get to make a difference at work, get to save money and travel regularly amongst many other good things. By staying in my car at the petrol station some else gets a job by not making my tea at work someone else has a job. I don't enjoy either and both were alien to me. If you go to a country like the us/uk/ireland etc... you can naturalise and can become part of the society, here that is not an option unless you marry a local, or buy property and with buying property you still have no social security. Many of us are here to earn for our families, here and at home and for futures at home or else where, what we need to earn depends on the cost of living at home or where we intend to go next and how we choose to live here. I am in no position to judge someone that chooses to share a tiny room here while paying off a mortgage for house back home. If i had more sense maybe i would do the same! People that do menial jobs aren't lesser than anyone by virtue of their job or their salary they only become that way if others treat them that way. Who looks down at friends just because they make less money?! Why are service workers you don't know any different? <em>edited by mannikat on 22/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 14:00
I came here a long time ago for work purposes. I was facing unemployment in the USA so coming here was definitely a better option. Out of all the places I have lived, Dubai is my favorite. I would not want to live anywhere else...
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:55
But many of those that you are talking about would be working in the slums in third world countries - not the west. It is convenient and not to mention somewhat arrogant to lump every "worker" into one category but that is seldom accurate. There are many workers here such as waiters, drivers and so on who never lived in a slum and have reasonable homes and life back home. The reason they move here is because there are no jobs and so they would rather work here than be unemployed. They sacrifice their living standards and trade living with their family to sharing a room with 4 or 6 others in order to earn and send money. again would not be ABLE to work in the west; which was the point i was making - these people ARE mainly from the thirld world.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:53
But many of those that you are talking about would be working in the slums in third world countries - not the west. It is convenient and not to mention somewhat arrogant to lump every "worker" into one category but that is seldom accurate. There are many workers here such as waiters, drivers and so on who never lived in a slum and have reasonable homes and life back home. The reason they move here is because there are no jobs and so they would rather work here than be unemployed. They sacrifice their living standards and trade living with their family to sharing a room with 4 or 6 others in order to earn and send money.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:52
I didn't move here for money, am not staying her for money. I genuinely enjoy living in Dubai . and what a refreshing change that is to hear :D so tired of all the moaning......
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:47
I didn't move here for money, am not staying her for money. I genuinely enjoy living in Dubai .
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:41
I don't wish to burst anyone's bubble here but like it or not if you are a resident here you benefit from in some way or turn a blind eye to any under the rug goings on because you KNOW you do not have a voice to fight them yet remain here anyway because you need the job yourself. And anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. The only people who can rightfully say it is not done wrong, it is bad, are those who say so as they sit in another country and refuse to come. There is the thumb down option so you can further be in denial. But if you have a resident visa… you are on board with everything here, like it or lump it you sold your values for the job that brought you here. edited by Londiamond on 22/07/2014 I think that all of us expats, of all races and religions and all walks of life, have come here for a better standard of living and more money. Everything is relative in terms of what is a better standard of living depending on where the expat comes from... This is such a generalization though, I'd be making more money, have a better job and a better standard of living in my country than here, but I came here because I wanted to see the world and Dubai is a very good hub. Now that I've run out of places to visit, I'm ready to leave Dubai. So no, not everyone is here to make money! I'll change my post to most expats then. But I have to say, I have not ever heard anyone else say that they came to live here for the travel opportunities. Really ? Yes, really. You would have to really love traveling if you are willing to put that above all the negatives of living here... Negatives are subjective and of all the people I know, there are as many reasons for being here... We are here because my husband's company sent him here - didn't even know where Dubai was !! lol But we're hoping to stay as long as we can as do most of our friends..I don't understand why you would stay if you have "negatives", or why you would live anywhere that you have such feelings...
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:37
I don't wish to burst anyone's bubble here but like it or not if you are a resident here you benefit from in some way or turn a blind eye to any under the rug goings on because you KNOW you do not have a voice to fight them yet remain here anyway because you need the job yourself. And anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. The only people who can rightfully say it is not done wrong, it is bad, are those who say so as they sit in another country and refuse to come. There is the thumb down option so you can further be in denial. But if you have a resident visa… you are on board with everything here, like it or lump it you sold your values for the job that brought you here. edited by Londiamond on 22/07/2014 I think that all of us expats, of all races and religions and all walks of life, have come here for a better standard of living and more money. Everything is relative in terms of what is a better standard of living depending on where the expat comes from... This is such a generalization though, I'd be making more money, have a better job and a better standard of living in my country than here, but I came here because I wanted to see the world and Dubai is a very good hub. Now that I've run out of places to visit, I'm ready to leave Dubai. So no, not everyone is here to make money! I'll change my post to most expats then. But I have to say, I have not ever heard anyone else say that they came to live here for the travel opportunities. Really ? Yes, really. You would have to really love traveling if you are willing to put that above all the negatives of living here...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY