Egypt | ExpatWoman.com

Egypt

Latest post on 12 August 2014 - 18:37

We are planning a holiday to Egypt in December. I think Cairo is still not safe to visit. But how about Alexandria and Sharm El Sheikh, is it safe to visit? Also we have 2 LO, is Alexandria good for kids?
TIA

Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 13:25
The main issue is in Cairo and not all places. I ve been in north coast last month weather was amazing and very safe. I went to gouna and ein sokhna in April was amazing and safe. Especially gouna. Last year I ve been to sharm elsheikh oct 2013 was very good, the resort had kids club we enjoyed our time
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 17:28
Good to see you again Shaks, was just wondering the other day how things were in Egypt. Stay safe and well!
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 17:16
I agree with RH77 and Shaks. love Cairo. I went in 2010 and 2012. I haven't been since, but my husband works there and is there now. But because of the plunge in tourism, going to the Khan market in Cairo, or the Pyramids at Giza--you will be bombarded. As far as danger from "clashes," there is the isolated incident like this http://indianexpress.com/article/world/middle-east-africa/4-killed-17-injured-in-clashes-in-egypt/ DH was told to stay home and not go out that night. Many of the locals know ahead of time when these things are going down and they are rare. A few expats we know are getting out, but that has more to do with their offsite work toward the western desert than not liking the scene in Cairo or feeling like its dangerous. That said, DH spent a weekend in Alex during Ramadan for a company weekend and loved it. Night and day to Cairo. Much different scene. There has been some incidents of tourists getting sick from poor food handling practices at these resorts, though, so something to bear in mind. Would I go? Yes, to any of the places you mentioned. I'll be commuting back and forth and can't wait :) I think I still would if I had LO's--but I hesitate to recommend that for anyone else. Personal decision! What are your other ideas, any?
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 16:21
The best thing to do is look at the FCO advice available on line. It's always up to date. There is tight security in Egypt but Sharm is still considered safe to travel.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:48
I think the news are totally over rated! My friend just came back from a holiday in Egypt and they absolutely loved it! There is some issues in Cairo (mainly on Fridays) , but Alex, Sharm and Shokhna are very quite. Rates are really low there due to political issues, so it looks like a great deal too.
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 14:31
We are in Egypt right now and there is no problem. We are in our home in Sokhna and we also spent some time in Cairo. I think any big US city is more dangerous than Cairo. The floods in Egypt happened 3 month ago ! Right now the chances of rain is nil! I think Gouna, Hurgada, Sharm is safe. For me the danger is the way people drive both in cities and on the highway !
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 13:55
At work have stopped travel to Egypt for any of our staff because the risk far out weighs the need for them to be there. We have based our decision on current travel advice from the home countries of all our team and we regularly reassess the warnings. Unless their presence is absolutely necessary then no travel, if they have to go there is a car arranged for all travel to meetings and they are not allowed to go to any of the tourist areas.
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 13:29
Even thou Sharm is lovely, we were there afew years back and on the night we left there was a bomb blast in a highly populated tourist area. Not sure at this present time if its the place to go due to safety issues.
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 13:17
As much as I love Egypt and used to visit often in the past, I wouldn't consider it now for holidays, especially with 2 LO ones as the OP has. Waiting for things to settle down for further visits.
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 13:07
I was an Expat in Cairo before the revolution and we usually going back to see friends one/twice a year. At the moment i would avoid Cairo and specially Alexandria and any destination at the Sinai. At the Sinai there were 2 months ago very dangerous floods and areas like Taba Heights, Dahab und parts of Sharm got destroyed. Additionally the situation in the north of Sinai will not help. If i have to choose a place for family holidays then only El Gouna (its a closed compound, even when its a city) or Aswan/Luxor.
Latest post on 12 August 2014 - 19:04
We are planning a holiday to Egypt in December. I think Cairo is still not safe to visit. But how about Alexandria and Sharm El Sheikh, is it safe to visit? Also we have 2 LO, is Alexandria good for It's very rainy and windy in Alexandria during December. I Wudnt advise visiting during dec or jan or February. Sharm el sheikh wud b much better, lovely weather and lots of activities for children Check out hurghada too esp elgouna..it's lovely How abt Luxor and Aswan? But might me a bit boring for the children Cairo is now much safer but sharm wud b much Safer.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY