Cost of puppies , dog wanted | ExpatWoman.com

Cost of puppies , dog wanted

Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:07

Hi, all. We want to buy a puppy but I am shocked at how much they cost here, I know they expensive ones have probably come from actual breeders. But, we don't mind a cross breed. Anyone know where you can buy puppies that have brought up properly that are not too expensive? Don't want one that has been taken away from its mother too young. Or even if anyone knows someone who is to relocating and needs to find a home for their dog, think we would be open to taking on an older dog . Thanks

Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 13:33
Thanks to all of your advice, I convinced my husband to let us adopt and we did. Have a beautiful dog, we got him through SNIFF and I have no regrets. Definitely not worth buying when there so many loving dogs in need of a home. What a lovely ending :-)
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 13:00
Thanks to all of your advice, I convinced my husband to let us adopt and we did. Have a beautiful dog, we got him through SNIFF and I have no regrets. Definitely not worth buying when there so many loving dogs in need of a home.
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 23:06
Unless the seller can provide evidence of origin (and prove me wrong), all the expensive dogs here are from puppy mills outside the country. They are expensive because people make a living from importing and selling them. It will break your heart if you're puppy dies from some awful illness, (I know 2 different people that had this experience in Dubai). If you really have to have a pedigree puppy, please get one from a registered breeder and import yourself otherwise you are supporting these b@&£/?!s that exploit these poor animals to get rich :(
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 19:55
please do adopt ..we adopted 2
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 19:04
If you are buying a puppy in UAE expect to pay between 5,000 to 10,000. Then you have the costs of vaccinating, neutering and microchipping the puppy - probably another 3,000 (and the vaccinations are ongoing). If you get one of the puppy mill puppies (and you probably will) factor in the costs of dog behaviourists (as most puppy mill puppies are taken from their mothers too soon and as a result are improperly socialized and will probably have some behaviour issues, ranging from mild to extreme). Health issues/costs as well will most likely be a problem, the most frequent being parvo where the treatments will cost you about 10,000 and the puppy will probably die anyways after cruelly suffering. Genetic issues are more likely than not, hip displaysia, etc. etc. etc. Also, to relocate the puppy outside the UAE will cost more 1000s of dirhams, make sure you have enough money to cover those costs. As an expat, you could lose your job tomorrow and have to leave. Adopt - preferably a dog that is older than 2 years to avoid some of the health and behaviour issues. Otherwise, you better have deep pockets.
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 14:43
Wow, found your preferred breed, King Charles puppy up for adoption! Here's the link: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/10547509_10204531891277060_2716338317805620617_n.jpg
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 11:47
Lots of puppies in desperate need of homes with all the rescue organisations. I would say, go and look at some with an open heart and mind, as very often a dog chooses you and not the other way around. When I was looking for a dog, I visited a lady who was fostering loads of them, she did lots of rescues for Animal Action. The wee pup we took home, was a tiny runt, disabled and looked funny with most of his hair missing due to malnourishment etc. But he scooted into our laps and stared up at us and that was that. Now he is the most handsome, beautiful boy, with a super personality and temperament and his disability doesn't mean anything to him or us. Adopted dogs are ace. Plus, you know, mutts are dogs in their natural state. Pure breds are man-made, genetically altered freaks much of the time. <em>edited by FairyDust on 18/08/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 11:29
Thanks, ladies. Yes, you are all right, we should adopt one rather I feel the same deep down. I love king charles spaniel, I am going to try get to spinneys to have a look. You will find plenty of pure breed and designer breed pups and dogs up for adoption - not just mixed breeds.
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 10:31
Thanks, ladies. Yes, you are all right, we should adopt one rather I feel the same deep down. I love king charles spaniel, I am going to try get to spinneys to have a look.
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 10:04
just as the other ladies say please adopt - so many need homes ;-(
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 19:52
there was a beautiful brown & white king charles spaniel pup for adoption on the spinneys notice board in mercato, they are lovely dogs. I hope the poster is still up, it was about a month ago.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 19:49
Please, please, please adopt a puppy rather than buying one. There are many different welfare groups who have puppies and dogsled all breeds and sizes and of all age groups available for immediate adoption. Abandoned and abused pets is a huge problem in the UAE.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 16:45
We've got a big list here with contact details of all the animal welfare support groups on this page http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_charities_Animal_Charities_Rescue_Centres_Dubai_1249.aspx They all have puppies and dogs for adoption- there have been so many abandoned this year- it's such a shame- am sure you would find the perfect pet for you and be helping the rescue places out massively as they are inundated. Good luck!
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 16:26
Please contact Abu Dhabi Animal Action who have many wonderful dogs including puppies!! They have a very active facebook page PLEASE I beg you do not buy a puppy in Dubai. The ones in the pet stores are from factory puppy mills and horrible conditions. The ones people are selling, well you have no idea what you're getting, the health or genetic condition of the puppy
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 16:18
I don't know if this link will work but a lady posted a picture of a very lovely Lab pup on the BKC Facebook earlier today. https://www.facebook.com/groups/188028987947593/ If the link doesn't work but you'd like to look ROSIE2121 let me know and I will figure another way of sending you a picture and putting you in touch with the lady who rescued him.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 16:09
You could always try Dubai Animal Welfare Society (DAWS) Facebook page. I know that they have some puppies looking for foster/forever homes. <em>edited by Geordie expat on 17/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 16:07
Also have a look at SNIFF Facebook page (Strays Needing Interim or Furever Friends) they have just posted a couple of puppies, both small and larger dogs, that are in need of foster homes or forever homes.
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:18
Have a look through the albums of pics of both dogs and puppies available on the K9 friends fb page
Latest post on 17 August 2014 - 15:17
Hello Rosie! I would suggest that you think of adopting one instead of buying. There are many non profit organizations in UAE (like K9 friends, etc) where you will have very nice pups/ dogs which need forever home and love.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY