Just when you start to think the world has lost all sense of decency.... | ExpatWoman.com

Just when you start to think the world has lost all sense of decency....

Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 18:24

.....something happens to make you realise that not all is lost.
If any of you were watching the news reports of the planes landing in the Netherlands with some of the victims of the Ukraine disaster, you will know what I mean.
An almost unbearably poignant yet totally respectful and fitting ceremony, I hope the relatives of the dead gain comfort from this after the appalling lack of humanity which took their loved ones' lives, and the less than dignified treatment we have seen thereafter.
Holland, you should be very proud.

Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 08:49
Proud of my country. Hopefully the ceremony will have given some comfort to the families and loved ones after the initial staggering treatment of the victims in Ukraine. Tonight 2 more planes carrying another 70 victims will be brought to The Netherlands. I pray they will all be traveling to their families soon, wherever that may be.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 21:18
The Dutch Consulate has an online condolences register: http://condolences.eu/register/Victims-of-flight-KL4103-MH017-to-Kuala-Lumpur-6579.html If you would like to leave a message....
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 21:07
Good grief, why would anyone red thumb my post on a subject like this? Never have a problem with anyone disagreeing with me, but really? I'm appalled that anyone could thumb down such a post, in fact admin should disable the thumb thing for this thread. Maybe they are thumbing down the event rather than your post in the same way people "like" such stories on Facebook, not because they like the tragedy but because they like the way you have respectfully commented on it....
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:51
What with what is happening in Gaza, this plane being shot down and the plane crash today in Taiwan - it really has been quite an appalling end to Ramadan. May God have mercy on their souls and give their families the strength they need. Like I said, we have plenty of people to pray for tonight!
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:47
What with what is happening in Gaza, this plane being shot down and the plane crash today in Taiwan - it really has been quite an appalling end to Ramadan. May God have mercy on their souls and give their families the strength they need.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:42
It's awful how many people are being killed... I am happy that at least in the Netherlands the victims are getting the respect and dignity they deserve. In other places in the world funeral processions get bombed. Sometimes I just want to switch everything off and go sit under a rock so I can avoid the news. Yes, if only the world would just stop turning for a minute and a few heads could be banged together in order to see some sense. It was also moving that villagers near the crash site in eastern Ukraine have held their own memorial for the victims of flight MH17. They too are innocent and this must have been terribly distressing for them. Even Dutch embassies abroad were visited and flowers laid down. It's amazing how in a world of division and fighting, sometimes people over the world come together to support each other. And yes, I can think of a few heads I would like to bang together.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:38
It's awful how many people are being killed... I am happy that at least in the Netherlands the victims are getting the respect and dignity they deserve. In other places in the world funeral processions get bombed. Sometimes I just want to switch everything off and go sit under a rock so I can avoid the news. Yes, if only the world would just stop turning for a minute and a few heads could be banged together in order to see some sense. It was also moving that villagers near the crash site in eastern Ukraine have held their own memorial for the victims of flight MH17. They too are innocent and this must have been terribly distressing for them.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:35
It's awful how many people are being killed... I am happy that at least in the Netherlands the victims are getting the respect and dignity they deserve. In other places in the world funeral processions get bombed. Sometimes I just want to switch everything off and go sit under a rock so I can avoid the news.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:33
I have to say I am quite proud of my compatriots. So much respect is shown for the victims, they are lining the roads, and cars on the opposite side of the road are actually slowing down and coming to a complete stop until the cars have passed by entirely. Beautiful. Agree.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:32
It really has been the most terrible two weeks, all we see in the international news is innocent children injured or dead. Whatever the circumstances i just wish children would not be involved, it's heartbreaking. The live feed from the Netherlands was so incredibly moving, who could not shed a tear? And yet more tragedy; another plane has gone down (accident) in Taiwan, with yet more deaths. And to cap it off two military jets are being reported shot down in the same area as the MH17 in less than a week! Needless wars, needless deaths.....when will it end. LT thank you for posting
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:31
I have to say I am quite proud of my compatriots. So much respect is shown for the victims, they are lining the roads, and cars on the opposite side of the road are actually slowing down and coming to a complete stop until the cars have passed by entirely. Beautiful.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 20:25
Good grief, why would anyone red thumb my post on a subject like this? Never have a problem with anyone disagreeing with me, but really? I'm appalled that anyone could thumb down such a post, in fact admin should disable the thumb thing for this thread.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 19:44
I have so much respect for the people who are left behind. In their sadness and grief, they still manage to show appreciation for those who carried the coffins out of the planes into the cars, for the kind and the queen. Tonight will be another night of prayer, and there are a lot of people to pray for...
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 19:34
You are quite right Maroosh, obviously nothing mindless enough on the telly or not enough homework. And yes, there are unnoticed and unmarked deaths all around us in this world, let's just hope that this remembered loss of life reminds people all lives are precious and to be mourned . And that any small candle such as this serves to do that.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 19:22
Ignore the thumbing down, people seem to have nothing better to do... Have you seen the speech by Minister Timmermans addressing the UN? Very touching... I just can't imagine 200 coffins to be landing on Dutch soil, unnecessarily murdered. At least the Dutch victims have a name, their government able to make their voices heard, investigations done. Not so far away from us, children are dying every day, and they don't have a voice, don't have a name.
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 18:50
Good grief, why would anyone red thumb my post on a subject like this? Never have a problem with anyone disagreeing with me, but really?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY