Skinceuticals | ExpatWoman.com

Skinceuticals

Latest post on 08 August 2014 - 15:17

Hi Ladies

Would any of you recommend the 'adult anti-acne system' by Skinceuticals?
I am suffering from breakouts for a month now and was wondering whether this would work.

TIA

Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 03:44
What would you recommend from Paula's choice, for acne and to clear away the imperfections.Really appreciate your input celticcavegirl! Thank You Sorry, been away! The 2% BHA liquid or lotion plus a retinol night serum or face cream. Proactive also do a good night cream called 'clarifying night cream" They have a whole range specially for acne but it's for the more typical teenage type and oily skin PC have very good customer service reps on livechat so you can always ask and get advice
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 11:15
Hi Dora1, I would recommend that you read some reviews of laser treatments before ever putting a laser on your face, scary stuff... <em>edited by sunset1 on 29/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 12 August 2014 - 05:53
The scars are old acne scars and a small patch of pigmentation closer to the ear Noted everything and thanks a lot again.Also will try & cut down on dairy products :( If they're physical scars (indents in the skin) then they will need more than skin creams The options 1) subscision - this is when an aesthetician or cosmetic dermatologist physcially breaks the bands of scar tissue with a needle. Can be combined with topical therapies 2) laser - I think the best for physical scars is fraxel re:pair 3) microneedling (dermaroller or better, dermastamp) Needs to be quite deep to work on physical scars and the general advise is to get anything deeper than 0.5mm done in a clinic. However they charge quite silly prices so you could try and give it a go at home but you will probably need to buy EMLA numbing cream as it is painful at the depth needed (1-2mm) to improve physical scars 4) Infini - this is a new treatment that is a combination of microneedling and radio frequency. It uses insulated microneedles to deliver the RF to a very specific depth (unlike traditional RF). I don't know if it's available in Dubai yet though All can be combined with topical treatments like retinoids and platelet rich plasa Some people, if their acne is caused by high testosterone, take something called spironolactone Generally reducing inflammation and inflammation causing foods (sugar, alcohol, omega 6 fats) will help...a little What would you recommend from Paula's choice, for acne and to clear away the imperfections.Really appreciate your input celticcavegirl! Thank You
Latest post on 11 August 2014 - 00:51
The scars are old acne scars and a small patch of pigmentation closer to the ear Noted everything and thanks a lot again.Also will try & cut down on dairy products :( If they're physical scars (indents in the skin) then they will need more than skin creams The options 1) subscision - this is when an aesthetician or cosmetic dermatologist physcially breaks the bands of scar tissue with a needle. Can be combined with topical therapies 2) laser - I think the best for physical scars is fraxel re:pair 3) microneedling (dermaroller or better, dermastamp) Needs to be quite deep to work on physical scars and the general advise is to get anything deeper than 0.5mm done in a clinic. However they charge quite silly prices so you could try and give it a go at home but you will probably need to buy EMLA numbing cream as it is painful at the depth needed (1-2mm) to improve physical scars 4) Infini - this is a new treatment that is a combination of microneedling and radio frequency. It uses insulated microneedles to deliver the RF to a very specific depth (unlike traditional RF). I don't know if it's available in Dubai yet though All can be combined with topical treatments like retinoids and platelet rich plasa Some people, if their acne is caused by high testosterone, take something called spironolactone Generally reducing inflammation and inflammation causing foods (sugar, alcohol, omega 6 fats) will help...a little
Latest post on 10 August 2014 - 18:49
Just be wary of the beauty treatment centres in the UAE. I had a terrible experience 2 years ago with a well known skin care clinic who did micro dermabrasion on my face - ( I was doing diamond micro at the same clinic in Abu Dhabi and had excellent results) ... the lady who did my treatment only did a short course in beauty and really had no idea what she was doing - I ended up with scarring on both cheeks that has taken years and multiple trips to Europe to have it corrected. Most beauty therapists in the UAE have no idea what they are doing or how to advise you. I am making a broad statement after 2 years of research into the facials at various spa's in the city. Recently I went to Europe to sort another bout of acne out and the therapist - who had owned the salon for 40 years and was the best in the city had the following to say regarding my adult acne: Causes: 1. Genetics 2. Hormones 3. Cholesterol 4. Diet 5. Regime The best thing to do is have a rigorous skin care regime including a scrub and deep cleansing mask. She prescribed Norvena products to me ... she also told me to cut out greasy food as this could be creating cholesterol and most importantly to wash my face every night. Most importantly she told me not to pick them at all as I was not removing all of the blocage when I picked and that created an infection with an even bigger blockage. For scars I did a couple of chemical peels and I use Benzac AC - it's only AED10 at the pharmacy - start with the 2% and work your way up - it's one of the best products I have used. HTH Thank you Commentator2012, really appreciate your feedback too.
Latest post on 10 August 2014 - 18:45
Thanks so much for the detailed explanation Celticcavegirl! I breakout once a month but these days I think its due to the change in weather(i'm currently out of Dubai) If you break out monthly then it's hormonal. It's the same for me any many other women with adult acne. Cutting dairy helps mine enormously. So does the pill but I can't tolerate that I will try Differin first and what would you recommend for scars? What kind of scars? Pigment? For new spots after they've closed and are healing, a silicone scar get or La Roche Posay Cicaplast helps with the healing. I also use a copper peptide serum If it's leftover pigmentation from spots then you need to get the skin to turn over more quickly. A combination of exfoliant (BHA is best, I recommend Paula's choice 2% fluid but you have to ship it in) and a retinoid will help do this (retin A you can't buy any more but you can get it online, or you can use a retinol containing serum. Differin is a weak retinoid) If it's a physical scar then you will probably need to laser it or get a chemical peel, or microneedling which works in a similar way to laser It it's pigment that won't go then IPL or chemical peel The scars are old acne scars and a small patch of pigmentation closer to the ear(could be due to waxing) Noted everything and thanks a lot again.Also will try & cut down on dairy products :(
Latest post on 10 August 2014 - 11:08
Just be wary of the beauty treatment centres in the UAE. I had a terrible experience 2 years ago with a well known skin care clinic who did micro dermabrasion on my face - ( I was doing diamond micro at the same clinic in Abu Dhabi and had excellent results) ... the lady who did my treatment only did a short course in beauty and really had no idea what she was doing - I ended up with scarring on both cheeks that has taken years and multiple trips to Europe to have it corrected. Most beauty therapists in the UAE have no idea what they are doing or how to advise you. I am making a broad statement after 2 years of research into the facials at various spa's in the city. Recently I went to Europe to sort another bout of acne out and the therapist - who had owned the salon for 40 years and was the best in the city had the following to say regarding my adult acne: Causes: 1. Genetics 2. Hormones 3. Cholesterol 4. Diet 5. Regime The best thing to do is have a rigorous skin care regime including a scrub and deep cleansing mask. She prescribed Norvena products to me ... she also told me to cut out greasy food as this could be creating cholesterol and most importantly to wash my face every night. Most importantly she told me not to pick them at all as I was not removing all of the blocage when I picked and that created an infection with an even bigger blockage. For scars I did a couple of chemical peels and I use Benzac AC - it's only AED10 at the pharmacy - start with the 2% and work your way up - it's one of the best products I have used. HTH
Latest post on 09 August 2014 - 23:05
Thanks so much for the detailed explanation Celticcavegirl! I breakout once a month but these days I think its due to the change in weather(i'm currently out of Dubai) If you break out monthly then it's hormonal. It's the same for me any many other women with adult acne. Cutting dairy helps mine enormously. So does the pill but I can't tolerate that I will try Differin first and what would you recommend for scars? What kind of scars? Pigment? For new spots after they've closed and are healing, a silicone scar get or La Roche Posay Cicaplast helps with the healing. I also use a copper peptide serum If it's leftover pigmentation from spots then you need to get the skin to turn over more quickly. A combination of exfoliant (BHA is best, I recommend Paula's choice 2% fluid but you have to ship it in) and a retinoid will help do this (retin A you can't buy any more but you can get it online, or you can use a retinol containing serum. Differin is a weak retinoid) If it's a physical scar then you will probably need to laser it or get a chemical peel, or microneedling which works in a similar way to laser It it's pigment that won't go then IPL or chemical peel
Latest post on 09 August 2014 - 09:04
Skinceuticals is pretty good brand and on the whole their stuff works quite well...but it's mega expensive and some of the formulations are lacking so they're rather hit and miss Try and get to the bottom of what's causing your acne, as there isn't a one-size-fits all approach for adult acne For example, I get some spots but I have very dry skin, and a lot of acne regimes try to reduce oil so are no good for me. I get the spots because my pores are very tight and easily blocked Try 2 months on a dairy-free diet and daily use of Differin, which is a retinoid specifically for acne that you can buy in the pharmacy for 25-30 aed. Proactive also do a good cream called 'clarifying night cream' that has a good mix of BHAs and retinoids Looking more closely at the skinceuticals kit - LHA cleansing gel and LHA toner effectively are doing the same thing - chemical exfoliation with hydroxy acids. Yes, this does help acne but there are better products. Also, you do not know how your skin is going to react to this and different skins have different 'tolerances' for AHAs and BHAs. My skin is fine with a 2% BHA, but a 10% AHA made my skin horribly irritated and flaky The Age+Blemish defence serum works in a similar vein but the main solvent in this is ethanol, which is drying and irritating - would definitely avoid I would recommend Paula's Choice or Proactive instead Thanks so much for the detailed explanation Celticcavegirl! I breakout once a month but these days I think its due to the change in weather(i'm currently out of Dubai) I will try Differin first and what would you recommend for scars? I have combination skin and its a little dry around the sides of the nose.I have quite a lot of scars now and would like something for that. Thanks once again,really appreciate your feedback Have a great day!
Skinceuticals is pretty good brand and on the whole their stuff works quite well...but it's mega expensive and some of the formulations are lacking so they're rather hit and miss Try and get to the bottom of what's causing your acne, as there isn't a one-size-fits all approach for adult acne For example, I get some spots but I have very dry skin, and a lot of acne regimes try to reduce oil so are no good for me. I get the spots because my pores are very tight and easily blocked Try 2 months on a dairy-free diet and daily use of Differin, which is a retinoid specifically for acne that you can buy in the pharmacy for 25-30 aed. Proactive also do a good cream called 'clarifying night cream' that has a good mix of BHAs and retinoids Looking more closely at the skinceuticals kit - LHA cleansing gel and LHA toner effectively are doing the same thing - chemical exfoliation with hydroxy acids. Yes, this does help acne but there are better products. Also, you do not know how your skin is going to react to this and different skins have different 'tolerances' for AHAs and BHAs. My skin is fine with a 2% BHA, but a 10% AHA made my skin horribly irritated and flaky The Age+Blemish defence serum works in a similar vein but the main solvent in this is ethanol, which is drying and irritating - would definitely avoid I would recommend Paula's Choice or Proactive instead Thanks so much for the detailed explanation Celticcavegirl! I breakout once a month but these days I think its due to the change in weather(i'm currently out of Dubai) I will try Differin first and what would you recommend for scars? I have combination skin and its a little dry around the sides of the nose.I have quite a lot of scars now and would like something for that. Thanks once again,really appreciate your feedback Have a great day!
Latest post on 08 August 2014 - 20:23
Skinceuticals is pretty good brand and on the whole their stuff works quite well...but it's mega expensive and some of the formulations are lacking so they're rather hit and miss Try and get to the bottom of what's causing your acne, as there isn't a one-size-fits all approach for adult acne For example, I get some spots but I have very dry skin, and a lot of acne regimes try to reduce oil so are no good for me. I get the spots because my pores are very tight and easily blocked Try 2 months on a dairy-free diet and daily use of Differin, which is a retinoid specifically for acne that you can buy in the pharmacy for 25-30 aed. Proactive also do a good cream called 'clarifying night cream' that has a good mix of BHAs and retinoids Looking more closely at the skinceuticals kit - LHA cleansing gel and LHA toner effectively are doing the same thing - chemical exfoliation with hydroxy acids. Yes, this does help acne but there are better products. Also, you do not know how your skin is going to react to this and different skins have different 'tolerances' for AHAs and BHAs. My skin is fine with a 2% BHA, but a 10% AHA made my skin horribly irritated and flaky The Age+Blemish defence serum works in a similar vein but the main solvent in this is ethanol, which is drying and irritating - would definitely avoid I would recommend Paula's Choice or Proactive instead

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY