Help us, we NEED you | ExpatWoman.com

Help us, we NEED you

Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 10:48

Dear Expats
For past week lot of dog owners got together to reverse the ban on dog walk in Dubai Marina. Their efforts resulted in some articles and radio interviews. All dog owners need to help and keep this story alive.
So if you can please join us today at Skydive Dubai (Marina) at 4PM. We will gather there to show support against the dog ban. Please, if you care join us to show our love and care for our pooches

See you at 4PM at Skydive

Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 16:56
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer. I agree. We would love to live in an apartment and save some money but since we have a dog we have always lived in a villa. I think it's only fair to the dog. We don't save money by living in an apartment in Dubai Marina, we live in a huge 3 bed ground floor with massive outdoor space which is why it costs us so much more than our last villa and, again, we have loads of outdoor space for the dogs, whether it is a villa or a huge terrace with astro turf, trees and plants, outdoor space is outdoor space. Our terrace is bigger than lots of gardens and our dogs enjoy it as much as they did our garden. Our dogs are very well looked after and very happy and as I don't have kids, they are my primary concern, yes I am one of those people who treats her dogs like children ? so believe me when I say, the only issue we have here is that the right to walk the dogs on the marina walk has been revoked, making dog walking, not dog living, unsuitable. If I lived in a pokey wee apartment and had a small balcony I would agree with you but our place is huge and certainly has enough space for our dogs. I guess it would also depend on the / size of dog?! Yeah it totally depends on the size of the dog. We have a big/medium dog and a medium/smallish dog but as I say our place is bigger than our old villa in JVT, our terrace is not quite as big as the garden we had there ? but it is still huge none the less and our dogs never used the garden very often because let's face it, it is the Middle East and the dogs prefer to be inside because it is so hot. I used to leave the door open all day for my dogs in JVT and they never went outside of their accord, I always had to take them out and play, which is exactly what we do here as well but here the terrace is shaded so it's even better for them. I don't like the thought of dogs being cooped up all day whether it's in a villa, apartment, whatever, mine are not, as I say, my dogs were a huge part of our decision making process when we were moving out of JVT and we were perfectly satisfied with this place in Park Islands.......were! I think I have proven how much my dogs mean to me and that they are my main concern by me being on here all day trying to find a solution and looking for new places to live etc.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 16:49
It all comes down to the dog really. I have 2, I lived in an apartment before i came here with them and they were fine just walking to the park. Now we live in a villa in springs just for them (I could just live in a one bed somewhere dogs allowed), sometimes I wonder why I bothered, I have seen balconies bigger than my garden, lol.. Dogs aren't allowed in the park, lake has no easy access from my place.. I can't install a flap for them to use when I am at work, they enjoy the sun and I am afraid of heat stroke... If there comes a time that I can't afford the villa (which seems likely with this hike) I am sure they will be fine in an apartment again... The change in the rules overnight is unacceptable in my opinion. If they announced it a year earlier and they gave people time to look at their options, it would have been different. This is not just dog owner's issue, it is scary in every way...
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 16:45
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer. I agree. We would love to live in an apartment and save some money but since we have a dog we have always lived in a villa. I think it's only fair to the dog. We don't save money by living in an apartment in Dubai Marina, we live in a huge 3 bed ground floor with massive outdoor space which is why it costs us so much more than our last villa and, again, we have loads of outdoor space for the dogs, whether it is a villa or a huge terrace with astro turf, trees and plants, outdoor space is outdoor space. Our terrace is bigger than lots of gardens and our dogs enjoy it as much as they did our garden. Our dogs are very well looked after and very happy and as I don't have kids, they are my primary concern, yes I am one of those people who treats her dogs like children ? so believe me when I say, the only issue we have here is that the right to walk the dogs on the marina walk has been revoked, making dog walking, not dog living, unsuitable. If I lived in a pokey wee apartment and had a small balcony I would agree with you but our place is huge and certainly has enough space for our dogs. I guess it would also depend on the / size of dog?!
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 16:44
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer. I agree. We would love to live in an apartment and save some money but since we have a dog we have always lived in a villa. I think it's only fair to the dog. We don't save money by living in an apartment in Dubai Marina, we live in a huge 3 bed ground floor with massive outdoor space which is why it costs us so much more than our last villa and, again, we have loads of outdoor space for the dogs, whether it is a villa or a huge terrace with astro turf, trees and plants, outdoor space is outdoor space. Our terrace is bigger than lots of gardens and our dogs enjoy it as much as they did our garden. Our dogs are very well looked after and very happy and as I don't have kids, they are my primary concern, yes I am one of those people who treats her dogs like children ? so believe me when I say, the only issue we have here is that the right to walk the dogs on the marina walk has been revoked, making dog walking, not dog living, unsuitable. If I lived in a pokey wee apartment and had a small balcony I would agree with you but our place is huge and certainly has enough space for our dogs.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 16:44
Pets are family members to many people, to outright ban them, is not the sign that somewhere is 'family' friendly. And of course that comment comes from you, as you are a dog hater anyway. LooooooL,,,, Thinking that rescue dogs should not be rehomed in houses with children, does not make me a dog hatter. Thinking dogs should not be kept in apartments, does not make me a dog hatter Thinking that does should be kept in houses / villas with gardens, does not make me a dog hatter... Thinking that dogs do not make a city progressive, does not make me a dog hatter... What else have i said that could possible be construed as "dog hatting"??? edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 It's hater... One t. Izzy, whenever I see your posts I can't help but think that you always try to disagree with whatever somebody writes. You come across as a very unpleasant woman, from what I read on here.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 16:25
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer. I agree. We would love to live in an apartment and save some money but since we have a dog we have always lived in a villa. I think it's only fair to the dog.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 15:33
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer. Which is why we live in a villa. I thought you said you had a terrace? Implying some form of apartment. Yes it is an apartment as far as we are concerned but it is called a villa, perhaps due to the square footage and so they can charge us more I am sure. We also have ground floor access etc. As I said before, either way, we have lots of indoor and outdoor space for our 2 dogs and until recently we had lots of walking areas for the dogs.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 15:29
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer. Which is why we live in a villa. Definition of villas seem to differ. My understanding of a villa is a detached house with a garden around it. Yes I agree, it certainly seems to differ everywhere. We live in what we would have called an apartment but it is a ground floor apartment that has it's own huge terrace/garden but it is known as a villa, probably so they can charge us more! Either way, it is perfectly suitable as it is so big and has lots of outdoor space and until recently had amazing outdoor space for walking.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 15:19
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer. Which is why we live in a villa. I thought you said you had a terrace? Implying some form of apartment.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 15:13
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer. Which is why we live in a villa. Definition of villas seem to differ. My understanding of a villa is a detached house with a garden around it.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 14:50
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer. Which is why we live in a villa.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 14:49
They should just ban dogs in Dubai completely. Let them get cats. That would solve the problem. Yes because that's a sign of a progressive, cosmopolitan, friendly city! *worst comment EVER* sorry but how do dogs make a city progressive? I don't think dogs necessarily make a city progressive but being allowed to keep dogs in a Middle Eastern city is definitely a sign of it's progression and increased tolerance which I think is wonderful. It's just unfortunate that some people ruin it for others by leaving the dog mess lying around and making it unsightly and unpleasant for other people.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 14:48
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a [b'>good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here[/b'>, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful. which is why apartments are not really suitable.... and this is a public forum and this is my opinion; you dont have to agree with it but i am free to express it on any post that i choose. and my opinion is that the marina is not a suitable place for walking dogs, especailly in the summer.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 14:45
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014 Anywhere where dogs can have a long walk, where they can have a good sniff around, see people, other dogs etc is ideal for dog walking. And the marina walk was supposed to be 'dog friendly' which is why they provide dog waste bins etc. There isn't really anywhere in Dubai for the dogs to have a good run as they are supposed to be kept on a leash here, that's why we take ours to the desert so they can have a good run. I appreciate your opinion but to be fair, we are already here and we are looking for solutions to the problem so your comments are not really helpful.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 14:36
Pets are family members to many people, to outright ban them, is not the sign that somewhere is 'family' friendly. And of course that comment comes from you, as you are a dog hater anyway. LooooooL,,,, Thinking that rescue dogs should not be rehomed in houses with children, does not make me a dog hatter. Thinking dogs should not be kept in apartments, does not make me a dog hatter Thinking that does should be kept in houses / villas with gardens, does not make me a dog hatter... Thinking that dogs do not make a city progressive, does not make me a dog hatter... What else have i said that could possible be construed as "dog hatting"??? <em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 14:10
They should just ban dogs in Dubai completely. Let them get cats. That would solve the problem. Yes because that's a sign of a progressive, cosmopolitan, friendly city! *worst comment EVER* sorry but how do dogs make a city progressive?
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 13:50
They should just ban dogs in Dubai completely. Let them get cats. That would solve the problem. Yes because that's a sign of a progressive, cosmopolitan, friendly city! *worst comment EVER*
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 13:33
I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. How are concrete footpaths dog friendly? Sorry but there is no where in the Marina or an apartment for a dog to run. <em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 13:14
I live in the marina and was walking with my daughter on the promenade this morning. Saw six dogs. People not taking the signage terribly seriously one would suggest. I am a teacher and as such, a massive stickler for rules - but hey, depends how badly you want to walk your dogs.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:58
Obviously it wouldn't solve the problem as there are already thousands of dogs here but thanks for the helpful comment.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:12
Come to the Greens. We love dogs here!
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 11:58
They should just ban dogs in Dubai completely. Let them get cats. That would solve the problem.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 11:51
Sorry Lennox - but surely if you have multiple dogs, the best place for them and you would be a villa with a garden.... if i had multiple dogs, there is no way that i would consider the Marina as suitable area. As beebers said we have a 3 bed villa/apartment on Dubai Marina. The reason dubai marina was considered a suitable area was due to the multiple different walks available for the dogs. I have had dogs all my life and would never settle for a place where they could not have freedom and good exercise. We have a giant terrace where they can play and lounge all day if they chose, however they prefer to stay inside as they did in our last villa. When we were looking for somewhere new to live, which was suitable for all of us, I considered every option and dubai marina won hands down thanks to the walks and apparent dog friendly environment. So whilst I appreciate you would never consider it a suitable area, I, and many other dog owners do, or did. The new rules are a huge game changer and it is now unsuitable due to my dogs not getting a long enough walk.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 10:29
I lived in Park Island in 2010-11, and actually, there were quite a few residents with dogs. There *was* really easy access to the walk from that building. I ran the marina walk many times and would often pass people walking their dogs. Never once did I have to dodge any jewels left behind by irresponsible owners. It is nice to see animal life. For crying out loud, I light up when birds land on my balcony, just to see some life! If Lennox is paying 250K, I assume that means 2/3 bed, or villa. I am sure they considered the living space with their dogs' well-being in mind when they chose a place. If they had border collies or something, then yes, a villa would be more appropriate. ETA it is ridiculous in the marina right now, totally not pedestrian friendly and dangerous. Changes daily. I walked from Princess Tower to Silverene a few weeks back and it took me over an hour with the diversions. I tell myself it will be worth it when the tram is done, but for now--I just shake my head at some of the detours and "stunts" like painting a white line on the street at 7:30 am this morning, in the turnout from my building. great timing! <em>edited by Beebers on 20/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 10:02
Sorry Lennox - but surely if you have multiple dogs, the best place for them and you would be a villa with a garden.... if i had multiple dogs, there is no way that i would consider the Marina as suitable area.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 09:54
Hi ladies, I moved to Park Island in Dubai Marina after thoroughly researching the best area for my family and dogs to live. I loved the fact that we had the option of a lovely long walk with some sandy parts here and there for our dogs to do their business. We have committed to staying here for 1 year and are paying a hefty 250k for the pleasure! Now that has been taken away from us, literally over night and there have been no solutions offered. The dog waste bins are still on and around Marina walk so where do I throw my dog waste now? We now have to walk up a skinny pavement with cars whizzing past at a crazy speed, putting myself and my dogs at risk. I am disgusted by what has happened. A solution should have been offered or at least the dog waste bins moved so that we do not need to go onto the walk to dispose of the dog dirt. We are now having to consider relocating, again, due to this. What annoys me even more is that it is because of a lazy few who don't pick up waste or let their dogs off leash, well cheers to you guys, you have ruined it for everyone! Sorry for the rant but I am extremely upset over this as I am sure many others are as well.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 11:56
It's a hateful article though and based solely on HER opinion - nothing more. It's a rant and not a decent piece of journalism.
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 11:51
http://www.thenational.ae/opinion/comment/i-rarely-hear-a-barking-dog-in-the-uae-and-long-may-that-situation-continue Dear AnonDubai We are perfectly aware of different opinions not only on this matter, on all sorts of issues. With all respects, I wrote IF you care. But thank you for going out of your way to show your feelings! Those are not my feelings. They are the reporter's. I was only showing what you are up against. Why ? Because the author mentions the Marina in her article, so I found it relevant to the OP's call for a gathering/protest... The National agreed to print her piece, which means that there are people in this country who agree with her [the author'>...
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 11:41
http://www.thenational.ae/opinion/comment/i-rarely-hear-a-barking-dog-in-the-uae-and-long-may-that-situation-continue Dear AnonDubai We are perfectly aware of different opinions not only on this matter, on all sorts of issues. With all respects, I wrote IF you care. But thank you for going out of your way to show your feelings! Those are not my feelings. They are the reporter's. I was only showing what you are up against. Why ?
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 11:30
http://www.thenational.ae/opinion/comment/i-rarely-hear-a-barking-dog-in-the-uae-and-long-may-that-situation-continue Dear AnonDubai We are perfectly aware of different opinions not only on this matter, on all sorts of issues. With all respects, I wrote IF you care. But thank you for going out of your way to show your feelings! Those are not my feelings. They are the reporter's. I was only showing what you are up against.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY