Living on the palm | ExpatWoman.com

Living on the palm

Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 02:49

Any views on life on the palm. Looking at golden mile, marine residences and shoreline ?.

Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 14:51
Bingo, I wouldnt compare the services of Emaar with Nakheel, they are poles apart. We are in GM and have never had our mail delivered there and there are no individual letter boxes for our building.
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 14:09
Thanks izzy - don't want to hijack - but the Emaar buildings have their own post boxes for each flat in the entrances ( at least mine does) and post is delivered into those boxes once a week - Saturdays - by arrangement of the managment; always has been since building was occupied in 2007. If there are no post boxes in the building entrances - one either has to make a letter flap in the flat's door and hope Empost man will put letters through it - or be in when they come. Hope OP is interested in this! <em>edited by bingo12 on 02/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 13:16
Do any of these buildings on the Palm have their own mail boxes for every flat - so letter can be delivered there,? thanks you can apply for this service via Empost.
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 13:07
Do any of these buildings on the Palm have their own mail boxes for every flat - so letter can be delivered there,? thanks
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 10:48
Having lived in both Shoreline and Golden Mile I prefer GM. We now live in a quiet GM apartment, big walk-in wardrobe in the master, plenty of built in storage space and lovely finishes and the layout is wonderful, I did like shoreline but even with the double glazing of the windows we could still hear the sports cars drag up the trunk, also be very very careful if you rent/buy a shoreline apartment, there are numerous water leaks from expansion joints from the tops of the buildings which run down the apartments. We have friends that have had leak problems for years as unfortunately it has not been fixed on the roofs of the apartment buildings. Also I feel the shoreline apartments have not been maintained well by Nakheel, which is a shame considering they should value their assets, they are a bit run down now, lovely from the outside but some landlords just don't look after their properties. Please note, there have been discounted service charges for Golden mile residence , GM residence can be members at Riva Beach club in Shoreline building 7 or Fairmont Hotel across the road
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 22:59
Just a heads up that I have previously lived on the palm for a year (shoreline) and it has holiday lets here and there. we unfortunately lived under one for a year, extremely noisy all hours of the night and day. The one above us had a huge 'B' sign on the front door so you know what to look for. I don't know if they all do though.
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 22:10
We have just viewed in the Al das building it looks lovely. How do people get transport off the palm we have one car and dh needs it to get to work.
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 01:42
You will have construction noise at some of the Shorelines too. If you have a look at Wikimapia you will see the the tree big construction sites beside number 1, 6, 7 and 10. There have been reports of all sorts of issues within the Shorelines such as leaks and general construction issues. The living span of some buildings here in Dubai seem to get worse the closer they get to ten years or above. There is also a massive building site on full swing in the middle of both sides of Marina Residences. Nakheel is building a shopping centre and a 50 storey hotel there. It could be nice once it's finished in a few years time but you would not want to live right beside it during construction. I would also bare in mind the boy racers at night time. Some might not be bothered by the sound of revving engines but it could be annoying. <em>edited by N0rdique on 19/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 01:22
Thanks for the tip re noise and construction. We def wouldn't like that. So shoreline is a better option for sure with all the facilities. Thanks for the advice. Anyone think the marina might be better ?
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 11:00
If you are looking at GM 1-5 be very aware that all the plots across the road have been sold and envitably construction will start shortly and its loud. We are moving for that reason, as have many of our neighbours that are facing the Viceroy site, its 24 hours a day with Friday from 10am to around 9pm the only respite. There are no facilities and when they do open the pool is shared between 3 buildings and the pool is tiny. The shops are expected to open in the next 12 months, but we have heard that before as well, 4 years ago. Despite this the apartments are amazing and I do love it but I cant stand the noise and lack of sleep anymore. And the prices are expensive given the lack of facilities. <em>edited by littleone on 18/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 10:30
Wherever you stay on the Palm you need to make sure you have a good landlord who pays the service fees. If you ever have to deal directly with Nakheel its a nightmare! Also make sure the apartment is sea facing as those that face the trunk road can be quite noisy with traffic.
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 08:05
The shoreline is one of dubai’s best secrets in my opinion and especially the right side buildings. I specifically prefer 1-6 as its easier to get in and out and you avoid any and all traffic virtually always. The units are large and you have direct access to the beach and pools and gyms. If your a tenant in the shoreline just make sure the landlord has paid the maintenance fees otherwise you will not have access to the beach/ gym/pool etc. I think the Palm in general is quieter and probably less kid friendly than JBR my opinion only. The Golden Mile are nicer finishings but NO facilities at the moment and Marina Residences are lovely but NO beach. Just my opinion and I have a couple units on the shoreline so may be a bit biased;)
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 03:10
Any views on what shoreline is like
Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 11:45
Hi, My friend lives in the Golden Mile. She has a one bedroom. It is beyond fantastic. The building is well maintained and the view is gorgeous. Its a bit pricey, but if you can afford it, then go for it. I think it is much nicer than the shoreline. Tiara is also one of the best buildings on the palm. <em>edited by RH1977 on 24/07/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY