Newly pregnant, no insurance and paniking | ExpatWoman.com

Newly pregnant, no insurance and paniking

Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 11:48
Hi Englishgirl, That's a sensible plan too. At least you'll guarantee your own room here, rather than a ward of goodness knows who a la NHS. And here an obstetrician will deliver your baby, there it will most likely be a midwife. I've been here nearly 2.5years, from Hampshire/West Sussex. It's difficult to plan when hubby comes over, so that he doesn't miss the birth.... not quite the same via Skype. Unfortunately you've arrived here in summer, things are very different (much better) once we're past the hottest months so hang in there!
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 10:06
Hi Dubai Newbie, Glad to hear you're enjoying life as a mum - it's definitely a life changer I can imagine! We're still in the process of sorting things out and organising hospital cover etc so once that is done we will feel a bit more settled. Where abouts do you live? I'm in the Greens but we're thinking of somewhere bigger next year.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 09:46
Hi Britgirldubai, Things have settled a little. The freak out stage has dispersed and we're now coming to terms with it all... eek. I'm also considering going back to the UK for the delivery but I'm not keen on leaving my husband for 3 months and he doesn't want to miss the birth. I'm going to get a package at one of the hospitals and go from there I think - one step at a time. How long have you been in Dubai?
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 09:43
Congratulations! Hope you're settling into Dubai life and have started to enjoy the great news & stop panicking :) I found I was pregnant 2 months into a new job, but before the visa medical (slow PRO), so work found out pretty quickly as I had to explain why I couldn't have the xray. I'm 36, from the UK, this is my 1st pregnancy too (now 22weeks preg) and I also don't have any health insurance as it's not provided by my employer. After much contemplation I have decided to deliver in the UK as I know the health system better there, have family, and it won't cost anything. Hopefully by the time the baby & I return here my DH will have sorted health insurance via his work. I'm still in discussions with my employer about maternity leave etc, as I'm expecting the trip to take 3months minimum and am unsure about whether I'll be working immediately on my return. All my friends here are single girls from my party days, so I'm looking to make some new friends in a similar life stage... I'm going to go to EW coffee morning at Mercato on Tuesday. Good luck & I'm also happy to chat/help :)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 15:54
Hi Dubai Newbie, How are you? How are you finding life as a mum? It's always good to hear other people's stories. Be great to chat when you can :) Hello, I'm really good thanks. Well and truly settled into life as a mum. It's a life changer but a positive one! Have you worked out any answers for your situation yet? Hope things are less stressful for you now.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 12:02
Hi Dubai Newbie, How are you? How are you finding life as a mum? It's always good to hear other people's stories. Be great to chat when you can :)
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 18:00
Hi, I was in your same situation not so long ago (now have a 5 month old). You will definitely have to disclose the pregnancy at your medical so as not to have the X-ray. They then send you to the on-site doctor and you will have to do a pregnancy test to confirm the pregnancy. In terms of the insurance, I didn't have any either and luckily I had an uncomplicated pregnancy and birth. I purchased the antenatal and delivery package at Al Zahra Hospital and didn't end up with any extra out of pocket costs. The whole experience ended up very positive for me. However it was a big stress initially. Also happy to chat if you need.
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 14:57
Hello got it! :-)
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 14:43
Hi EG - I'm excited and nervous, but looking forward to being back in Dubai in a few months time! I am more stressed right now than anything so think I need a bit of family time with my Mum looking after me lol. Otherwise I think my pregnancy has been fairly normal - at times I felt like I was the sickest person in the world EVER but looking back it wasn't that bad. Luckily I have been OK since around the 5 month mark. Weeks 6-16 were pretty rough though! I did find the medial care here in Dubai to be less hands on than in the UK - in my experience its all very "if there's a problem we'll call you otherwise come back in 6 weeks" but in the end I sort of got used to it and relaxed into it. I think the Doctors vary a lot though! There's no way to send a PM unfortunately :-(
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 14:37
Got it! Thanks. Will drop you a mail x
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 14:27
There is no PM facility, but if you pop your email up for 10minutes I'll write it down (then you can delete it)
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 14:26
Hi coffee_mate, Thanks for replying :) That would be great. How are you feeling about the pregnancy? I'd love to know what you think of Dubai - you must like it as you've been here a long time. Is there a way of sending private messages on here? I can PM you my email if you want?
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 13:57
Hi Englishgirl - know exactly how you feel, that was me 7 months ago. In between jobs, DH's work visa not processed, took an age to get my residency sorted, then husband got stuck in his home country for 3 months - you name it, it happened! and then I found out I was pregnant, no insurance. Needless to say, I'm going home to give birth (UK). Not worth the risk of any complications here and losing all our savings on hospital bills. You could buy a reasonable package in a decent hospital, but it will be just that - a package only covering certain things. A c-section could set you back 20k plus all your ante natal and any extras (of which there are lots). Did all my ante natal with Al Zahara who were great and the package was reasonable. There are a few other threads on here about local insurance providers who may be able to cover you even though you are already pregnant (just do a search for 'pregnant no insurance' and you should be able to find them - I think Damam might offer this). I personally chose not to go down this route because I wanted to be with my family and I have no family except for DH here. I would advise you to be honest to your new company because yes, you would need to refuse the xray so they would find out. Be up front with them and see what their feedback is before you make any decisions. If they don't want you to join with them, you can go on your DH's visa. Its not what you had planned, but its about making the most of the situation. Fingers crossed you may be able to reach a compromise with them. I'm flying to the UK next week but if you wanted to meet up for some moral support this week then let me know your email and I will get in touch :-)
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 13:30
Hi Englishgirl, I just read your post and didn't want to dash off. I don't really know what to say except I'm a similar age, from UK, been in Dubai a long time and in my first pregnancy as well. If you feel overwhelmed, I'm happy to talk/meet. All the best
Latest post on 18 August 2014 - 13:22
Hi all, I've been in Dubai for around three months now. I've been searching for a job and have reached the final round of interviews - I'm pretty sure they are going to offer me the job in the next few days. Only problem is, I found out I was pregnant two days ago. I'm not on my husbands visa as I was waiting to have one processed with a company, I'm now in a dilemma because they will probably find out about the pregnancy when I do the medical tests, I'm guessing I will have to tell them in order to refuse the x-ray? I'm also freaking out because this was completely unplanned and we have no insurance. I've never been pregnant before and don't even know what I need to do or how to go about it.The cost implication may be huge but we don't want to go back to the UK, I feel like we've messed everything up - we had intentions of furthering our careers, saving money and laying foundations for our future :( I'm 34, so I'm not a young mum, however I'm completely clueless, hardy know anyone here and feel very alone. Has anyone been in this position, or can anyone offer any advice?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY