how much do you pay your live in maid for baby sitting after hours? | ExpatWoman.com

how much do you pay your live in maid for baby sitting after hours?

Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 12:09

Hi All,

I would like to know how much you pay your full time live in maid if she baby sits your DS or DD after her working hours. also how much do you compensate her if you need her to work on her day off ?

My maid says her friend gets AED500 [b]EVERY NIGHT[/b] she babysits her employer's son or work on her day off . which I don't believe at all.

please advise!

Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 15:54
Suggest she goes to work there instead then! I had a similar situation with a previous long-term maid whose brother came here to work as a houseboy a couple of streets away from us and in addition to a good salary his employer actually did buy him regular phone cards, all food, all toiletries, brand new furniture etc. There's no point in trying to compete or compensate in that situation if you consider that you are treating and paying your maid fairly, so I just laughed and said no way were we going to be doing that! In the end his employer moved within 2 years and our maid's brother was out of a job. We have always paid our maids fairly and agreed upfront that reasonable babysitting duties and occasionally working a few hours on Friday if needed would be part of the contract so we don't pay any extra for it. If we were asking her regularly to work an excessive amount of extra hours babysitting or on her day off we would review that arrangement. You haven't said how long this maid has been working for you. If she's only recently joined and is trying to get an extra 500 dirhams out of you every time you go out for dinner with your husband, it's not a great start...
Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 12:27
500 aed a night, i will baby sit for you ;) I will also baby sit for me and the neighbors if that is the case LOL. I told her that I can get a baby sitter from the Burj for a cheaper rate.
Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 12:25
500 aed a night, i will baby sit for you ;) Me too, even 300 is enough for me
Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 12:23
500 aed a night, i will baby sit for you ;)
Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 12:20
I normally don't pay my full time live-in maid when she babysits after hours... she's at home anyway... and we don't have a crazy big house and she gets lots of rest time during the day when the kids are at school... we pay her quite fairly so I don't see the need to pay her additional amount of money over and above this for babysitting... if you have to pay 500dhs every night for babysitting you might as well hire a professional nurse to take care of your child during that time! some of these maids I tell u!!! anyway... I'm not some mean and cruel 'madam' so I better make this clear before getting a barrage of thumbs down hits... I rarely ask her to work on her day off (Fridays) and she gets that off every week... but if and when I do its usually because it's my child's birthday or some major family event that she is anyway a part of... and on those occasions I pay her an extra amount... if it's a full day then AED 250... if it's half day then AED 100...
Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 12:16
We pay AED 100 extra if she works on her day off but it isn't usually a full day. We pay extra for babysitting on a Friday night, the rest of the week is not paid for. For babysitting she gets around an extra 50. It sounds mean writing it down but she is happy and she gets lots of extra bits at other times of the year i.e. Christmas, Easter and her birthday. She will also get a bit extra at the end of the Summer as DD has been around a lot more (at Summer Camp most days but shorter days than school).

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY