Going round New Zealand in a camper van? | ExpatWoman.com

Going round New Zealand in a camper van?

Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 17:03

Hello NZers
Please can you give me some tips on how to do NZ in a camper van. How to get there, which are the best months, how cold it would be when it's summer here, which places would be best to see etc? Thanks :)

Latest post on 02 August 2014 - 19:47
Not sure what your friend is talking about re: waste disposal, Janet, as the usual method is to find a free dump site marked by an RV waste symbol http://www.cmca.net.au/assets/images/Logo/DumpPointLogoRounded.gif (usually just entering or leaving town, or at most campsites). As for getting to remote spots, yes, you are sometimes a wee bit limited and you can't take them off road - but having said that, the top tourist spots (and many of the lesser known spots) are easily accessible with your camper. Weather-wise, February is traditionally the best time of year, and March is usually pretty good too. Depending on what time of year you go, the price can vary considerably. NZ summer "peak" period is usually December-February, at the end of which the price will drop a fair bit, and then drop again at the end of March, end of April, etc. After considerable research, we've now used Apollo a couple of times (http://www.apollocamper.co.nz/) to play the tourist in our own country, but these guys also come highly recommended and are cost competitive (http://www.wendekreisen.co.nz/campervans). Purely from a budget perspective, I personally would stay away from the top names (Maui, Britz, Kea and the like). They are clamping down on free camping all over NZ because too many people were pulling up at pristine spots, staying overnight, then driving away and leaving human waste and litter everywhere! However, if you have a self-contained camper (i.e. it catches and contains all your "waste") then you are still able to free camp in a lot of places. Having said that, there have been cases of tourists getting set upon when they've parked up for the night in remote places, so I would recommend staying in camp grounds anyway from a security point of view. This blog has a couple of good tips (http://www.fodors.com/community/australia-the-pacific/my-tips-for-nz-motorhome-hire.cfm), particularly joining the Top 10 and Kiwi Holiday Park programmes to save on camp ground costs. I'd also recommend purchasing the NZ Lonely Planet. If you went when it was summer here, it would be the heart of winter there, which usually means a fair bit of rain (there's a reason why it's so green there, lol) and a fair bit of cold (the further south you go, the cooler it gets). I'd prefer to go during the NZ summer myself, but no reason not to go in winter if you're that way inclined, the snow on the central plateau and Southern Alps make for spectacular scenery too. If you're pressed for time, I would probably recommend you stick to just the South Island, and then try and get to Blenheim (Marlborough, wine country), Kaikoura, Akaroa, Queenstown, Dunedin, Fox and/or Franz Joseph glaciers, Fiordland, Wanaka, Tekapo. If you've got more time and can fit the North Island in too, then try and get way up north, 90 Mile Beach, Pahia, Russell, Kerikeri, down to Auckland, Waitomo, Bay of Plenty and Wellington, which is where you catch the interisland ferry if you're crossing to the South. As to getting there, after being Emirates faithfuls, we now regularly use Cathay Pacific (their business class is only slightly more expensive than Emirates economy and is fantastic). They fly to Auckland, via Hong Kong, with stopovers from 2-24 hours. Yes, things in general are quite expensive there: it is only a small country and at the bottom of the world, lol, so you do pay a premium for a lot of things. Having said that, you can do things "on the cheap" particularly if you're self-catering in a campervan. I do hope you give it a go, and I do hope you have a fantastic time! :)
Latest post on 02 August 2014 - 18:00
Hello We are planning this too but. Have just been put off from a kiwi friend. Apparently you still have to book in to camp sites etc with your van and also it can be expensive to empty the waste;). Also apparently they can't get down all the roads to the remote beaches etc. Research carefully as we are now- it actually works out the same price hiring a car and booking into motels especially if you have to book vans in anyway. We are still debating November or February now! Excited though..
Latest post on 02 August 2014 - 16:25
Thank you both for all the info. :)
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 17:31
ooohhh how exciting!! Are you asking for a couple or for a family? I did this with my DH when we traveled a few years ago. We used wicked campers, they are converted toyota hiace vans, no toilet or shower but can sleep two and comes with a little sink, camp cooker and bbq. we loved it!! stayed in campsites with shower facilities. there are plenty of DOC (dept of conservation) sites but the facilities are limited they are generally super cheap and run on honesty. We went up as far as the bay of islands on the north island then travelled back via the coast and crossed to the south island. we went down as far as Dunedin then travelled across to Queenstown and up that coast. NZ is outrageously beautiful, and the fresh air its just immense and the people are amazing! Def recommend doing a maori tour, glacier tour, wine tours in napier and marlbourgh especially if you like white wine. We were there in Nov, it was warm generally, it rained on day but we were on a glacier anyway! It is expensive but we had just travelled south america so we were used to very cheap everything. Enjoy!! as you can tell i am very jealous! <em>edited by mannikat on 23/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 17:28
Hi Tattie That's my dream which I hope to fulfil in the next few years, how long are you looking at staying in NZ? It's winter there while it's summer here and it can be a little miserable with the rain and wind. Summer is amazing as the beaches in NZ are a must :-) I always found January the best time weather wise. Have a look on groupon NZ to see if you can get cheap hotel deals as trust my with the beauty of the county you won't be stating in the hotel much at all. When we priced up a camper van for 6 weeks it was rather expensive but to me this is a once in the life time opportunity. Hope this helps any more info ask away.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 17:04
Alternatively just driving round NZ but staying in different hotels in each city. thanks :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY