GEMS American Academy | ExpatWoman.com

GEMS American Academy

Latest post on 04 August 2014 - 22:32

We've been invited for assessments at GEMS American Academy next week when we arrive in Doha but I'm a bit concerned because I can't seem to get a clear answer from them on whether or not they have received their final license from the SEC. I've checked the SEC website and can't seem to find a definitive answer, never mind the fact that we have no idea what the fees will be.

Considering how long it takes things to happen in the Middle East coupled with the fact that the assessments are taking place in a hotel and not on-site, I'm losing confidence that our kids will be able to start school in Doha in September. Has anyone heard anything about this school or know where to get information?

Thanks!

Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 22:44
Hi Peace, That was the first thing that caught my attention too! Because I, too, was expecting it to be as expensive as the one in UAE. I'm not sure what the reason exactly is but we intend to go to one of their open house events and tours. As you said, I'm just glad my son has a place there. He's going into 1st grade. Let's hope things go smoothly and we can get this headache out of the way :)
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 22:25
Hi khokha2, We got that email today as well, and I have to say it's the first thing I came across in Doha that ended up costing less than I had anticipated! I thought the fees would be in the same range as the GEMS American Academies in the Emirates which are 65k+ Will your child/ren be enrolling there? We have a daughter entering 2nd grade and a son entering 1st grade. So happy that the ball is rolling! Was about to enter panic mode earlier this week.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 19:36
We got an email from them today and these are the fees they included in their message: KG1: 32400 KG2: 32400 Grade 1: 38100 Grade 2: 39500 Grade 3: 39500 Grade 4: 42100 Grade 5: 43400 <em>edited by khokha2 on 21/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 12:48
Excellent news RachelA! Thanks for the confirmation :)
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 12:10
I checked in with a former colleague who is part of GEMS senior management, and he confirmed that the license has been issued and they are set to open. I imagine that the lack of info on fees means they are still waiting for SEC approval.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 11:15
We called GEMS earlier in the week for an update and they said they have received the school license from the SEC but as of today their website has yet to be updated and there has been no official announcement. Fingers crossed on school fees!
Latest post on 12 August 2014 - 08:07
Hi - Have you seen this latest list of new schools from the SEC? GEMS is not on it but it does say they will announce more schools later in the week. http://dohanews.co/sec-lists-names-15-new-schools-opening-fall-qatar/
Latest post on 11 August 2014 - 21:45
Thanks for your response Luton We went for the assessment today and they seemed quite frustrated at the situation, but as a parent no matter who the hold up is by, its frustrating not to have a confirmed school spot for our kids this late in the game. I'm not sure if its the right thing to wait it out with them, or secure places at Cardiff Int'l School, which is the only school that has offered us a place, although its not what we are looking for. I guess this is my lesson not to be such a stickler for plans and preparation in Doha!
Latest post on 11 August 2014 - 11:33
Hi I know it's been difficult for GEMS to get hold of the licence, but that's through no fault of their own they still have an opening date for the beginning of September all being well this should be fine. The st Regis has been their base for enrolment and will be for some time this is because their official office is still under construction, however the school is ready to go (the office is off site) I would encourage you to go the assessment and speak with them face to face,