Hysterectomy in Dubai - anyone done it? experiences please! | ExpatWoman.com

Hysterectomy in Dubai - anyone done it? experiences please!

Latest post on 19 August 2014 - 22:03

Hi, after many years of endometriosis I am planning a hysterectomy (part of my 40th birthday celebrations - hooray!). I'm pondering whether to have it done here in Dubai, or whether to visit my old gyno in UK.
I went to see Dr Liliana Skorski at healthbay polyclinic in Mirdiff and liked her, but I'm concerned more about the broader hospital back up during a major op - the anesthetist, after care etc.
If anyone has any experiences they are willing to share (good and bad) then I'd be grateful to hear.
Many thanks in advance,
angeypangey

Latest post on 24 August 2014 - 10:15
tanks so much everyone, I really appreciate it. I've done some more digging about and spoke to a couple of people who have had it done here. They said they had a fab doctor, but the nursing care was lacking (one of them was a nurse herself and had practised here in dubai, so she should know!). Still pondering. My instinct was UK but I would like to be able to come back to my own bed/home etc and not be apart from the kids and husband. I will continue my enquiries! Thanks again
Latest post on 23 August 2014 - 19:26
Hi, I have had a partial one done exactly year ago in dxb, by dr christain at health bay polyclinic, I did loads of research and was extremely happy with him, he was recommended by my gyno in auh dr tank, who I have been using for the past 8 years or so. give him a try. I had keyhole and was up and about straight away no probs at all.
Latest post on 22 August 2014 - 22:57
I have been seeing Dr Skorski and I have been recommended a hysterectomy too . I am very comfortable with her and was recommended her by a number of friends . I believe the hysterectomy is not as major surgical procedure as it used to be , she is suggesting key hole surgery with an overnight stay in hospital . Personally as yet I have not experienced a problem with a hospital here but I have researched doctors before visiting them . My husband has had surgery here in Dubai and we were very happy with the care he received . My experiences in the uk on the other hand were not so good . You get good and bad everywhere .
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 11:27
If your insurance covers you back in the UK I'd opt to go to UK every time. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 11 months ago and whilst I was happy with the treatment I received prior to operation here in Dubai and had every test known to man done and given a clean bill of health apart from the BC I suspect some of these check ups were more financially driven rather than medically needed. I was happy with my choice of surgeon, however after much deliberation and research I opted to go back to the UK for the surgery and subsequent radiotherapy. One of the most over riding factors was being confident that my surgeon would probably still be around for the following years check ups, being able to discuss success / survival rates etc. Here in Dubai medical professionals and indeed patients are so transient it is difficult to gain précis figures. The surgeon I selected indeed is top of his field and subsequently I found out that he operated successfully on a friend of mine 11 years ago - that sort of statistic would be difficult to find here. One other reason was the quality and experience of the auxiliary medical staff provided here in Dubai, whilst on the customer care front they are very good, I do have doubts about some of their competency levels. Also having the support of family and friends back home was an over riding factor. Good luck with your decision and speedy recovery. <em>edited by dally on 20/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 11:03
That is a very brave step and hope all goes well for you. Personally I would rather have a major operation such as this back in the UK. A friend had a hysterectomy here, cant remember which hospital, and it caused no end of problems. She had many months off work, two further surgery's to try to put things right but in the end had to travel to the UK for a final operation where they knew what they were doing! Good luck

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY