question about residency visa - please heeeeelp!!! | ExpatWoman.com

question about residency visa - please heeeeelp!!!

Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 15:37

I am being told different information about this from my future employer and my recruitment agent (with whom I have been really satisfied with so far):
I am currently waiting for my registration with MOH. Then I am supposed to apply for residency/employment visa. I can't distinguish the two - is that same or two different processes? If I come on tourist visa, can I wait for residency in UAE or I have to go home and then enter the country or can I just do "visa run"? What is the process for my kids? I have to apply them for schools, but can they be in UAE on tourist visa and wait for residency while there?
Normally I wouldn't push things and panic about it but the school is starting and I don't want to leave my family behind for one year if we miss the school start....
Is there any way these processes can be rushed (for a fee?)
TIA

Latest post on 31 July 2014 - 08:47
I have legalized my documents here, everything that I have been told to do. What is the difference in tourist and visit visa? I do not need any visa issued prior to arrival, I get one stamped at the airport, just not sure which one it is. Is there a different procedure for employment visa if one holds tourist or visit visa? Where would be the most convenient place to go for a week to wait for employment visa (home is too expensive)?
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 17:57
The GEMS school will be able to do assessments when the kids arrive too, there will be school places about so don't worry, there are lots of new schools opening this Autumn. I think you may need to chillax and enjoy a few more weeks at home in nicer weather than we currently have here.
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 17:41
I've applied for some GEMS schools online, haven't received any feedback yet. I wanted to schedule assessments for my kids. I found some short term renting apartments and planned to stay there before I could rent permanently. I booked flight tickets because I'm still waiting for the registration at MOH. Only then can my hospital apply for visa, and since I don't know when that is going to be (next 2-3 weeks) thought I would come and take care of these things on tourist visa. They just told me today that I need to exit the country for visa, and I'm supposed to fly out on Monday.
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 17:26
Did you choose a school? Do you know where you're going to stay? I'd contact schools to see which schools still have places
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 17:24
I would wait but do apply for school places for your children, even if they can't start on Day one of the new term, the school start dates vary a lot and I know some are not until the 2nd week in September. Have you had all your documents notarised/legalised/attested? This often takes time too.
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 17:24
I'm from Croatia. In another words, I better not come until I get my visa... I have already booked our tickets... Wanted to get everything set for school... I'm in real trouble now. Any ideas? I'd wait & change the tickets dates, schools are close anyway, they will not open until mid August. They can't start the visa process until Sunday as it's Eid holidays here & the immigration & labour are close.
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 17:19
I'm from Croatia. In another words, I better not come until I get my visa... I have already booked our tickets... Wanted to get everything set for school... I'm in real trouble now. Any ideas?
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 17:12
It takes a week to 10 days for an employment visa to get issued once you leave the country, they can't apply for it if you are on a tourist visa in the country. Earlier it used to work by paying extra, but since Jan I guess the rules change & you have to leave. & tourist visa is different than a visit visa. We usually send our employees to Kish, but in your situation, I'd go back home .
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 17:04
What passport do you hold?
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 16:56
My future employer just emailed me and told me that if I come on tourist visa, I need to exit the country for 15 days to get my residency visa! Can this be true or are they just playing me? Has anyone got their residency visa while in the UAE?
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 16:55
All companies vary in how long their employment visas take, where I work they are very effiecient and generally from submitting the application we receive the visa within 7 working days, but I know some places take ages. You can work once your employment visa has been issued as your residency is essentially under process, to work on a visit visa is illegal. Most companies will not allow anyone to start until the visa is ready. You should not arrange your flights over here until your employment visa has been received. Good luck with the school applications!
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 16:16
Thanks a lot, this is a big relief since flying back home is a huge expense for us. But it seems that my company doesn't want to pay higher fee for this and that's why they want us back. I will try to arrange that they take it off of my first salary. I have another question: when can I start working? Do I have to wait for residency or is it enough that it is applied for? How long does it take to get employment visa?
Latest post on 30 July 2014 - 15:51
A company has to apply for the employment visa, these are usually online visas and valid for 2 months from issuance. When you get here you must then have a medical (chest xray and blood test) and the get the biometrics for your ID card done, then your passport will be submitted to the immigartion department by the company and your residency visa stamped into your passport (this takes 3-5 days normally). You can not begin the process of sponsoring your kids until your visa has been fully processed and in the case of non free-zone companies the labour card issued. However there is absolutely nothing to stop you applying for school places for your child(ren), in fact most people do this months before arriving, and lots of kids begin school here with just a visit visa - schools understand about visa laws and whilst they will nag you for a copy of the kids residency visa they will be happy to be told they are in process, provide a copy of your residency for the time being. You should not have to return to your home country if you do arrive on a visit visa, but it does cost the company a bit more to process your employment visa if you are already here. Post again if you have any more questions, i hope this information has helped a little! CP x

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY