facilities for disabled | ExpatWoman.com

facilities for disabled

Latest post on 01 August 2014 - 17:49

hey!

I am on resident visa. My brother is disabled and cannot walk. He is coming over to visit me. Are there any facilities for disabled that I can use to facilitate his trip in dubai? please let me know where I can find second hand wheelchairs? do malls in dubai and places like jumeira walk provide wheelchairs?

Latest post on 02 August 2014 - 09:15
This is very current problem for me, having fractured my ankle in June I am still immobile and relying upon a wheelchair to go anywhere. Wheelchairs are quite cheap to buy here, and I don't know of anywhere to hire one, go and look in Life Pharmacy on Al Wasl Rd, on the corner by Emirates NBD, they have quite a range (according to my DH who went). I find if I stick to new malls like MoE, Marina Mall etc. the disabled facilities are good, also top hotels like The Address, Marriott's are built to accommodate wheelchairs, although the mirror in the loo at The Address Marina is placed too high to see yourself! Getting in and out of cars and taxis has been easy and all the drivers have been very kind and helpful, in fact people everywhere have been amazing, the concierges in my building can't do enough for us and if the fire alarm goes off they know I will call them to check it is a false alarm as I couldn't get out of the building unaided! I am sure your brother will have a great holiday here, it will just take a little planning to get him about comfortably. Have a fun reunion! <em>edited by Cornish Pixie on 02/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 August 2014 - 08:30
I read an article about special beach wheelchairs that can be wheeled into the sea and then float - apparently available on Jumeira beach but it didn't say where. Not seen down in J1 but possibly UmSuqeim?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 01 August 2014 - 19:53
Yes malls do provide wheelchairs, I wouldn't know where you can get one for the entire trip though sorry. With regards to transport, you can order taxis with disables facilities, metro stations have lifts so easy to use. Other than that I am not sure how disabled friendly Dubai is to be honest.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY