HSBC OR BARCLAYS | ExpatWoman.com

HSBC OR BARCLAYS

Latest post on 21 July 2014 - 16:38

I was wondering if anyone has any views on which bank is the best to use for
A) ease of use
B) transferring currency between countries
C) helping with all the questions you inevitably have moving abroad

Latest post on 09 April 2015 - 10:18
After reading your points, i recommend you to go with ADCB as they offer fast, simple and secure banking services in UAE. For my personal banking requirement i am using their online service like online money transfer to India.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:36
always keen on air miles!!
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:21
Just another suggestion, but if you have a UAE HSBC MasterCard when you get out here use it for as much as you can along with the Airmiles UAE card. Doubles your miles and they can be worth it if you want free flights. We've had two each to Cyprus so far ? <em>edited by Geordie expat on 22/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:17
thanks for that tip i agree even in the uk you get loads of £20's which is a pain when all you want is a stamp!!!
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 11:38
Good to know, and nope you are NOT alone! Blooming big denominations drive me mad
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 11:13
avoid the HSBC ATMs though, as they always give out large denomination notes, we just use any one with a Visa sign ;) Really!! I never knew that If I ever need more than 200 AED I always used to end up getting cash out in multiples of 300 then at least I got the odd 100 note. You can guarantee if you ask for 1000 there will only ever be one 100 note (if you're lucky) and then the poor guy at the petrol station has to find me some change ;) Or perhaps it's just me that prefers small denomination notes.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 11:09
avoid the HSBC ATMs though, as they always give out large denomination notes, we just use any one with a Visa sign ;) Really!! I never knew that
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 11:00
thanks geordie i am about to become a premier customer as we aren't with HSBC at all here. i think your right looks the best for transferring funds etc. i am a great one for online banking so hopefully will suit me fine. We've had no issues out here and we've very rarely had to go into a branch. Everything we do is on line. All I will say is try and avoid the HSBC ATMs though, as they always give out large denomination notes, we just use any one with a Visa sign ;)
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 10:57
thanks geordie i am about to become a premier customer as we aren't with HSBC at all here. i think your right looks the best for transferring funds etc. i am a great one for online banking so hopefully will suit me fine.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 10:51
Thank you that really answers the question HSBC it is ! For better or worse ! If you're not already an HSBC Premier Customer, try and get them to upgrade you to one before you leave the UK. Makes life a lot easier out here and also money transfers are then free from her back to the UK or Jersey.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 10:11
I am with Emirates Islamic bank - i think they are great.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 10:10
Yep, from November Barclays will no longer exist and will become ADIB If you are looking for an alternative I hear nothing but good things about ADCB but I am with HSBC, and have never had any issues.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 02:09
Thank you that really answers the question HSBC it is ! For better or worse !
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 01:11
We have accounts at both banks and unfortunately neither is perfect and we've had ongoing issues at both but......it has been widely announced that Barclays is closing their retail business in the UAE so there shouldn't even be an issue assuming Barclays isn't opening new accounts? If they are I'd be wary! Here is a link to one article. Google and you will find many more. http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/09/03/uk-barclays-uae-sale-idUKBRE9820LZ20130903

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY