First child getting ready for FS1 | ExpatWoman.com

First child getting ready for FS1

Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 10:12

Hi ladies,
I have my first child getting ready for FS1 and I wondered if there are any good websites around that can give me a guide as to what children are expected to already know before they start the year. i.e. - the alphabet, count to X, shapes etc. And also what they should have achieved by the end of their FS1 year.
Thanks...

Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 03:02
Just to add my son wasn't social , it took him 3 month of crying on & off , the school worked with us in helping him to get over his social anxiety , he was also very dependent. , although he knew a lot he was considered behind . They worked on encouraging him to become independent & social . Now he's very independent & social which is more important at that age than academic achievements .
Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 02:11
Just to balance things out, my son is starting fs1 in sep too. He can barely count to 10, does not know any complex shapes, does not know any letters of the alphabet and hasn't a clue what a phonic is. However he is a master negotiator, an excellent painter, a super fast skipper and has the most beautiful laugh in the world. He will learn in his own time, just relax. My elder child was exactly the same and now at 9 is right at the top of his year group, having just finished year 4 with level 5's (which is extremely good).
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 23:31
My son's school sent us a joining letter, other than feeding himself, using the toilet independently & washing his hands, they didn't ask for anything else. My son knew the phonics, alphabet & numbers in addition to complex shapes & reading cvc & some sight words before starting but all those weren't a requirement, they taught them basic phonics, numbers & shapes through play at school, there was no structured learning . As for achievement, my son was assessed based on what he knew earlier not only. On what was covered during the academic year. He was asked to recognise 2 digit numbers, reading a story & counting to 100. Children who were following the curriculum were assessed based on what was covered during the year . They post weekly reports on the school's communicator on Thursdays with what's covered during the week. edited by wickedangel_78 on 23/07/2014 edited by wickedangel_78 on 23/07/2014 <em>edited by wickedangel_78 on 23/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 22:25
FS1 is not for teaching. Its for playing games. Its in FS2 that they start learning. FS1 is basically a glorified nursery class. They are only 3 yrs old! Let children be children.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 12:39
Really, keep it simple and no doubt your school will inform you of what is to be learnt. You can look up the British curriculum and primary school websites via google, but relax and let your child enjoy school!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY