Boring 4x4 7 seater car question... | ExpatWoman.com

Boring 4x4 7 seater car question...

Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 17:46

I'm going to sell my Audi Q7 soon as it has given us nothing but problems and thousands of dhs spent on repairs in the 6 months we've owned it, mainly AC breaking and electrics.

I was thinking of either a Nissan patrol or a Toyota Landcruiser. Needs to be 7 seater as we have children and visitors every month.

Anyone have good feedback about these cars? I want to get one which has been previously owned (but no more than couple years old), can't afford full brand new price and don't want to be tied down in financing.

I suppose I'm looking for reassurance that these cars are more reliable than the Q7, and that when you take it to servicing or repairs they don't massively rip you off!

Suggestions welcome, thank you.

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 04 August 2014 - 19:43
I drive a Landcruiser, (6 cyl) and just love it! I love the fact I can see over most of the other cars on the road or at least am at the same level. It seats 7-8 people comfortably. But, best of all, it is still not too large and difficult to park at the malls. It is now 12 months old and the only time it has been back to Al Futtaim has been for regular services - otherwise not a problem!
Latest post on 29 July 2014 - 08:32
We have a Ford Expedition, we have 3 kids plus nanny and visitors who all fit in comfortably plus room for double buggy in the back. It's not as swanky as the Toyota Sequoia etc but cheaper to maintain and hasn't given us any trouble so far. You can get an extended version too with slightly more boot space once all the seats are up. Good luck choosing.
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 21:10
We have Nissan Partol and Toyota land cruiser. Both are superb . Patrol has been up a few dunes too.... Excellent cars. Although I will say in the patrol, I think the interior is a tad dated! Hubby doesn't care to much about that though !
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 22:58
Forget Nissan Armada. Try the brand new, redesigned Nissan Pathfinder. It is virtually the same as the Infiniti JX35 but cheaper. It is a comfortable 7 seater and not as trucky and big as the Patrol. We had a good experience at the Rostamani Nissan dealer in Diera. Customer service has been pretty decent as far as customer service can get here. And husband and I both love to drive it. :) would not recommend ford explorer just because it loses value quick. Best of luck to you.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 22:43
Thank you everyone, really helpful. I will definitely look into the other options below
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:56
I would suggest Nissan Armada or Toyota Fortuner or Toyota Sequoia. They aren't the best-looking cars, but all my friends who have big families, frequent visitors, or plenty of kids in car seats drive these cars and are quite happy. DH says that Toyota Landcruiser would be your most expensive option, and perhaps not really worth it. Brand-new, the Mazda CX9 should be within your budget. I owned one for 1 1/2 yrs and I really liked it. It is 7 seater, has good a/c for the middle seats and rear-seats passengers, and routine servicing was among the cheapest I've ever paid in Dubai. It is also easy to park, and is "zippy" to drive. Toyota has the advantage in having provided GCC spec cars in the region over the longest time period.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:44
You can not go wrong with either a Nissan or Toyota, re sale is strong and they last forever! Drive both and see which you prefer.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:43
We really like our ford explorer, it's a 7 seater and lots of good safety features. <em>edited by Kjt on 23/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 19:59
Nissans and Toyotas are known for good reliability. However I have had friends in Dubai who had serious issues dealing with Toyota servicing who basically broke their car then charged them a fortune to fix it. When we were looking to buy we were less than impressed with the Toyota dealership. In the end we decided to lease a car long term so we didn't have to concern ourselves with the car breaking or other maintenance costs. If I were to choose between them I would most likely choose the Toyota. But whether or not you have issues I think unfortunately is the luck of the draw.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY