Moms with kids at UK unis and that first part time job - advice | ExpatWoman.com

Moms with kids at UK unis and that first part time job - advice

Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 15:33

Hi, my daughter has just completed her first year at uni in UK and opted to stay over the summer to find a summer job. Nada, nothing.... so after six weeks she's wanting to come back for the rest of the summer, a bit deflated sadly. I told her it would be hard. There is so much competition for jobs and
having been educated in Dubai, she has no paid work experience and all the jobs she's applied for, have said she doesn't have the experience.. even temporary events jobs, shop assistant vacancies, pub work all demand experience. I was wondering if there were any mums whose uni kids had been in the same situation and how they got that first, all important step on the 'paid work' ladder? She did loads of volunteering

There's a Barista course running in Dubai over the summer and wondering if I should look at things like this to boost her CV even more, to help with getting a job in a coffee shop, although its the experience that's the problem I guess, not the certificate. Would a TEFL course help?

Any suggestions welcome.

Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:53
I saw this the other day, maybe an idea if she is available. There is a course running from Aug 9th. http://www.thegyem.org
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 18:15
Try the summer camps! Dubai Holiday Camps; Esports; Active Sports; M&S Sports etc. Lots of young people are working at these camps.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 16:00
My son was in same situation and finally got a pub job through a friend. Get her to ask around older students, especially those graduating, to be a replacement when they leave. Those working know when the vacancies come up too. Agree it's not easy getting the first break. Good luck.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 15:52
Has she tried John Lewis / Waitrose. They're normally quite good with students and will transfer at term times
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 15:46
The Barista course sounds good !! Our teen worked for a pizza chain before he left school so he already had some experience before going to the UK.. For his first summer home he's looking to work part-time for a supermarket - at least 2 of the big ones here have transfer procedures to move students to their uni town.. Sorry not much help for you - but I would try the pizza places, the one where my son worked has lost a few staff now school has finished and the kids have gone home...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY