Copper IUD....any experiences? | ExpatWoman.com

Copper IUD....any experiences?

Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 09:40

Hi Ladies,

I have a consultation for the copper IUD. I've chosen a doctor based on some experiences shared in the past on this forum. However, I searched for threads here regarding feedback once they've had the copper IUD for while--and come up empty.

Has anyone reading this personally used this method of contraception and care to share their good/bad experience?

TIA x

Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 23:16
I've had the copper IUD Nova T for a year now, after 25 years on the pill I needed a hormone free contraception. I have been pleased with it, no pain, slightly heavier period. The only con for me is that my acne came back with a vengeance!
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 18:17
Thanks very much yanachka and pollydxb1!
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 13:48
Not as much as I expected, to be honest but I'm wary of the experience of the practitioners. I think it's one of those things that have to be implanted properly to have a high success rate. I'm looking really hard at getting off hormonal birth control (been on it since I was 16 and have had crazy side effects) but the possibility of falling pregnant scares the bejesus out of me. The other option (for me) is sterilisation which I'd have to get privately back in the UK. I think the latter might be my final option.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:44
the first time i used it was fine for 4 yrs , bear in mind that your period will be heavier than what you are used to & possibly more painful. The second time i used it, i fell pregnant after 3 years so i dont really trust it anymore. the cost was 1500 @ Medcare.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 11:08
This is really interesting, thank you ladies. Does anyone have a ballpark cost for this? Contraception prices make me pretty nervous in the UAE. I was quoted 1500 at Dubai London Clinic. The Consultation/initial visit is 500, the fitting to be done later is 1000. I don't think this includes the price of the device itself--I didn't get that far. Other places I checked like Healthbay Polyclinic, and others recommended on EW were 2000-3000
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 10:16
This is really interesting, thank you ladies. Does anyone have a ballpark cost for this? Contraception prices make me pretty nervous in the UAE.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 16:47
Hello ladies, My experience with copper iud wasn't the best. I had heavier periods and constant spotting in between. I also had periods more often. I don't know if iud was the cause for my hormonal changes or the fact that I was on the pill prior to that, but my problems started the month I had iud. I was told different things by different docs. I had it removed 4 years later. Everyone is different and their body reacts differently. I think it depends on many factors. If I had to do it again then I'd remove it if things wouldn't settle in the first few months to a maximum a year (it was still better than the pill which made me moody, sick to my stomach, I call it being constantly pregnant syndrome, and God knows what else it did to me. With birth control I believe everyone should find what suits them. @DubaiJenny when I had mine I bought it from a pharmacy.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 13:28
I put it off, too, Polly. For several reasons. Should it so happen to be that I even *need* birth control, though, I will opt for the copper IUD. My hormones are in a good place and I don't care to mess with them.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 13:15
My Gyn has suggested I have a coil, but I have put it off, as some of you mentioned, as well as my mother she got pregnant on the coil!! But I do recommend her services - Suzanne Salihi at the White House Clinic http://www.thewhitehouseclinic.com/#!gynae-scans/c14dv
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 12:29
Hello EW, can you please point me in the right direction to purchase a copper IUD? I had a baby in June (happy, healthy baby boy!) and now wish to go back onto birth control. My gyn at American Hospital suggested the copper IUD a few weeks ago but now they out of stock and don't seem to know when they will come back in stock (typical Dubai); she suggested purchasing one else where and then she will do the insertion for me. Is this something you purchase in any pharmacy? Also, if anyone could recommend a good clinic for the procedure as well, that would be amazing. It never hurts to check out recommended docs/clinics. :) Thank you :)
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 11:23
Okay - here goes..... I have had Mirena and then switched to copper IUD. Both were fitted during menstruation - about day 5 as that is when it is least painful to fit apparently. I had Mirena removed as the hormones didnt agree with me at all - made me feel very down, lacking energy etc but they made period very light which was the only advantage for me. (In the past I could only take old school combined pill as newer mini pills Depo provera etc just dont agree with me. If you are okay with DP etc Mirena may work for you. I switched to Copper IUD and yes the flow is heavier first day or 2 of period but feel a million times better knowing no hormones in my body! I would highly recommend copper IUD. As for the fitting experience - takes 2 minutes and then its like a period cramp for an hour or 2 after but nothing worse than that. I had my child via c section and have a very small cervix and had no issue. I had both fitted at HealthBay. Hope this helps......... Good luck with your decision.
Latest post on 16 August 2014 - 18:03
People will always look at you suspiciously if you say you dont want children. Dont be too bothered. From 35yrs old your fertility rate starts dropping dramatically anyways. They are probably worried you might change your mind when its too late to have children. Please do post your IUD experience. I am also considering getting one.
Latest post on 16 August 2014 - 16:08
Okay...I guess I will give my feedback next week. I got my wires crossed somewhere; this particular doctor only does insertions when one is menstruating, when the flow start to stop. I called so many clinics, and asked a ton of questions. Some clinics told me they simply do a blood test to make sure you are not pregnant. This was apparently not the one :) What was really nice is that the doctor said she would not charge the 500 consultation fee, and we'll just do it next time. Don't know if that's common or not, but I really appreciated it, being a cash patient. Businessbay,I took half of your advice. I took a Voltaren 75 but not the Augmentin...guess that was for the best in hindsight! Something else. I was of course asked if I have children. No. "When do you plan to start?" ...."We don't." The doctor looked at me like I was either crazy or kidding myself. I said "What?I am only 36 for crying out loud!" Still looking at me like I am nuts. Question: Is this truly highly unusual, to not have plans for children? Or is it nutty to be unconcerned either way at 36???
Latest post on 15 August 2014 - 23:34
Hope it goes well Beebers. Do let us know. Just in case this might be useful: My doc had told me beforehand to take Augmentin 1g (one tablet) and Voltaren 75 (one tablet) an hour before going in for the "fitting". Apparently really helps with any pain or risk of minor infection. Then I took another Voltaren that evening. Didn't feel any pain at all.
Latest post on 15 August 2014 - 20:15
Hey, thanks for sharing, businessbay. I also used the nuva ring for a few months. I stopped because I couldn't get it where I was living, and also, I smoke in fits and spurts and am over 35. Although my blood pressure is almost disturbing low, my sister had a blood clot, so I avoid anything with estrogen. This may also be TMI; the ring can pop out, frequently! I go in tomorrow for a consultation and *hopefully* a fitting. A fitting...now doesn't that sound nice? Like going to the tailor or something. I'm prepared it may downright suck, so I've made sure I've nothing to do but relax for the afternoon and evening. I am not sure if I will end up going with Mirena or the Copper coil, but I'll report my experience back here.
Latest post on 15 August 2014 - 19:52
You can have Mirena (don't know about the copper coil) if you haven't had kids. I just had one fitted and my (excellent) OB-GYN says she fits them on women who don't have kids. They used to say that if you hadn't pushed a baby out through your cervix then it wouldn't be wide enough to get a coil in (sorry if TMI). I have kids but born via C-section so I thought I wouldn't be able to have one but that's not true. I had Mirena fitted a week ago. Not exactly pleasant as an experience but certainly not unbearable- think having a smear test. I think the key is to have a really good, skilful OB-GYN that you trust to fit it. Time will tell what the hormones do but I've had Nuva Ring before and was absolutely fine so apparently that's a good thing for Mirena. (I do wish NuvaRing was available here- have to have Mirena because NuvaRing banned here for some stupid reason.)
Latest post on 14 August 2014 - 15:04
I think that was the way a lot of doctors used to think, around 20+ years ago. If you hadn't had a baby your body couldn't accept a coil !!! I know mine did ;) Well, to be fair--the FDA approved Mirena based on studies that were all inclusive of women who have had children--Bayer recommends it as such because of that. So it is confusing. Bayer even makes a smaller IUD now to market to women without kids. I don't think they have it here. But yeah--lol--I have had some gynes in the past that had very interesting "cautions" for me, based on zero medical evidence.
Latest post on 14 August 2014 - 14:29
Pretthihappy, that sounds like it was a lot to go through. I asked my last doctor about the having children yet bit, and he said that was a myth? I think that was the way a lot of doctors used to think, around 20+ years ago. If you hadn't had a baby your body couldn't accept a coil !!! I know mine did ;)
Latest post on 14 August 2014 - 14:27
Pretthihappy, that sounds like it was a lot to go through. I asked my last doctor about the having children yet bit, and he said that was a myth?
Latest post on 14 August 2014 - 12:08
I don't have any children, but a few years ago, my gyne told me I was a good candidate for an IUD. I have used nuvo ring, combo pills, Depo Provera injection, Ortho Evra patch. I had side effects from a few, and a few I am no longer a candidate for. Guess I will see which the doctor suggests based on the barrage of different hormones I have used, what the effects were, and so on. I'll report back on my experience in case it may help someone else in the future. Thanks again, ladies! EW'ers rock! Why do you have side effects from the others? Has your gynie done an ultrasound? You really should not have a coil before you have kids. Get a second opinion. None of the contraceptions worked with me either, I was bleeding with all of them and developed an iron deficiency because of it so I had the coil in the end after having a terrible time with the coil, my gynie only then did an ultrasound and I have fibroids thats why none of the other contraception agreed with me. They had to do surgery to remove it as it had moved. I have children already so it ok. Check it out properly.
Latest post on 14 August 2014 - 10:55
I don't have any children, but a few years ago, my gyne told me I was a good candidate for an IUD. I have used nuvo ring, combo pills, Depo Provera injection, Ortho Evra patch. I had side effects from a few, and a few I am no longer a candidate for. Guess I will see which the doctor suggests based on the barrage of different hormones I have used, what the effects were, and so on. I'll report back on my experience in case it may help someone else in the future. Thanks again, ladies! EW'ers rock!
Latest post on 14 August 2014 - 09:51
Thanks for your replies, ladies. :) I read up on the side effects-- well, that is to say, I came across a gazillion horror stories when I googled it.[url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php'>[img'>http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/unsure.gif[/img'>[/url'> I thought for sure there must be some people who don't hate it?? Hi MC x I had an awful time with the coil, when it was first fitted I was in so much pain, had to be put on tramadol. The every period hurt so bad and had spotting all the time. Have you had children already?
Latest post on 14 August 2014 - 09:23
I have had two Mirena coils fitted previously and would definitely recommend them. Once the first two months were over I never saw anything and even after the new one was fitted there was just a slight show for a couple of days till it settled down. <em>edited by Geordie expat on 14/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 14 August 2014 - 08:53
Yes I have and that was my experience... Much lighter flow, then only spotting, then none the last year mine was in. But you are right, the hormone effects vary so much with each person, so it might depend what, if any, OCs you've used in the past?
Latest post on 14 August 2014 - 08:51
Did you check into mirena? Yes, I have. Foremost I am interested in the IUD. I am leaning toward the copper because it is non hormonal. The one thing I have read over and over again is that the copper IUD makes bleeding heavier whereas the Mirena seems to make bleeding lighter, if not, disappear totally. One single injection of Depo Provera messed me up for a long time but I realize the active ingredient is different in Mirena. So I am a little scared of hormonal birth control. Have you used Mirena, Cherpie?
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 23:17
Another happy fan of the Copper IUD! I had it placed back in the States, kept it for about 3 years and removed before I came to Dubai. I remember feeling one strong cramp during placement and mild discomfort and spotting for the day and that was it. I don't remember a huge change in my period flow. Removal was also the same. I was very,very happy with it and am strongly considering getting it again.
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 21:27
Did you check into mirena? Yes, I have. Foremost I am interested in the IUD. I am leaning toward the copper because it is non hormonal. The one thing I have read over and over again is that the copper IUD makes bleeding heavier whereas the Mirena seems to make bleeding lighter, if not, disappear totally. One single injection of Depo Provera messed me up for a long time but I realize the active ingredient is different in Mirena. So I am a little scared of hormonal birth control. Have you used Mirena, Cherpie?
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 20:43
Did you check into mirena?
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 19:54
Thanks for your replies, ladies. :) I read up on the side effects-- well, that is to say, I came across a gazillion horror stories when I googled it.[url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php'>[img'>http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/unsure.gif[/img'>[/url'> I thought for sure there must be some people who don't hate it?? Hi MC x
Latest post on 13 August 2014 - 14:17
I got pregnant with it, though its the best if you get a good doctor. Maybe backache sometimes, but not that bad.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY