Salary/package advice please! | ExpatWoman.com

Salary/package advice please!

Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:14

Hi ladies, I have been reading this forum for a while and thought you would be the best people to ask for advice about this. We have known we were going to be reloating to dubai for almost a year now, my husbands current employer wants him there starting new offices instead of in the UK where we are now. I just would like an insight into this package we've been offered and if it's going to make for a nice life for our family? Sorry if it's a lot of info, trying to cover everything!

30000 AED per month
Housing allowance 180k AED
All bills paid (elec/water etc)
Car allowance either company car or 3000AED per month
School fees paid for both children, 9yo has been accepted to Nord Anglia and full fees covered (inc books/uniform etc) and will be same for 2yo next year
One flight back home per year for our family
Medical/dental cover for my husband, 1000AED per month for myself and our children
36k AED yearly bonus

On top of this there is
25k AED relocation payment for start up costs
180k AED relocation bonus
7 day trip to Dubai for all of us to secure housing with meals, rental car, accom etc paid
1200 lb air shipment plus 40ft container for moving

Does this sound ok or un-liveable? I have no idea what living costs are like in Dubai, googling things can only tell you so much. Hopefully you lovely ladies can advise me! I should probably add that I am very much looking forward to moving, have been to Dubai in the past on holiday but obviously it's very different when you live there. Which areas should we be looking at living? I've heard the traffic can be bad at times. Oh and my husband will be working in Al Quoz.

Thanks in advance! :)

Latest post on 22 August 2014 - 12:04
Layan properties are all standard price. If you look on Dubai properties you will get a list of prices..think it might be 175k for a 3 bed and 195 for a 4 bed but I would need to recheck. The great thing is that you are not at beck and call re landlords putting prices up to silly levels. Roads around Layan are fast and you can get pretty much anywhere quickly.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 21:30
You would want to live closer to where your husband works because the commute can be very time consuming, especially during rush hours - which is by the way, most of the day.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 17:40
Have a look at Layan on propertyfinder.ae I think there were a couple of three beds for between AED 180k and 200k not so long ago and they are lovely. There's also Al Waha nearby too <em>edited by Geordie expat on 21/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 17:36
Other option re a pool is to take a membership somewhere like the Polo club which gives you use of pool,and facilities. It can be way cheaper than the extra rent required to get a place with. Pool. Villas in Layan, Dubailand are nice and access to a 25m pool, gym, community shop etc etc. it is far out but basically I can get pretty much anywhere in Dubai in 25 mins. That sounds ideal, is that where you are? I have looked at a few properties in Dubailand and they are lovely. Seeing as my husband currently does a 1.5 hour commute each way to work it doesn't seem far out to us at all, anything less than that would be amazing!
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 17:33
Thanks all! I will definitely check out Arabian Ranches, sounds lovely! As for the health insurance, on double checking it's actually more like 800AED per month (amounts are all listed in USD and my mental currency conversion is shocking), I don't know what other people receive/pay but to me, paying that amount for full coverage including vision and dental doesn't seem like a lot at all? Especially seeing as everything else is paid anyway. The only thing to consider that if for some reason you make a lot of claims on you health insurance then the cost of it might shoot up the following year. Has your husband asked about his company covering the whole family? It seems a little odd that they aren't, he is clearly on a family package and the norm (as far as I am aware) would be for coverage for the whole family. Yes he has asked but apparently it's company policy, my husband is a manager himself, but even his manager above him wasn't able to make the company pay for his family. I guess it's just the way they do it. But we'd rather have to pay for health insurance than school fees, so we're counting ourselves lucky haha! :)
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 15:08
Other option re a pool is to take a membership somewhere like the Polo club which gives you use of pool,and facilities. It can be way cheaper than the extra rent required to get a place with. Pool. Villas in Layan, Dubailand are nice and access to a 25m pool, gym, community shop etc etc. it is far out but basically I can get pretty much anywhere in Dubai in 25 mins.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 10:37
You will have difficulty finding a villa with a private pool in your budget. But most of the planned communities like the Ranches and Springs have community pools, and pretty much all compounds have a compound pool. Having a private pool can be a right headache if you're not used to it. There's the expense of maintaining it, not all private pools have a chiller which means it's hot as bathwater during the summer, and of course there's the child safety factor.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 10:15
Thanks all! I will definitely check out Arabian Ranches, sounds lovely! As for the health insurance, on double checking it's actually more like 800AED per month (amounts are all listed in USD and my mental currency conversion is shocking), I don't know what other people receive/pay but to me, paying that amount for full coverage including vision and dental doesn't seem like a lot at all? Especially seeing as everything else is paid anyway. The exchange rate is 3.68 - between Dollar & Dhs
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 10:14
And IMHO you don't want to live in Dubai without a pool :) I have always stayed where there was a pool and only ever done in once when i was living in Hilton AD any years ago and only because i wanted to see the view at pool level as they'd begn billing the island off the corniche. Since that - not touched pool water. Possibly... but a pool is a major bonus with kids. Especially in the warmer months when it's difficult for them to exercise outside. & Adults alike, personally for me I couldn't handle the whole summer or warmer winter months for that matter without a pool - I am not a lover of the sand/beach so for me it is a MUST
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 10:12
Thanks all! I will definitely check out Arabian Ranches, sounds lovely! As for the health insurance, on double checking it's actually more like 800AED per month (amounts are all listed in USD and my mental currency conversion is shocking), I don't know what other people receive/pay but to me, paying that amount for full coverage including vision and dental doesn't seem like a lot at all? Especially seeing as everything else is paid anyway. The only thing to consider that if for some reason you make a lot of claims on you health insurance then the cost of it might shoot up the following year. Has your husband asked about his company covering the whole family? It seems a little odd that they aren't, he is clearly on a family package and the norm (as far as I am aware) would be for coverage for the whole family. If you can get the company to pay for your health insurance than that is a bonus. CIGNA is definately one of the best insurance companies. Keep in mind that you are getting a discounted group rate from the company, most health insurance out here is paid yearly so the ability to pay monthly is a good bonus. It's not compulsory for companies to provide health insurance for employees families.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 09:17
Thanks all! I will definitely check out Arabian Ranches, sounds lovely! As for the health insurance, on double checking it's actually more like 800AED per month (amounts are all listed in USD and my mental currency conversion is shocking), I don't know what other people receive/pay but to me, paying that amount for full coverage including vision and dental doesn't seem like a lot at all? Especially seeing as everything else is paid anyway. The only thing to consider that if for some reason you make a lot of claims on you health insurance then the cost of it might shoot up the following year. Has your husband asked about his company covering the whole family? It seems a little odd that they aren't, he is clearly on a family package and the norm (as far as I am aware) would be for coverage for the whole family.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 08:36
To add - Cigna Global Health is the company, and the amount for adding myself and the children would be paid via payroll for us Just to add - from the impression I have been given this is one of the best medical insurance companies out there, even better than BUPA - so yes do what you can to get yourself and the children added on to the package, often works out cheaper too if it is part of a group scheme! We're with Cigna and it's very, very good. <em>edited by farthestpoint on 21/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 02:09
Thanks all! I will definitely check out Arabian Ranches, sounds lovely! As for the health insurance, on double checking it's actually more like 800AED per month (amounts are all listed in USD and my mental currency conversion is shocking), I don't know what other people receive/pay but to me, paying that amount for full coverage including vision and dental doesn't seem like a lot at all? Especially seeing as everything else is paid anyway.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 21:50
And IMHO you don't want to live in Dubai without a pool :) I have always stayed where there was a pool and only ever done in once when i was living in Hilton AD any years ago and only because i wanted to see the view at pool level as they'd begn billing the island off the corniche. Since that - not touched pool water. Possibly... but a pool is a major bonus with kids. Especially in the warmer months when it's difficult for them to exercise outside.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 20:46
I agree with Daza, Arabian Ranches is a great community and definitely one to consider if it is within your budget. If you plan to come over for a visit I would recommend taking a day to drive to the different locations suggested so you can get a feel for them. As others mentioned some are still like building sites, which does get you more for your money but there are less facilities.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 19:29
I live in Arabian Ranches and love it. It is handy to both Nord Anglia and Al Quoz. It has great community pools, tennis courts, skate ramp, two licensed restaurants at the Golf Club and a shopping center with supermarket, restaurants, Costa, fast food, book shop etc. It's an established community with a really nice feel and there are a lot of families here. You might be able to get a three bed + study in Al Reem for your budget. http://www.househuntersdubai.com/index.php?m=search&web=1&act=details_property&id=5099
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 18:32
You need to get a better medical cover for sure. The consultation fee here is 400-500! Dentist is also a rip off (ie, my last visit I had a check up, xray and a polish and that was nearly 800)
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 15:45
And IMHO you don't want to live in Dubai without a pool :) I have always stayed where there was a pool and only ever done in once when i was living in Hilton AD any years ago and only because i wanted to see the view at pool level as they'd begn billing the island off the corniche. Since that - not touched pool water.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 15:03
schm25 looks like a very good package to me. i am covered by Cigna and they are great, i would say 1000aed per month for the 3 of you doesnt seem too much as you will get a lot for that. obviously all paid for is better however if they wont then its still good. good luck with your move. i believe the school is in al barsha- there are lots of communities within 20 minutes drive..
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 14:35
If all of lives expenses are covered bar food, the salary can be worked around to provide for whatever type of life needed. Those struggling here are those without allowances for living, for school etc because these prices change frequently and salaries rarely increase.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 13:41
Great, pool is now on the list of must haves too! I feel slightly better now that I won't be going in blind, at least if I have a few things in mind it will help with making a decision! Flying out in the next couple of weeks to have a look and hopefully find something! Thanks :)
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 13:14
Al Barsha could be good and you would be able to find a good villa within budget and not far from Al Quoz. You could maybe get a 3 bedroom in Jumeirah Park, which is a newer community next to Springs. They have their own newly opened community centre there. Where is the school located? The school is (on google maps) between miracle garden and jumeirah village circle? I have seen some nice villas in Al Barsha but I was advised by someone not to pick a home that is not in a gated compound? I found that weird but I guess as I know nothing about living in dubai I just blindly accepted it. If this is not the case then I guess that opens up far more choice!
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:59
Thank you Tallybalt I think that's exactly what we'll do the first day we get there, just drive around and get a feel for some areas, maybe try the drives during rush hour too! Pollydxb1 - that's so reassuring to hear, thanks! We will definitely make sure medical is sorted, it's scary leaving the UK and the NHS, as flawed as it is at times it is free.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:55
To add - Cigna Global Health is the company, and the amount for adding myself and the children would be paid via payroll for us Just to add - from the impression I have been given this is one of the best medical insurance companies out there, even better than BUPA - so yes do what you can to get yourself and the children added on to the package, often works out cheaper too if it is part of a group scheme!
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:44
Dubailand is a construction zone so a lot of the communities aren't finished. Also, it feels "far out" compared to the closer in communities like the Springs/Meadows or the older areas like Jumeira and Umm Suqeim, and you will spend a lot of time driving around, including on humongous highways. I live in Umm Suqeim and have both the beach and shopping within walking distance, and can't imagine living out in Dubailand, even if some of the more completed communities like Victory Heights are quite nice, but that's me personally. When you get to Dubai do drive around and you'll get a feel for the different areas and you'll know what works for you.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:43
To add - Cigna Global Health is the company, and the amount for adding myself and the children would be paid via payroll for us
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:39
Thanks for the quick replies ladies! We don't live an extravagant lifestyle just now, we eat out maybe twice a month and rarely go out without the children (nights out etc) but that's more because we already live away from our families and have no babysitters! The health insurance is something I will have my husband ask about. I did research it and it's a good standard of cover which normally costs a lot more but we only have to pay a small amount to add myself and the kids on if that makes sense? I had looked at dubailand and seems you get a lot more for your money there, is there a reason for this? I'm not sure about the springs area, from pictures it all looks like rows and rows of the same houses and seems you don't get very much yet pay higher rent? Though it is a good location for the school and my husbands work. We would be happy to pay a bit extra if we found a place we liked that was more than 180k, also the company are very good and if we found a place at say 195k or something they would pay the extra as a discretionary amount.
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:28
Yes, it's a good package especially given that school fees are completely covered and your utilities are also covered. You will only need to fund a second car out of your base 30,000, along with day to day living expenses. I would just be aware of two things: A housing allowance of 180,000 isn't amazing. It should be enough to get you a three-bed townhouse villa. Nothing remarkable but decent enough. If you want a bigger/stand alone villa you will need to pay closer to 225-235 as a starting point. I would ask who would be responsible for paying the 5% agent's fee and the 5% deposit. Health insurance doesn't seem good enough to me. The company has been generous with the other components of the package, so why aren't they providing full coverage for you and the children too? Good quality health insurance isn't cheap in Dubai, especially if you want a BUPA level health insurance. I'd check with BUPA and find out what it cost to cover you and your children, but I'd still go back to the company and ask them to cover you and the kids. We don't know what your current lifestyle is like or what your objectives are, but if you want to save a lot of money, it's definitely doable on your current package offer as long as you're pragmatic about where you live and aren't extravagant with your activities and social life. Then again, it may be entirely insufficient depending on your lifestyle! <em>edited by Tallybalt on 20/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 August 2014 - 12:19
Hi ladies, I have been reading this forum for a while and thought you would be the best people to ask for advice about this. We have known we were going to be reloating to dubai for almost a year now, my husbands current employer wants him there starting new offices instead of in the UK where we are now. I just would like an insight into this package we've been offered and if it's going to make for a nice life for our family? Sorry if it's a lot of info, trying to cover everything! 30000 AED per month Housing allowance 180k AED All bills paid (elec/water etc) Car allowance either company car or 3000AED per month School fees paid for both children, 9yo has been accepted to Nord Anglia and full fees covered (inc books/uniform etc) and will be same for 2yo next year One flight back home per year for our family Medical/dental cover for my husband, 1000AED per month for myself and our children 36k AED yearly bonus On top of this there is 25k AED relocation payment for start up costs 180k AED relocation bonus 7 day trip to Dubai for all of us to secure housing with meals, rental car, accom etc paid 1200 lb air shipment plus 40ft container for moving Does this sound ok or un-liveable? I have no idea what living costs are like in Dubai, googling things can only tell you so much. Hopefully you lovely ladies can advise me! I should probably add that I am very much looking forward to moving, have been to Dubai in the past on holiday but obviously it's very different when you live there. Which areas should we be looking at living? I've heard the traffic can be bad at times. Oh and my husband will be working in Al Quoz. Thanks in advance! :) Yes it is a very good package! Rent and school fees are the killers here and that is covered for you You have many areas to live in to chose from Arabian Ranches The Springs The Lakes Jumeriah Village Triange Jumeriah Islands Rents can be expensive but it depends on what size property you need Have a look on www.justrentals.ae

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY