Why do I keep getting little holes at the bottom of y t shirts??? | ExpatWoman.com

Why do I keep getting little holes at the bottom of y t shirts???

Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 06:55

Ladies, it is driving me crazy.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

The hole is always at the bottom of my t shirt. I thought it was my belt but no, then I googled it and there are pages and pages on what people think it is. Silverfish, granite work tops.

Seriously does anyone know what is causing these holes? My new top is just a week old and already there is a tiny hole in the bottom of it!!!!

TIA

Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 14:22
It must be something to do with jeans buttons for me as since I started wearing jeggings (no buttons!) i don't have holes!!!
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 14:22
It must be something to do with jeans buttons for me as since I started wearing jeggings (no buttons!) i don't have holes!!!
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 13:32
Totally agree. Only t shirts, no polo shirts & not button shirts!!
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 09:13
OK so here's another poser. Why is it just t shirts and not polo shirts? All mine and DH's polo shirts are fine
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 07:31
So it seems after a day or so we are really none the wiser. It's always a small hole at the bottom of my t shirt and always in the same place. Doesn't matter if I hang up my t shirt or fold them away in a draw. Can't be a belt because I don't always wear one. Can't be the seatbelt because I don't drive & rarely take taxis Can't be granite work tops as I don't do the dishes Can't be moth balls as the holes would appear in random places & not always in the same spot Can't be vanish whilst washing as I don't use it So what on earth is it??? Would kove to get to the bottom of this as it seems it is not just I who is experiencing this but many others all with the same symptoms.
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 10:28
Moth Balls....... ruined new stuff aswell as old.
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 06:02
Nope, the jeans theory doesn't apply to me, nor the dish washing, and I've been driving for over 30 years and never experienced it, so don't think it's the seatbelts either. As Alismum said, they're always in the same place, so nor can it be the washing machine. I do, however, always hang my shirts the same way to dry, and the holes are always near where the shirts are pegged over the washing line, and I'm often shaking moths out of my washing when I bring it in, so I'm still gonna go with the moth theory until something better comes along :) If its moths than they would make holes in the back of your t-shirt as well as the front, if you have holes in the back I would say its def moths. But for me the holes are only in the front and at the bottom of the t-shirt near my waistline, its defiantly buttons on jeans or trousers causing this.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 18:33
Nope, the jeans theory doesn't apply to me, nor the dish washing, and I've been driving for over 30 years and never experienced it, so don't think it's the seatbelts either. As Alismum said, they're always in the same place, so nor can it be the washing machine. I do, however, always hang my shirts the same way to dry, and the holes are always near where the shirts are pegged over the washing line, and I'm often shaking moths out of my washing when I bring it in, so I'm still gonna go with the moth theory until something better comes along :)
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 17:06
http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic163307-something-is-eating-my-clothes.aspx We have discussed this before :) I haven't got a car, so can't be the seat belt for me. Also if it was the washing machine, zippers etc.. how come they are always in the same place (bottom of T.shirts). I don't use vanish or anything like that either. As for the kitchen tables, the counter tops are way above the area where they are on the shirts etc, so definitely not the kitchen, also DH hardly goes in the kitchen and he has them as well, also my son has them and he is bone idle. If it was silverfish or moths, then there would be holes all over, they wouldn't eat at the bottom of each T.shirt. I think ilovechoos theory about the button on the jeans rubbing on the bottom of T.shirts could be the reason.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:59
I suddenly started getting these holes all the time (and I mean ALL the time, in brand new clothes even, since I wash before I wear!) and discovered it was happening in the washing machine. Not having to do so much with what other items were in there (zippers, bras, buckles, etc) but the washing machine itself seems to be snagging the clothes somehow. The washing machine is about 2 years old but belongs to the landlord, so instead of investing any money on trying to fix, I started using mesh sacks to wash my clothes, the type recommended for lingerie, and ever since then no new holes. Not sure if this could be the reason behind anyone else's holes, but the washing machine turned out to be the culprit behind mine.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:51
Oddly, I happened across the answer to this lifelong mystery yesterday. It's from wearing a seat belt! Pull your shirt out from under your seat belt at your waist, and you won't get any more holes.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:47
http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic163307-something-is-eating-my-clothes.aspx
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:42
there was a thread about this before on EW. Years ago. Wasn't it attributed to moths? will go and search the EW archives for moth/hole threads instead of starting my chores. :D Any old excuse ;) <em>edited by Geordie expat on 17/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:41
there was a thread about this before on EW. Years ago. Wasn't it attributed to moths? will go and search the EW archives for moth/hole threads instead of starting my chores. :D
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:30
I had this problem for ages - and as I don't wear belts it obviously wasn't that..... If you're putting bras in the machine to wash with everything else make sure you do them up beforehand. I did this and no more holes :)
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:20
I am pretty sure I know what this is!! I have had this problem for years and its always bothered me, but I have been looking closely and I see that its only my t-shirts that I wear with jeans. My yoga t's and gym t's are never ever damaged with holes...... its the top button on your jeans, if your doing your pants up and you catch a part of your tshirt in the button and twist it, it creates a tiny tear in the cotton which just gets worse each time you wash and wear it. Fine cotton is the worst but it can happen with most types. Pay attention when your doing up your jeans and wearing a t-shirt and you will see that sometimes especially if your in a hurry you can get the shirt caught in your top button and then you pull it out and there you have it! You won't notice it until the first wash and then it becomes obvious. Edited to add: Check the location of the holes and you will see they are mostly very close to the area the top button on your jeans/trousers are. <em>edited by Ilovechoos on 17/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 14:29
I couldn't figure this out for the longest time until I saw my belt prong sticking out of one of the holes and another time, my zip tab "catching" my t-shirt. So now I make sure that my zip tab is locked down.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 14:08
I get them too!! Drives me insane, and I have NO IDEA why it happens. Definitely not down to washing with zip/metal logos/etc, because the little holes (usually 2 or 3) are ALWAYS in the same place, waist level. Sometimes happens on new tops that have only been worn a couple of times. As someone else mentioned, the tops are ones that I always wear with jeans (but I don't wear a belt) so it has to be connected to that. Just weird!
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 11:52
Let's just make this another "Wonder of the World" ;) I was told they happen because of catching on work tops while washing up, - don't do that any more. Make sure any zips in the washing machine are fastened as that can cause them, - don't wash anything with zips in same load. Even tried washing nothing but t and polo shirts with nothing else and it silll happens!! in your case - i would say cat and dogs. Yes, some could be put down to them, but there were some almost new ones that the pets hadn't even got close to where we found holes in them. And we can't even blame Dubai as it happened back in the UK too
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 11:43
Let's just make this another "Wonder of the World" ;) I was told they happen because of catching on work tops while washing up, - don't do that any more. Make sure any zips in the washing machine are fastened as that can cause them, - don't wash anything with zips in same load. Even tried washing nothing but t and polo shirts with nothing else and it silll happens!! in your case - i would say cat and dogs.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 11:42
Let's just make this another "Wonder of the World" ;) I was told they happen because of catching on work tops while washing up, - don't do that any more. Make sure any zips in the washing machine are fastened as that can cause them, - don't wash anything with zips in same load. Even tried washing nothing but t and polo shirts with nothing else and it silll happens!!
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 11:38
This happens to us too - we put it down to either hanging washing outside to dry or the washing machine - or the water in the washing machine! Given up now not having unholey t shirts!
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 11:27
Why would it be granite worktops? They are smooth?
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 11:25
I thought I was the only person to get these little holes. They are always in the same place. I also thought it was my belt but I also wonder if it could be if the t-shirt gets caught in the top of my jeans zip. I always wear these t-shirts with jeans so that is my best guess....
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 11:13
Has it been in the laundry with a little metal logo/motif? I have found a hole in a few of my things which a piece of metal from either itself or another garment has got caught up in the wash. The solution is to put items like that in one of those little mesh sacks before putting in the machine.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 10:51
Drives me mad & no idea why I get them either! One explanation I read was tiny splatters of hot oil from cooking causing the holes to develop...
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 10:45
Don't use vanish either!!
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 10:45
Do the dishes. What's that??
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 10:14
I got the holes too, and read somewhere that it might have sth to do with Vanish stain remover, or when you add it to your detergent in washing machine. Haven't used it anymore, and since then I haven't had many holes anymore.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 09:32
I get the holes but definitely have not done any dishes lately!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY