First visit to Sri Lanka - advice? | ExpatWoman.com

First visit to Sri Lanka - advice?

Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 00:03
We have just back from Sri Lanka. Beautiful country with very warm and Friendly people. I do think you need to get yourself a driver and arrange it in advance We stayed in three different places DH planned the trip so spent quite a lot of time in the car which isn't ideal. We also took our own kid's booster seat as the company didn't supply them. I wouldnt bother taking usd next time. You will have an amazing holiday.
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 08:41
I forgot to mention Contrary to what some travel guides say there are ATMs everywhere and most take international cards. Travellers cheques don't seem to be widely accepted though we didn't try. Gabi
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 08:35
Hi We were there earlier this month...had a great time and def going back Don't forget that most nationalities can do an online application for the electronic visa ( costs around USD30 per person) which avoids the queue at the airport visa office. Armed with the electronic visa receipt you will be through immigration in quick time. Surface transport in SriLanka is still fairly slow except for the highway to Galle ( work is supposed to start next year to extend that to Hambantota). There's the new airport at Mattala in the south of the country which - depending on your plans - can make life A LOT simpler then trekking from and to Colombo International Airport. Mattala is served by Sri Lankan,Fly Dubai and ( from Abu Dhabi) Rotana Jet. Have fun!! Gabi
Latest post on 27 July 2014 - 16:28
Thanks everyone for your messages, great advice, and im very much looking forward to our trip
Latest post on 27 July 2014 - 12:53
Hi, We went for 6 days with two children, 8 & 11(october last year), we all had a great time. I have included our itinerary. So as you arrive at 5am I have suggested that you transfer directly to Kandalama with a stopover at Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage to see the elephants as well as have breakfast there. You can watch them bathing in the river and before that if you like you can feed the baby elephants milk bottles The following day you could visit Polonnaruwa and Minneriya national park. The following day you transfer to Kandy and en route you climb Sigiriya rock fortress and Dambulla cave temple. There are lots of monkeys in Dambulla. The following day in Kandy you could visit temple of tooth and the Royal Botanical Gardens. Then the next day you transfer to Pusellawwa to lavender house. On the second day if you wish you could drive to Nuwara Eliya for sightseeing. That?s only if you wish. On 17 Oct you could transfer directly to airport. The journey would take around 3.5 hours. Hotels: 11 Oct to 13 Oct ? Heritance Kandalama ? Dambulla ( 2 nights ? 1 Superior triple room) http://www.reddottours.com/86/heritance-kandalama-accommodation-profile.htm 13 Oct to 15 Oct ? Clove Villa ? Kandy ( 2 nights ? 2 Deluxe rooms) http://www.reddottours.com/633/clove-villa-accommodation-profile.htm 15 Oct to 17 Oct ? Lavender House ? Pusellawa ( 2 nights 2 Garden rooms) http://www.reddottours.com/263/lavender-house-accommodation-profile.htm Transfers and Activity Summary: 11 Oct On arrival transfer to Dambulla (3.5 hours ) En route visit Pinnawela Elephant orphanage 12 Oct Visit Polonnaruwa and Minneriya National park 13 Oct Transfer to Kandy ( 2.5 hours) Climb Sigiriya in the morning and Dambulla cave temples 14 Oct Visit temple of tooth relic and Royal Botanical Gardens 15 Oct Transfer to Pusellawa ( 2 hours) 16 Oct Visit Nuwara Eliya optional 17 Oct Departure transfer to airport ( 3.5 hours)
Latest post on 27 July 2014 - 12:49
mosquitoes and not to touch stray animals!
Latest post on 27 July 2014 - 12:35
My boyfriend and I traveled around Sri Lanka for 5 days. Since we had such little time we focused on the cultural stuff and didn't get to any of the beaches. You have more time so I suggest you do both. We found an incredible driver who took us around and planned everything out ahead of time with us including accommodations and meals. Here is his email: [email protected] Here are the big sites we were able to fit in: -Anuradhapura - one of the ancient capital cities -Polonnuruwa - the other ancient capital city -Minneriya National Park - big park with lots of elephants! (we didn't make it to Pinewalla elephant orphanage but I suggest you add that in as well) -Kandy - big city in central province (see Temple of the Tooth for sure) -Sigiriya Rock Fortress - enormous rock in the jungle that was part of ancient civilization... a true must see -Dambulla Caves - incredible statues and temples of Buddhism carved right out of the rock in the cave! -Nuwara Eliya - historic tea factory and plantation in south (originally built by the British over 100 years ago!) In between all of the big sites we did a lot of little museums as well as some Ayurveda, an elephant ride, a boat ride.... It was a packed few days but we loved everything we did! If you want to avoid some of the touristy stuff be sure to mention that. We were taken to a gem museum which was just a trap to buy gems, and a spice garden where you are pushed into buying herbal remedies. Other than that I suggest you let the guide take you to all of their usual spots and you will have a wonderful experience. Its very common to hire a driver in Sri Lanka so definitely look into that.
Latest post on 27 July 2014 - 11:46
Exchange money there, you get a better rate, we take US $'s. We tipped about 10% as we went along in restaurants/tuk tuks etc and at the hotel gave the tip to the management to distribute, just have to hope it got to the right people. Have fun, we are off there again in Septemeber - our 3rd visit, we love it there.
Latest post on 27 July 2014 - 11:38
Hi all, im taking my 2 boys to Sri Lanka very soon for 2 week trip (ages 10/13). We're off to Pitiwella - its our first visit so very excited, is there anything i should be aware of?? for example, tipping - how much (dont want to offend?), i've not exchanged any currency yet and someone told me there is a limit to how much we should take, should we take all Srilankan Rupees or some USD?? any advice appreciated. (suggested trips too would be great) Many thanks !

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY