a couple of practical questions | ExpatWoman.com

a couple of practical questions

Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 11:47

Eid Mubarak to all!

I am arriving next week, and I need a couple of info:
Can I take exam for driver's licence before I get my residency visa?
Can I buy a car on tourist visa?
Can I rent an apartment on tourist visa?
Thanks a lot.

Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 14:36
tnx. I've looked for short term rent apartments in Sharjah. Any suggestions for serviced apartments in Sharjah/Dubai (border)? I'll be driving on my international license and I have to take an exam (already checked at RTA).
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 14:34
1. No. But as a previous poster said, certain nationalities do not need a test - you can simply transfer the license. Check the RTA site for list of countries that qualify. You will also need an eye test (regardless whether you're taking the test or simply transferring), so you can get started on that while you wait for your visa to speed up the process a bit. 2. No. But you can rent a car if you have a license that is recognized here. 3. Yes and No. You can rent short term/month-to-month, serviced, or hotel apartments, without residency visa, but you cannot enter into an annual rental agreement. For annual contract you will typically need to pay with a check(s) from one of the local banks, so you will need to open a bank account first (also done only once you get residency visa).
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 12:14
If you have a driving licence in your home country check if it is transferable without taking an exam in Dubai. If you do hold a licence you can hire a car using a tourist visas. You can also rent a hotel / serviced apartment for the short term until you get your residency sorted out. <em>edited by Yorky on 28/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 28 July 2014 - 11:54
You definitely can't do the second and third without your residency visa and I very much doubt you can do the first either.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY