Sri Lanka airport transfer | ExpatWoman.com

Sri Lanka airport transfer

Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 19:53

We are going to Sri Lanka in a few weeks and have been quoted a very high price for a transfer by our hotel in Bentota, can anyone advise me how much they would expect it to cost and if anyone could recommend a driver with a decent car that would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 15:10
A private vehicle for 2 people transfer to Bentota (estimated journey 3 hours) will cost you around 9500 LKR.
Latest post on 22 August 2014 - 15:01
You will get on well with her then as she is a Yorkshire Lass
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 21:50
Send a mail to [email protected], she is English and runs a tour business with her SL hubby. She's based in aluthgamma next door to bentota. Think her price from airport to bentota is 9000 LKR in A/C mini bus . Thanks Yorkshirerose, I am married to a Yorkshireman. I will definitely contact her!
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 20:51
Send a mail to [email protected], she is English and runs a tour business with her SL hubby. She's based in aluthgamma next door to bentota. Think her price from airport to bentota is 9000 LKR in A/C mini bus .
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 20:45
We are going to Sri Lanka in a few weeks and have been quoted a very high price for a transfer by our hotel in Bentota, can anyone advise me how much they would expect it to cost and if anyone could recommend a driver with a decent car that would be wonderful. Thanks!
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:28
No, I think I will possibly stay at the same hotel, all the staff are either ex Jumeirah or Crowne Plaza from Dubai and they are lovely. Chef even gave me a cooking class last time so I have made some pretty good curries since our return. My DH surfs and where we go there are some great spots for him to completely de-stress, plus I get to go to Galle or sit on the beach and chill out with my nose in a book. And Sri Lanka is so much cheaper than the Maldives and just as pretty, the food is amazing as well. I am organising the trip as a wedding anniversary present for my DH as a surprise but he said the surf isnt too hot at the moment. Only other option is Aragum Bay and there isnt too much over there for me to do. I agree, Maldives in extortionate in comparison. I always recommend people to go to SL instead of similar places that they may be considering, simply because it is so much cheaper and great value for money with a similar lifestyle. Especially once you have been a few times you get to know the good haunts and sounds like you have had good experiences! Aragum Bay is pretty but I agree, unless you are ready to surf 24/7 there is little to keep you occupied. South Coast is so well developed now, you can treat yourself to lots of treatments, sites and nice restaurants etc :-)
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:21
No, I think I will possibly stay at the same hotel, all the staff are either ex Jumeirah or Crowne Plaza from Dubai and they are lovely. Chef even gave me a cooking class last time so I have made some pretty good curries since our return. My DH surfs and where we go there are some great spots for him to completely de-stress, plus I get to go to Galle or sit on the beach and chill out with my nose in a book. And Sri Lanka is so much cheaper than the Maldives and just as pretty, the food is amazing as well. I am organising the trip as a wedding anniversary present for my DH as a surprise but he said the surf isnt too hot at the moment. Only other option is Aragum Bay and there isnt too much over there for me to do.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:16
I have been quoted 30,000 LKR return to Welligama. Now I am feeling ripped off too! Littleone that is ridiculous! They built a new express highway last year from the airport that goes directly to Galle, it only takes about 2 hours on a perfect road. You shouldn't pay more than 15000 LKR for private car with AC, and even less if you negotiate and take a regular van or car. Its absolutely ridiculous kareemab, we were there in March and they have nearly doubled the price of the transfer so I am not particularly happy. They actually opened the road all the way to the airport the day after we left and the tolls to us arent that expensive but our driver even tried to get us to pay for those on the way. Thank goodness my DH had been there before and was really annoyed that he was trying it on. Poor guy actually fell asleep at the wheel and nearly ran off the road, his reply was that its a boring drive! Unfortunately there are still many people who will try to rip tourists off, its just part of the territory I suppose although that doesn't make it right! Good thing your DH had been before. I always think how lucky I am that my DH is from there or I am sure I would have been in the same situation many times as well. When we went to India that was a nightmare, even with my DH! Has it put you off using the same hotel again seeing as they are increasing prices etc?
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 09:33
I have been quoted 30,000 LKR return to Welligama. Now I am feeling ripped off too! Littleone that is ridiculous! They built a new express highway last year from the airport that goes directly to Galle, it only takes about 2 hours on a perfect road. You shouldn't pay more than 15000 LKR for private car with AC, and even less if you negotiate and take a regular van or car. Its absolutely ridiculous kareemab, we were there in March and they have nearly doubled the price of the transfer so I am not particularly happy. They actually opened the road all the way to the airport the day after we left and the tolls to us arent that expensive but our driver even tried to get us to pay for those on the way. Thank goodness my DH had been there before and was really annoyed that he was trying it on. Poor guy actually fell asleep at the wheel and nearly ran off the road, his reply was that its a boring drive!
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 00:08
Bentota is not actually closer than Galle if you use the new highway, as you have to double back on yourself ie exit at Galle and then go back up the coast towards Colombo as far as BEntota. So more km and time than travelling to Galle, but far preferable than the coastal route anyway. If you do get a taxi at the airport (as we did in APril) be very careful to specify that you want to travel on the new highway, not the coast road. We assumed they would know the best route and got taken the slow way along the coast - it took over 4 hours!! Rush hour around COlombo in the rain - nightmare! I believe the taxi drivers don't always like to take people via the new highway because of the tolls involved, so make sure the driver knows you will pay the toll. Other than that, getting an airport taxi was easy and cheap (though I can't remember what fare we paid). There are a good few taxi desks at arrivals. Do also tell them what sort of vehicle you want. We were squashed in a saloon car for hours (bad choice on our part) and were far more comfortable on subsequent journeys in a van.
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 23:32
We were recently in SL in talpe, just past galle. Paid usd90 (11.7k lkr) for the trip on the highway inc tolls, in a super modern a/c van, bentota is much closer. Contact is Sam [email protected]. Highly recommed him. Pllease tell him julia from alfie's in talpe recommended him amd hioefully he will do you a good deal. Enjoy!
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 20:26
Thank you so much, I think we may do this !
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 20:24
That's outrageous! Last time I went to Trinco (North East coast) which is a minimum 5 hour journey on a terrible road for 10,000 LKR. Bentota isn't that far from the airport in comparison so that price is a definite rip off. Can you negotiate with them? Or are they firmly saying thats the price? This is the hotels price, and we have to prepay by credit card! It is only a 1.5 hour journey. We were thinking about just getting there and seeing who has a decent car and the fare we can negotiate, would this be crazy? Yes this is better and not unsafe at all. There are places in the arrivals terminal that can help you as well. Also gives you the chance to negotiate a good price. DH says the arrivals hall car hires are usually fairly reasonable and fair for foreigners.
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 20:22
I have been quoted 30,000 LKR return to Welligama. Now I am feeling ripped off too! Littleone that is ridiculous! They built a new express highway last year from the airport that goes directly to Galle, it only takes about 2 hours on a perfect road. You shouldn't pay more than 15000 LKR for private car with AC, and even less if you negotiate and take a regular van or car.
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 20:22
That's outrageous! Last time I went to Trinco (North East coast) which is a minimum 5 hour journey on a terrible road for 10,000 LKR. Bentota isn't that far from the airport in comparison so that price is a definite rip off. Can you negotiate with them? Or are they firmly saying thats the price? This is the hotels price, and we have to prepay by credit card! It is only a 1.5 hour journey. We were thinking about just getting there and seeing who has a decent car and the fare we can negotiate, would this be crazy?
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 20:18
I have been quoted 30,000 LKR return to Welligama. Now I am feeling ripped off too!
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 20:12
That's outrageous! Last time I went to Trinco (North East coast) which is a minimum 5 hour journey on a terrible road for 10,000 LKR. Bentota isn't that far from the airport in comparison so that price is a definite rip off. Can you negotiate with them? Or are they firmly saying thats the price?
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 20:09
Mmmm we've been quoted 16,000 !!
Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 20:02
6000 LKR for a private driver approximately - just asked my DH and BIL, they are from Sri Lanka. Are you flying into Colombo? I dont have any recommendation for a driver unfortunately, but that's the rough cost.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY