Maternity and the UAE Labour Law | ExpatWoman.com

Maternity and the UAE Labour Law

Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 14:26

Hi All

Does anyone know if the Labour Law has changed at all - or if it still stands that a woman is entitled to 45 days maternity leave at full pay (if having served 1 years employment service) including the period including her confinement and following her confinement (not 100% sure what that actually means).

And may be absent for 100 days without pay with a doctor's note?

And is entitled to 2 additional breaks in the day, neither of what can exceed 1/2 an hour?

Any update on men's paternity leave entitlement?

Thanks

P x

Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 10:04
Have you got some news Polly? :) haha nope :) just being prepared - need to get married first ;)
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 17:17
Have you got some news Polly? :)
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 15:15
As far as I'm aware, sadly nothing has changed. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though! Also, don't think there is any 'paternity leave' as per Labour Law. It's up to the individual company whether it's included in their policy or not. I believe Sharjah introduced it last year and extended their maternity leave to 3 months Nothing in the other Emirates though Any idea what the paternity leave is in SHJ? 3 days according to this article and 2 hours off for breastfeeding http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/government/sharjah-sultan-amends-laws-for-new-mothers-1.1352740 edited by sarahlou123 on 19/08/2014 Thank you :)
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 15:13
As far as I'm aware, sadly nothing has changed. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though! Also, don't think there is any 'paternity leave' as per Labour Law. It's up to the individual company whether it's included in their policy or not. Sadly it looks like you were right, no change - would be nice if they would! Not everyone has a maid and from what I see a lot of nursery won't take bundles of joy until they are 6 months old!
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 15:11
As far as I'm aware, sadly nothing has changed. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though! Also, don't think there is any 'paternity leave' as per Labour Law. It's up to the individual company whether it's included in their policy or not. I believe Sharjah introduced it last year and extended their maternity leave to 3 months Nothing in the other Emirates though Any idea what the paternity leave is in SHJ? 3 days according to this article and 2 hours off for breastfeeding http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/government/sharjah-sultan-amends-laws-for-new-mothers-1.1352740 <em>edited by sarahlou123 on 19/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 15:10
As far as I'm aware, sadly nothing has changed. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though! Also, don't think there is any 'paternity leave' as per Labour Law. It's up to the individual company whether it's included in their policy or not. I believe Sharjah introduced it last year and extended their maternity leave to 3 months Nothing in the other Emirates though Any idea what the paternity leave is in SHJ?
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 15:05
Hi All Does anyone know if the Labour Law has changed at all - or if it still stands that a woman is entitled to 45 days maternity leave at full pay (if having served 1 years employment service) including the period including her confinement and following her confinement (not 100% sure what that actually means). And may be absent for 100 days without pay with a doctor's note? And is entitled to 2 additional breaks in the day, neither of what can exceed 1/2 an hour? Any update on men's paternity leave entitlement? Thanks P x No paternity here 45 days is correct ( Freezones can be different) You can extend for sickness with a DR's note but it has to be a genuine cause I think you can also take an extra hour if you are breastfeeding. Most firms I have worked with let Mothers go home an hour earlier rather than take the hour during the day
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 15:03
As far as I'm aware, sadly nothing has changed. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though! Also, don't think there is any 'paternity leave' as per Labour Law. It's up to the individual company whether it's included in their policy or not. I believe Sharjah introduced it last year and extended their maternity leave to 3 months Nothing in the other Emirates though
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 14:56
As far as I'm aware, sadly nothing has changed. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though! Also, don't think there is any 'paternity leave' as per Labour Law. It's up to the individual company whether it's included in their policy or not.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY